600W Grolux Lamp any good for my eyes?

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by azezal, Apr 4, 2007.

1. azezal

azezal Member

Hi all. I have a 600W Grolux lamp and its not in the closet. Just wondering what effect its having on my eyes being near it. Not an expert on light, but is it like a sun lamp or something?

2. vactom

vactom Fire on the Mountain

Nah, my uncle's growing room is 6x6 with one 600W HPS sodium replacement bulb every 2 feet. And he goes in there for like 10 minutes every day or so and his eyes are fine.

3. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

Its UV radiation that you should worry about. Bad for skin and eyes.

Its not like sunbathing under the ozone hole but don't stare at the bulb :)

From High Times:

There's always a certain amount of risk involved when using HID lamps. Shattering the bulb is the most serious danger. You must be extremely careful not to get the bulb wet in any way. If you mist your plants, move the light up first and be very careful not to overspray and hit the lamp. Even the moisture from your hands can cause it to break under the right conditions. Wear gloves when you handle them. As far as radiation and UV, be cautious. Wearing long sleeves and pants, a hat, gloves, and UV-blocking sunglasses when you're in the garden will reduce the risks you mentioned. Limiting the amount of time you're in the garden will also help. Replace your bulbs regularly (every 6 months to a year depending on usage), and buy good quality fixtures. But don't be too concerned. Millions of people work around these lights every day with few serious side effects. If you're still concerned, taking the steps outlined above will reduce the risk of injury or long term harm. Also, safety warnings have been published many times in HIGH TIMES and in most cultivation books. Sometimes people overlook them. Maybe this letter will help more people pay closer attention.

4. mr.greenxxx

mr.greenxxx Not an Average Bear

lol, man ur pc is more dangerous that my hps light, lol spill some coffee on the keyboard and ull electicute urself, now be scared for your life

5. vactom

vactom Fire on the Mountain

^^Tru dat.