50 years ago today: Easy Rider premieres

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by newo, Jul 14, 2019.

1. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yea!!! Loved the movie. Now I know why I grew Peter Fonda sideburns this year.

2. I've never seen it.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've watched it a couple times. i assume it made sense at the time, but it really didn't hold up well. for me, it was one of the most boring movies i've ever seen. but of course, i wasn't even born until 15 years after it came out.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I watched earlier this year. Yeah was a bit all over the place I get how it's a cult classic though.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've seen it once, I think the character development is pretty good but there wasn't a ton of substance to the plot for me.

I probably wouldn't watch it again on my own accord but I think it represents an interesting perspective of the counter culture.

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Somewhere I read that Fonda said the "Captain America" motorcycle very hard to handle, especially in the bridge scenes when he had crosswinds hitting him. The rake was too extreme with those "ape hanger bars" I believe.
    Four bikes were used. Three were stolen and the one that gets wreaked at the end was rebuilt by Dan Haggerty (Grizzly Adams). It's the only real one left.
    [​IMG]

Is the movie relevant?

Asmodean and themnax like this.
  7. MeAgain

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  8. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And of course....

MeAgain likes this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

50 years ago, there were a lot of other things going on around the same time, that easily upstaged it.
    moon landing, viet nam war and exit there from, civil rights marches and so on.
    but it did provide an outlet and safety valve that let us forget about them, if only for its own moment.

oddly i remember more the song, that i think may have been inspired by it, but not directly, with the line "i wonder if anyone would think we filipped, if we went to l.a. by way of omaha".

(also i think alices resteraunt found what sleazy rider couldn't)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It’s incredible just how much shit was going on all at the same time back in 1969 like the Tet Offensive, Woodstock, the aforementioned Easy Rider,
    The Tate LaBianca murders by the Manson Family, The Moon Landing,…..

That must have been some ride for those of you who lived through it

WritersPanic likes this.
  11. MeAgain

Yes, it was.

Mustard Tiger and Tyrsonswood like this.
  12. Daretobare

Daretobare Member

I agree... It was a great era

13. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, Nixon was the new President and we had high hopes. *Sigh*

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I love this movie to death.

Romantic and harsh and confronting. An excellent portrayal of two free souls on a trip to their country that's both in an amazing flux (new subcultures, young folks starting communes etc.) and rather backwards (intolerant and mad sad rednecks who give the word conservative an unneccesary bad name).
    Yes, they found the true America in several ways. Unfortunately the ending is a very typical and true part of 'merca as well. A solid reminder

Daretobare likes this.
  15. Asmodean

• Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

16. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^^^^^...This Post "Scared" Me.....:worried:

Cheers Glen.

17. Asmodean

We're on the other side of the world :)

18. I was conflicted when I saw this (many years after it was in theaters). The fact they were drug smugglers seemed to be washed away with the idea that they were some sort of freedom riders. But maybe the lesson, if there was one, is more about the consequences of throwing caution to the wind in the quest to express your freedom. When you're smuggling drugs, it's best to keep a very low profile. In this case though, it wasn't the cops who became the biggest problem for them. It was some random encounter by people they grossly and arrogantly underestimated. A very haunting end that had me wondering why they weren't packing heat for such a venture. And why he got back on the bike and drove toward the maniacs.

19. Asmodean

Arrogantly? Lol.

They weren't packing heat because they weren't that kind of drug smugglers, so it wouldn't have helped one bit in a police encounter. And they didn't consider that 2 of those folks in a car would do the most horrible thing. Yes, they expected antagonising and maybe an attempt of getting into a physical row but not this. And why should they? Rather extreme action don't you think...
    They were free and not living in fear. Those punks with the shotgun were stuck in their fearful views and felt the need to affirm their position in a preposterous way.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  20. Asmodean

I think we can both agree the word arrogant fits the guys with the shotgun better. Or those nutcases that beat someone to death.