5 yr autistic child humiliated & kicked out of school

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*, May 29, 2008.

1. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

So, a teacher decided to kick out a 5 yr old child and humiliate him. this is what i saw on fox this morning, i thought it was really disturbing. teachers think they can get away with this? what kind of person would put this child through all of this!

Hundreds of parents of autistic children are signing an online petition to get Florida teacher Wendy Portillo fired for her alleged tactics toward a 5-year-old boy that mirror the reality show “Survivor.”
    Morningside Elementary School in Port St. Lucie, Fla., alerted Melissa Barton this year that her son, Alex, suffers from a high-functioning form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome, FOX 29 reported.
    Barton claims that Alex was punished for symptoms of his disability, such as humming and eating his homework. She says Portillo went too far last week when she kicked Alex out of class, and then allowed the other students to vote on whether he should be allowed back in.

Each student was also allowed to say what he or she did not like about Alex. By a 14-to-2 margin, the students voted Alex out of class, according to The South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
    “She said this was her way of correcting his behavior,” Barton said. “I asked him how that made him feel and he said, ‘I feel sad.’”

Classmates Vote 5-year-old Out of Class Barton has filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer, who investigated the matter, Port St. Lucie Police Department spokeswoman Michelle Steele told the Sun-Sentinel.
    But the state attorney's office decided the matter did not meet criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said.
    The teacher has been disciplined, however.
    “Ms. Portillo has been reassigned outside of the classroom at the district offices until any further action may be determined," St. Lucie County School District said in a statement.
    Alex has not returned to school since the incident, and Barton says he won’t be going back.
    "He was incredibly upset," Barton told the Sun-Sentinel. "The only friend he has ever made in his life was forced to do this."

Dude111 likes this.
  2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

A sign of the times.

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Yeah, that sucks.

Lets hang the guilty party.

Public hanging! Hell yeah!

4. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

fired? insufficient punishment! I, too, vote for a good old fashion lynching.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Honestly though... this is just an isolated incident that is getting blown way out of proportion. Yeah, it happens... it sucks... precautions were taken. This doesn't illustrate anything about anything... it's just pure stupidity in the teacher (note... kindergarden/primary teachers usually don't tend to be the most intelligent people to begin with), and a horde mentality in the children which they cannot possibly be blamed for since the teacher didn't tell them that it was wrong.

Let it go and get over it.

Other teachers aren't abusing autistic kids. Don't start doubting one of the only honest professions left on earth.

6. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I thought aspbergers was a low functioning form of autism? No?

7. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

I agree! i think that would be the appropriate punishment.

8. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Florida again. Surprise.

At least they did use cuffs like the Florida police did on that kindergarten girl a couple years ago.

Three against one is a little unfair.

[​IMG]

9. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

Wow that girl looks so tough they should have used their mace...

10. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

hang the kid for sure :D

11. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

When Im a judge I am going to beat some ass.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm sure she got a good tasing

13. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

god... it's shit like this that makes me so righteously angry i could kill someone. ok, probably not, but it does make me awfully pissed off.

i've worked with (and am currently applying to do so again) people with developmental disabilities, and they are the most amazing people i've ever met. how someone who KNOWS about a child's developmental disability could punish a child in this way, for something as simple as humming or eating their homework (which i think is hysterical by the way!), is beyond me. autistic children have a hard time relating to their peers and pretty much everyone else anyway... to set a classroom of children against him like that....

she should at the very least be fired, and given extensive counseling on appropriate ways of dealing with classroom disruptions in addition to being given extensive training on how to deal with children with disabilities, if she ever wants to continue teaching. damn.

on a side note... why the hell is a 5 year old being given homework anyways? lol... i would have eaten it too when i was 5. christ almighty, i'm gonna homeschool my kids.

14. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

15. hitsuzen

hitsuzen Member

I posted about this the other day.
    And yeah... it totally broke my heart. What a horrible woman. He's a beautiful little boy.

16. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

didnt we already have a thread about this?
    teacher sucks, shoudl be fired, hoping it doesnt fuck the kid up too bad.

17. secret_agent_amanda

secret_agent_amanda Member

What's with this? Anyone want to give me the back story?

18. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

selling crack in school

19. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

sometimes people really suck. and it's not as unusual as people think it is unfortunately.

20. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member