47% Believe Legal Weed Will Make Roads Less Safe

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by BongSolo, Jul 10, 2015.

1. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

A drunk driver runs a stop sign
    A stoner waits for it to turn green

3 people like this.
  3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

^^^Thats so asinine it's not even funny.

1 person likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

47% of people are dummies. Like a stoned person wants to drive somewhere anyways when there's Netflix.

5 people like this.
  5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I feel like it's only the idiots who already drive drunk who will be stupid enough to drive when they are stoned.

2 people like this.
  6. Gongshaman

Wake 'n baked for over thirty years, almost always drove to work stoned, and in a major metropolitan city. Safety meetings, 10 o'clock break, lunch break, afternoon break...then toke up on the highway on the way home. I still maintain a perfect driving record, and though I don't get stoned as much as I used to, I think nothing of driving baked.

The only time I might feel a little uncomfortable is if I'm stoned and have to drive a strange rig for the first time. Like once after I got really baked at lunch, they tossed me the keys to this giant drilling rig for me to deliver to a shop, 15 highway miles away. I didn't even have a CDL, let alone know how to drive a split axle!
    I managed to get it to the shop, and no one knew that I nearly shit my pants getting it there! I found out those big rigs don't stop too well with just the brakes, LOL

If weed gets you too stoned to drive, don't drive...or smoke less. LOL smoke and drive responsibly

3 people like this.
  7. Mattekat

I'm the same way as you with weed it doesn't affect me very much. Not everyone can function like that on weed though. And I don't think things like that should just be left for people to decide themselves. It would be nice if everyone wasn't stupid and knew their limits, but the truth is there are idiots out there. This is why we have laws. Not because we think YOU IN PARTICULAR can't handle your shit, but because we think that not everyone out there can.

1 person likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I for one would agree and add to the percentage had I been included. I'm not a fan of any sort of intoxicated driving.

When I'm stoned I won't drive, or I'll get someone else to if need be.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gongshaman

While I might agree there are too many dumbshits out there, dumbshit laws still annoy me. The ones you gotta worry about don't care about the laws anyway. We've got people in this state driving around with five and six dui's. Passing tougher legislation has proven difficult, I suspect because it's some of our boozer legislators that might end up feeling the sting!

Booze ( when I used to drink) makes me a more bold and reckless driver.
    Weed makes me a more cautious and reserved driver, and a lot less likely to be annoyed by the antics of the dumbshit drivers. I just let them do their thing while I stay in the safe zone.
    I learned to stay alert and cautious while operating a motor vehicle a long time ago. No more fucking around eating McDonalds breakfasts off the dash while on the highway (like I used to, lol) and no dicking around with the radio in downtown traffic, lol

Driving is probably the most dangerous thing any of us do.

2 people like this.
  10. Mattekat

I guess you are right. The dumbasses who do this sort of thing will do it whether there are laws in place or not...

It's more the dumbshit safety precautions I hate more than the laws. We should be letting the stupid die out more often than we do lol.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

47% of what?

1 person likes this.
  12. Gongshaman

LOL, I agree. Thats why I think ALL drugs should be not only legal, but free, readily available and widely distributed.
    There would be a little tumultuous period, but I think things would settle into an equilibrium after all the chronic abusers killed themselves off. Then the rest of us get to indulge whatever drug of choice... in a responsible manner of course, just the same way millions of people manage to use alcohol and maintain normal productive lives. Why should they have some special privilege to indulge in their drug of choice, which btw happens to be one of the most deleterious.

3 people like this.
  13. ElEyeJaw

ElEyeJaw Banned

A friend of mine did lose his Colorado drivers license after he was caught driving and smoking a joint, so states where it is legal probably all have laws that address this type of thing.

14. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

Iminsul, the 47% of people polled weren't saying they believe someone under the influence of weed has impaired driving abilities. They're stating that they think the roads will become more dangerous if marijuana is legalized. According to the statistics in Colorado and Washington, the roads did not become more dangerous after marijuana was legalized.

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

every research study into this has concluded that persons under the influence of marijuana are safer than alcohol impaired drivers by a long shot and often are safer than sober drivers as well.
    The most consistent and noticeable effect on driving was lateral tracking; a tendency to swerve back and forth slightly in the lane, but not to a degree to be real safety concern.

47% of people polled expressed their ill-informed opinions, not the facts.

in every study done concerning opiate and cocaine addiction where participants were allowed access to clean, safe drugs to maintain their addictions, a staggering percentage of the participants went on to get jobs and get their lives back in order, all while maintaining their addictions.
    It often isn't the addiction itself that is the source of so many social issues related to drug abuse, it's the laws concerning it and lack of safe substances.

2 people like this.
  16. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

how come the title says 47%, but the article says 29%? And if you include a little + a lot, you get 48%. And that the number is pretty much identical to how people view roads whether pots legal or not. Reading the whole article, didn't find "47%" of any thing
    [​IMG]

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I assume they think the roads will become more dangerous because of inpairedness while driving under the influence?

I don't really care what the statistics show or prove, but I'd be much happier with intoxicated persons off the road.

18. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

I think they're adding the 30% who say legalization will make the roads "a lot less safe" with the 17% who say it will make roads "a little less safe" to get the 47% who believe that roads will be less safe in general in the wake of legalization.

19. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

I respect your opinion. It's just that statistics in the states of Colorado and Washington show that there has been no increase in traffic violations a year after legalization.

1 person likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

2 people like this.