40's hairstyle

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by lucyinthesky, Jul 16, 2006.

1. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

I have a wedding to go to next saturday, and i have a really cute 40's inspired navy blue dress to wear to it. I know that a 40's hair and makeup do will go perfect with it....but i have no idea what to do for the hair. My hair is very long so i can't have a supreme 40's bob....i'm aiming for something along the lines of kate beckinsale in Pearl Harbor...

i like this one

[​IMG]

but i'd like the curls at the bottom to be bigger....like this

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

keep in mind my hair is naturally curly/wavy so to get this look should i straighten, then curl? or just set in curlers and let it air dry, or what??? HELP MEEEEEE

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I personally prefer the first pic, but that's just me.

3. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

I too, love the first pic....timeless! Plus it looks easy to maintain all day!:)

4. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

Since your hair is naturall wavy, you could either let it air dry and use a medium barrel curling iron, then brush through all the curls so they all come together....bush like you normally would. The run your fingers through the waves, and the curl will start to come back, and twist the hair with your fingers to make them stand out a little more again. The brushing makes it a lot softer, and the style stays in longer.
    Or you could use that air-drying time for rollers (though they can be hell to put in yourself) and use the same combing trick.

5. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I love that hairdo in the first pic!

6. denimstar

denimstar edge of darkness

Snoods never go out of style in my book for long hair. Agreed the top pic is beautiful.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

can't help on curls, but the front of pic 1 is a roll secured with combs. The good news? hair washed the day before holds it best. or washed with gels added.

8. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

I'm a fan of styling my hair the day after it's been washed. Unfortunately my hair tends to get extremely tangled when i let it go making it impossible to control the next day. To brush makes it super poofy and rips a lot of hair out, and to leave it it's a tangly rats nest.

9. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

^^^ lol, I do the same thing. My hair is fairly long and wavy, too, and I heardly every brush it. Once in a blue moon I curl it....other than that it's a large clip to keep it off my face. But most of the time, it's just lots of tangles.