$3800 is how much my car will take to repair

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by LuckyStripe, Jun 2, 2007.

1. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Since it needs a new transmission.

So now I have no idea what I'm going to do..... absolutly crazy though since the car inself only cost me $4500.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Might as well buy a new (used) car.

3. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Yeah...that's what I was kinda thinking.

I'm not very happy about this situation at all. Worst possible time for this to happen.

4. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

You can get a transmission cheaper than that. Go to a rebuild shop and see what they can offer you. Ususally you can get yours rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one for a few hundred bucks. I've even pulled transmissions out of the junkyard. The last one I bought was $250 and it lasted me 2 years till I totaled the car.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Well... you can kinda make money on this though.... sell the old car for parts, I'm sure the engine alone could land you 500-1000$. What kind of car is it?

6. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Yeah, LetLovinTakeHold is right. Call around to some of the local junkyards, we've gotten a lot of car parts that way, including a transmission and a "new" engine. You'll save a lot of cash in parts. And if you know somebody who can fix cars, all the better. My husband does all the work on our vehicles. It's rare that we've had to take them somewhere to get serviced. Saves us a lot of money!

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Frankly it pisses me off when unscrupulous businesses try to take advantage of potential customers. You can opt for another car or as has been suggested, shop around for a rebuilt transmission. Good luck to you!

8. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Thanks guys.... well, I'll look into that...... hopefully I can find something cheaper, if that's the route I decide to take (instead of just selling the car parts and getting another car).... Oh and it's a stupid ford zx2. It's a 1998 and only has 50K miles on it...that's why I don't understand why it needs an all new transmission anyways. Cars piss me off.

9. broony

broony Banned

Im sorry, trannies are the worst. =(

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Uhhum, those damn trannies.

[​IMG]

11. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

If you do go this route, let me give a friendly warning about the worst case scenario:

So you find some sucker, er I mean some one who loves you very much to find a tranny in a junkyard still attached to the car. So your sucker, er I mean loved one pulls the tranny in five minutes. Wait, did I say five minutes:lol:I meant five hours while lying in the dirt in grease with ants crawling allover him while he busts several knuckles. So he wrestles it back home, then pulls your old tranny out in five minutes [​IMG] and puts your "new" one in another five minutes [​IMG] only to discover the "new" one is just as broke as the old one.

12. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

Way crazy girl - reputable transmission rebuilder should be @ $700 tops (I am about 3>4 yrs out of circulation in that field) if possible find a indivdually owned business - but one that has been and hopefully will be around for a while longer- someone is blowing BIG time to tell you $3,800, rediculous is a nice word, MFB is more appropriate.

13. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

I agree. Unless she's got a porsche, $3,800 means a brand new transmission. This shop is trying to hose you. I'd get it outta there pronto and call around for estimates on a rebuild.

14. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

erghhhhhhhhhhh I feel ya I hate car repairs. Do you really need a car in new york? What part upsate are you moving to?

15. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

yea, i agree with asking around for a rebuild...didn't even think of that...but yea, $3800 seems pretty suspect

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

A car may not be necessary in new york city proper, but in upstate new york a car is essential.

Just like here in northern new england a car is your life's blood, it's your tie to the outside world, it's freedom [​IMG]

Hotwater

17. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

middle of nowhere pretty much...just put it this way, it'll be like me living in the middle of Vt with no car and trying to find work and such.....

18. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

the internet is your friend when buying parts. My boy just had a new tranny installed into his mitsubishi eclipse for 900 bucks parts and labor, I am sure you can do better than 3800. First thing is when you go to another place, tell them what you want done, done let them figure it out for you. you tell em you need a tranny, they will quote you a real price, not a fishing expedition price.

19. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Yeah.... those are the type of things I'm kinda worried about happening if I go that route (big if, still no idea what I'm gonna do) but yeah.... maybe not something quite as extreme as that but you get my point....

20. Weaveworld

Weaveworld wayward

I hate dealing with car repairs, what a pain in the ass!
    We had to buy a trannie for my man's two thousand dollar buggy last year. They quoted us more than what we bought the car for.
    I took it to a guy who has a repair shop in a salvage yard. Got it for $650.00..
    I hope you find some place to take it. It's worth asking around, & making a few calls anyway.
    Good luck! :)