$250 Cookies

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Enonemouse, May 19, 2004.

1. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

I had this e-mailed to me but thought this was an even better way to do it then just forward the email!!!!!

$250 Cookies

A little background: Neiman-Marcus, if you don't know already, is a very expensive store; i.e., they sell your typical $8.00 T-shirt for $50.00.
    Let's let them have it!

THIS IS A TRUE STORY

My daughter and I had just finished a salad at a Neiman-Marcus Café in Dallas, and we decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus cookie."

It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe, and the waitress said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not, but you can buy the recipe."

Well, I asked how much, and she responded, "Only two fifty-it's a great deal!" I agreed to that, and told her to just add it to my tab.

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement, and the Neiman-Marcus charge was $285.00! I looked again, and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe-$250.00."
    That was outrageous! I called Neiman's Accounting Department and told them the waitress said it was "two fifty", which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any reasonable interpretation of the phrase.

Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would not refund my money because, according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money at this
    point."

I explained to the Accounting Department lady the criminal statutes which govern fraud in the state of Texas. I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau and the Texas Attorney General's office for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "do what you want. Don't bother thinking of how you can get even, and don't bother trying to get any of your money back."

I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus ...for free.

She replied, "I wish you wouldn't do this."

I said, "Well, perhaps you should have thought of that before you ripped me off!" and slammed down the phone.

So here it is!

Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250 for this, and I don't want Neiman-Marcus to EVER make another penny off of this recipe!

NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES

Note - Recipe may be halved

2 cups butter
    24 oz. chocolate chips
    4 cups flour
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. salt
    2 cups sugar
    1 (8 oz.) Hershey Bar (grated)
    5 cups blended oatmeal
    4 eggs
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
    Cream the butter and both sugars.
    Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda.
    Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, and nuts.
    Roll into balls, and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
    Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

Makes 112 cookies.

2. Mari

Mari Member

LOL...that's a very old urban legend ;)

I'm sure the recipe is good though! I've seen this so many times but have never tried to make them...maybe I should :)

3. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

...and holy shit, I don't think I'd eat any cookies with TWO CUPS of butter in them.

4. Enonemouse

Yes you have to remember that it makes over 100 cookies so divide it up and it isn't any more then little batches if anything less. I am hoping to try and make some soon so will let you know what they taste like. They do sound good with the grated chocolate in them. No herseys here but I am going to use bourniville bar from here.

Will let you know what happens.

Urban legend or not they sound yummy.

Love & Baking
    EnonEmouse

5. Enonemouse

Ok did some digging on the urban myth thing and found this so figured in all fairness I needed to post it as well.

NM Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

[​IMG]
    An urban myth is a modern folk tale, its origins unknown, its believability enhanced simply by the frequency with which it is repeated. Our signature chocolate chip cookie is the subject of one such myth. If you haven't heard the story, we won't perpetuate it here. If you have, the recipe below should serve to refute it. Copy it, print it out, pass it along to friends and family. It's a terrific recipe. And it's absolutely free.

Ingredients
    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    • 1 egg
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1-3/4 cups flour
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, slightly crushed
    • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
    Directions
    1. Cream the butter with the sugars until fluffy.
    2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract.
    3. Combine the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
    4. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for a crispier cookie. Makes 12 to 15 large cookies.

6. Mari

Mari Member

Sorry I should have posted a link for you. I got this, wow...almost 7 years ago I think and I believed it then too. I did some checking then and found out the real story, and I still get it once in awhile. At least this one has something good attached to it! :) LOL

Let us know how they turn out. :D

7. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I've found that a lot of resturants are perfectly willing to give out recipes if you just ask for them.