2001 A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Movies' started by xexon, Aug 16, 2007.

1. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

When this movie first came out. I saw it 6 times over the three days it ran. Still couldn't understand it.

I've seen it about 30 times since.

Any fans?

x

Dude111 likes this.
  2. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

It's one of my favorite movies. I'm a little disappointed with the fact, though, that everyone seems to think you have to watch it on drugs or it sucks. :\ That's such bullshit.

Dude111 likes this.
  3. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

To understand it you really need an open mind :) That's why drugs make it SOOOOO much better

4. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It also helps a lot if you read the book.

5. timewarp

timewarp Member

It grew on me from my 10th view!!! SUPER!

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah, it's a superb movie! Standard it may seems like sci-fi but it rises above the genre really.

7. RightBrigade

RightBrigade Member

I'm in the minority probably, but I liked the book (and subsequent sequels) a lot more.

not to take away from the movie at all, it's still a great flick, but my imagination after reading the book , had a completely different interpretation visually.

8. MrStiffy

MrStiffy Member

No one makes movies anything like this anymore, unfortunately.

9. michaela_fraze

michaela_fraze Member

an awesome experience. i've seen it like 5 or 6 x and always find something new in it maybe cause i'm in different space and place in time myself. first time i was sittin in 1st row and terrified about all the monkeys and stuff. what a piece of movie making. it belongs in classics too.

10. Help!_1965

Help!_1965 Member

i like the movie alot, but i don't understand it... but still, i like it. there's something in it that makes me like it, i dunno why:)

11. ESRUOS ENO

ESRUOS ENO Senior Member

"You will jepordize the mission Dave and I cant allow that to happen" and " Im losing my mind Dave" are my favorite lines in the movie. You should watch 2010 to finish the story line otherwise you are sort of left hanging in space.

12. newo

Arthur C. Clarke also wrote a third installment in the series, 2061: Odyssey Three", which hasn't been made into a movie yet, but I recommend reading it to tie up all loose ends.

13. ESRUOS ENO

ESRUOS ENO Senior Member

Thank for that info Ill check it out

14. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

The movie is easy as fuck to understand. The dawn of man: the evolution of Ape to man, and discovery of tools... Leap to the future: Man masters tools and explores outer-world... tools betray man, men cease to exist... the moral is more complex to that but that is it.

15. newo

If they ever do turn 2061 into a movie they'll have to do it without Roy Scheider. He died today.

16. ESRUOS ENO

ESRUOS ENO Senior Member

Kubric Rocks!!!!!!
    Something Wonderful Is Going To Happen......

17. ESRUOS ENO

ESRUOS ENO Senior Member

Its sad

the best of on screen actor. But he certainly left a mark in my mind.
    Jaws, Blue thunder, 2010. I cant place him in any others those I can he was great..........

18. Ripley

Ripley Member

Roy Scheider was such a great actor. He rocked it in "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Lawrence Olivier, and "All That Jazz". He's out there improving the universe......
    And as far as the universe goes, I personally love "2001 A Space Odyssey" above all film, saw it in its original release...been in the shadow of the monolith ever since. Kubrick is the man.

19. Lobbyman

Lobbyman Member

My personal favourite of all time. One of the most complex yet plot easy film ever created. There is also another novel in the series called 3001: The Final Odyssey. To be fair the novel and film have nothing to do with each other.

20. newo

First Roy Scheider, and now Arthur C. Clarke himself is gone. May his final odyssey be a great one.