20 Things that Technology Killed...

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by skip, Dec 22, 2010.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

2. granny_longhair

granny_longhair Member

Most of the things on the list are improvements, I think. Not all, but most.

The one that makes me sad, though, is the demise of bookstores. I love bookstores, but except for B&N, most of them have disappeared. I do use Amazon quite a bit, but not to buy books unless it's something that B&N doesn't have.

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

During earlier times the technology of the thimble killed a vector for blood poisoning.

4. thedope

Not to be flip but that is one of the curious things about technology, for every struggle it replaces it invents a new one. The modern industrialized human has let many basic skills atrophy and has become dependent on, in some ways subservient to, the technologies that are meant to serve.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

I haven't looked at the list yet but I'm sure its going to be awesome. I really do not like the pace of technological process. I'm sure there will be 100 hipforumers to argue against me citing examples such as the fact hipforums is here because of technology, etc. etc. but still. Technology has taken a lot of innocence out of the world and ruined a lot of good things.

Ok now I am reading the article... lol

6. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I got a yellow pages delivered to my door the other week. I use it as a mouse mat.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

I disagree that technology has replaced thing like Encyclopedias or books(text books)..

While the Internet is cool and all. It can not replace a good Text book. You cant flip thru pages, you cant rip pages out, highlight pages. You get the idea..

1 person likes this.
  8. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

I still use many of those things, and a lot of it is not obsolete to older demographics. That list might suit all those under forty, but my parents have a landline phone, a fax machine, use the yellow pages and certainly do not text. These are just the examples I remember off the top of my head.

It is a great indication of where we will be when my generation become the elders, however.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

Sheet music..

cant replaces good old sheet music..

10. The Imaginary Being

Tablature has replaced sheet music. Maybe not in the orchestra, but for learning pieces of music definitely.

1 person likes this.
  11. deleted

deleted Visitor

I dont like tabs.. 5,5,7,8,9,7,3,5,6, isnt like reading notes.. While Im terrible at sheet music,. Im worse when it comes to tabs..

12. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Here's a good one, and topical- manned bomber planes. They use drones now, don't they...

Not really a great technological leap forward though...

13. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

I don't think this list was intended to mean that EVERY SINGLE person adheres to what it lists, its just a general overview intended to induce thought about how fast technology has changed this decade.... Of course there are going to be exceptions. I thought it was a very good article.

14. The Imaginary Being

I'm the other way around. I can read both, but prefer tablature by a long shot.

15. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Kids playing outside.

I miss seeing that and it is not progress.

16. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

I thought encyclopedias were already obsolete. In my opinion they are a gigantic waste of trees. What's the point of trying to read about something if there's only going to be a tiny ass paragraph? The only thing I've ever used them for is trying to stretch those paragraphs into 2 page long essays in middle school

You'd be better off reading one of those "for dummies" books than reading an encyclopedia

17. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

They forgot Newspapers!

18. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

People still read newspapers,more than ever in fact. God know why because they are mostly full of shite,and boring. I guess that is why they read them on the train and the bus.

19. broony

broony Banned

SO much of this outdated technology become treasure items very soon. I won't ever ged ride of my VHS player, or my old video games from the 80s. Look a Vinyl records, worth a shit load of money to some.

Just because times change doesn't me we have to.

20. thedope

Here here!