2 years old and not talking???

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sexymesamama, Jun 12, 2006.

1. sexymesamama

sexymesamama Member

My son Tacoma will be 2 on August 5th. He is very advanced in his motor skills, but hasn't decided to start talking yet. He said his first word "mama" last year on mothers day, and then following it coincidentaly he said "dada" on fathers day. Since then he has shown no intrest in speaking to get things or communicate with us verbally. While we had a kitten for a few months he did start saying "kitty" but then the cat dissapeared ,and he just won't talk. Here's the thing though, he COMLETELY UNDERSTANDS WHAT I SAY TO HIM. No matter which toy (in detail) I ask him to get, he will go right away and get it for me. He does the average baby babble while he plays, but not when playing with other kids or myself. He loves to use his vacal chords to yell, laugh, and of course fake cry to get what he wants. Incredibly intellegent, but no verbal communication whatsoever. I'm wanting any positive input from parents who have been in simillar boats, and if theres any way to, not nessasarily increase his vocabulary, but ways to trick him into sounding things out, or mimicking my words. Nothing is really working and everyone tells me to just wait till the morning when he wakes up and wont stop talking....or of course not giving him the things he wants until he says it out loud (which doesnt work). Any help with this would really make my day! Thanks!

2. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

totally normal and nothing to worry about! As long as he understands what you say, and is communicating to you in other ways, it's no big deal. My youngest daughter was the same way. Then, all of a sudden, she started speaking in English, rather than using her made-up sign language and sounds to communicate with us! Now, just a couple months later, you'd never know she hasn't been talking all along. I couldn't begin to count how many words she knows. Don't do anything. He's not even two yet! If he's still the same at age three (and I'd bet our house and property he won't be) then you can go get some help from a speech therapist.

3. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

my sister was like that too. she didn't speak, then all of a sudden she was using complete sentences.

4. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

The only word my now 2y2m old would say until about 5 months ago was "doggie" no mama, no papa, nothing except doggie. Now he talks up a storm, can pair words together and is starting with sentances. You know your child best, but just remember that every child learns at their own pace. My son wouldn't speak, but he could do puzzles.

5. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I second (fifth, whatever :p) what everyone else has said. If he's communicating well, there's nothing to worry about! The little boy of a friend of mine did the same thing. I used to worry about that kid (privately, of course, not to his daddy!), even though he seemed to understand what we said, and had good motor skills etc. I never heard him talk. Except once in a blue moon, he'd say "daddy". And then one day we came over, not a week had passed since we saw him, (he was almost three by this time, and we'd known him since 10 months), and he was speaking in complete, articulate sentences. Even used my name, Linnea, which most grown-ups can't even remember! I guess, with these kids, they feel the need to wait until they either have something REALLY important to say, and/or the vocabulary to REALLY say what they mean.
    Your little one'll probably be talkin your ear off in no time! :)

6. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

completely normal. you only worry when your son is between the ages of 3-5 and looses his verbal skills. That's autism. Most boys are just lazy and don't want to talk until they believe that they are ready.

7. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Oh for those days of silence again. Some days I get so tired of MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY. But on the other hand I'm glad to have a happy healthy talkative little guy. But a day of silence would be nice.

Kathi

8. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

LOL! Right now, my little one is constantly saying "wonder why?" (she was not talking at all just two months ago).
    but what's funnier, is that if I overexplain something, she'll ask me again "wonder why?" and if I don't realize she's making a joke, and attempt to explain further, she'll roll her eyes and laugh at me!