1994 oh how I miss thee...

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Star-Fairy, Jun 26, 2013.

1. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Tonya HardING, I think :mickey:

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

94 wasn't particularly notable for me either way. i'd been married one year, my dad had been dead for 3, and in 96 clinton would defeat whoever the republicrats ran and i really hoped the 90s would be a resurection of the 70s or at least the 60s.

the usual good, bad, and indifferent things were going on all over the place. roseville was getting a new station where amtrak would stop and i was building a model of what it had looked like 50 years before at a museum i was docenting at.

something like that. i'm not sure i got all of those years right. i'm pretty sure i was listening to kvmr on the radio, and the last car i've owned was still running. a hornet wagon. and i finally had a computer again after a number of years without one, but still no internet.

oh and of course the world was going to end in the year 2000.

(the kerrigan harding thing was 84)

3. Echo Catharsis

Echo Catharsis Members

1994 was a crazy year for me. Our family had lost a lot of property in the Bay Area so we moved out of the beloved house in Pinole I grew up in, spent 6 months or so in San Pablo while I finished 5th grade and cried my eyes out when I found out my family was moving again and I wouldn't get to finish and get a graduation from the K-6 elementary school I was going to. We moved to the town I'm currently living in and I started 6th grade in a middle school there.

I had been a huge fan of Power Rangers since they first came out in '93 and had a massive crush on Tommy even though my favorite female ranger was Trini and she was with Billy who I hated at the time. In the Summer of '94, I absolutely loved Stick Stickley on Nick in the Afternoon and thought Marc Wiener's face puppets on Wienerville were the funniest thing ever! It was a little scary music-wise as I got into gangsta rap and was given a talking-to at the DARE program after jumping for joy when we did a roleplay and I was chosen to be in a gang. Luckily, my inner rocker was creeping up on me and I remember all the girls in my 6th grade class painting all our nails dark metallic blue to look alternative and cool.

I remember learning at the tender age of 11 what it meant to be gay or lesbian and hurting my cousin's feelings after spreading rumors that she who was in 8th grade at the same school I went to was my lesbian lover. After finding better and more mind-enhancing activities to do at school and home, I was obsessed with reading and had to read every Baby-Sitter's Club, Goosebumps, and Sweet Valley High book there was, along with books that had to do with Egyptian history and cave people. I dressed up as a firebird/phoenix for my first ever school dance at Halloween and slow danced at the end with my dad who had a weird work schedule and was still in his trucker's uniform, so I joked that he had the perfect truck driver costume!

Christmas of '94 was my first taste of snow in about 7 or 8 years since the last time our family visited the NorCal foothills in the winter. I built a tiny snowman on the rail of our upstairs apartment balcony and I remember dad complaining that he had to dig the car free from such a massive pile of snow!

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

1994 was a great year to be a 9 year old. I miss the grunge music and hiphop from that era.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

1977 was a good year to be 29 years old. that was the year you could first get an affordable personal computer that you didn't have to assemble from a kit.
    i really don't remember anything particularly special about 94. i think bush one was still u.s. prez. 96 was a good year. 91 my dad died.
    94 i was 46 and didn't have internet. kind of the middle of a wasted decade for me that i couldn't figure out how to unwaste.

6. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

1994...oh boy....I was where my kids are today. On my own, I had already been kicked out of the USMC (luckily) and back then I smoked pot every day. I thought I would never get into trouble for anything I did...and I pretty much didn't. The 90's were a great decade for me but looking back....I might have made a few changes and done some things differently.

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

nope

from wikipedia:

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

ah you're right. the early clinton years were still pretty good, dispite following raygun and bush one. his one big fuck up was nafta. and i guess 94 it hadn't happened yet. or sounded like a good deal to everyone who hadn't thought through all the details. as i don't think most of us had.

1 person likes this.