12-string guitars

Discussion in 'Music' started by ThrftShopSweater, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

hey, i just have some informational questions to ask, since i've been considering buying a 12 string... is it played the same as a 6 string?

2. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

For the most part, yes. The extra 6 strings are each an augmentation to the basic 6--same key, higher octave.

The fingerring is the same. Each extra string is close enough to whatever string it's augmenting that you can't help but hold down both.

The only difference that I've noticed is that it takes a little practice to catch both strings when you're finger picking.

3. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

If you were to buy a 12 string, i would suggest playing mainly with a pick. If you can master using your fingers, that would sound really good. I rarley play 12 strings, so i havent had to much experience with them.

I really like them though, beautiful sound. Might be a bit more of a pain to restring though...

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I've had one for 20 years, and I like it. But 12 strings are not the best guitars for finger picking, and tuning can be a pain.

5. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

12 strings have a great sound, but they are a bitch to tune & change the strings! ;)

6. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Totally worth it though.

One thing about them that might be a drawback is the notes aren't as crisp. It's sort of like having a slight echo. It depends on what kind of music you play and what sound you're looking for.

For the most part, I think, almost everything sounds better on a 12 string. there's a sweetness about it.