100th Monkey theory

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by wastingthedawn, Jun 5, 2004.

1. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

Have you guys ever heard of this theory? and if so do you dig it? For those who don't know it is the belief that when a certain amount of people know something (say 100) it will just subconciously spread...They got this idea from an island of monkeys. They would give monkeys fruit that they really liked, but they would throw it in the dirt which they did not like...eventually one monkey learned to wash the dirt off...taught others, who taughts others, and eventually when the 100th monkey learned, it spread some general awareness into the universe and monkeys on all the other island started doing it too...The book "The 100th monkey" where I learned this used it as a sourse of spreading awareness about Nuclear war and how to achieve peace. If we can just teach that certain amount of people (whatever that amount may be) suddenly the whole world may pick it up...and a different will be made. Anyways he wrote it to make people aware, gave it away cheap/free, and it had no copyright because he wanted people to copy it, as long as it got to as many people as possible...anyways I recomend the book, reading it is exciting you always think this could be it, I could be that final bit of energy that completes the cycle...But I just wanted to tell everyone about this becasue I think it is hopeful...Makes me feel I can make more of a difference just by making people aware...and who knows, you could be the 100th monkey...

2. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

um.. hang on.... forgotten what i was going to say...

oh yeah...

who knows..................

lets find out....

3. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

sounds intriging...

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

who wants to be aware? how boring............:rolleyes:

5. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

do I win any prizes if I am the 100th monkey?

i can dig it.

6. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't know if it's actually possible.

Did that writer prove it?

If it works, then it's a great idea and let's get to it, but how could one prove it to somebody else?

Love,
    Borut

7. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

There must be way over 100 on this forum, so we must have some kind of jump start on our subconscious awareness. ;)

I mean, I'm pretty sure that everybody on this forum, inspires somebody in their part of the world...

and they tell their 2 friends
    and they tell their 2 friends and they tell their 2 friends
    and they tell their 2 friends and they tell their 2 friends and they tell their 2 friends and they tell their 2 friends

and so on
    and so on and so on
    and so on and so on and so on
    and so on and so on and so on and so on

8. SamIam

SamIam Member

it could work... you'd probably need a lot more than 100 people though, I'd think several million at least.

peace,
    Sam

9. SunFree

SunFree Member

Crazy. I'm adding that to my summer reading list.

10. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

me as well. sounds really good! have you heard of string theory? It's a pipe-dream theory, but it really inspires me in a way i cant explain. basically i says that the whole world is made of strings and membranes, albeit the explaination goes so much further, i just dont want to explain it :p

11. May Aizelle

May Aizelle Member

12. Illmaeo

Illmaeo Member

it's definitely valid. They did the same type of experiment with humans actually. I can't remember the details of the experiment, but they idea is that they would have a control group solve new york times crossword puzzles the day before they were released. They scored around 50% if I remember correctly. They had the same people solve puzzes the day after the puzzles were printed (basically after many people had solved them) and their success rate jumped up to something like 78%. I don't think you can break it down into 1 out of 100 and whatnot, but the concept of worldwide subconscious is definitely valid.

13. melodiuScorpittarius

melodiuScorpittarius Member

the collective subconscious. energy/electromagnatism/energy fields. a crossword puzzel experiment was done that relates to this.

14. melodiuScorpittarius

^ haha just saw that. thats what im talking about

15. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

melodiuScorpittarius your sig is freakin amazing :D :D :D

16. melodiuScorpittarius

haha the pic?? thanks green girl :)
    peace.

17. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

sounds like a damn good book

author?

18. -peaceman69-

-peaceman69- Member

All the 100th monkey theory proves is that monkeys are smarter than people

19. prismatism

prismatism loves you

:) oh... i love that...

20. KyndVeggie4Peace

KyndVeggie4Peace -[ in.bloom ]-

That is a very interesting idea ... but couldn't you argue that there are well over 100 people on this planet who believe that PEACE is the way to go, and all we need to do is love our neighbor to save our souls?

Assuming this is true, which it is ... wouldn't the whole world be a bunch of tree hugging people lovers? Instead, we still see conflicts erupting everyday, all over the world.