“Young Man”/“Young Lady”? How old were you when started using these?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

Just wondering, I’m 32 years old, and for whatever reason at my job today, a person who looked really clearly in his teens or maybe early 20s called me “Young Man”? “How’s your day so far young man?”

What’s your take on this? Would you be offended if someone really younger than you just approaches you and calls you “Young Man” or “Young Lady”? How old do you think you should be to call people with these terms? Maybe 40 or older? 50 or older? 60 or older? I’m 32 and have never said “Young man” or “young lady” in my life??

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm too old to be called "young"... Seriously.

Echtwelniet likes this.
  3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Me too - will readily admit to being an ancient, decrepit crinkly.

Echtwelniet likes this.
  4. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Unless it's in a joking way, the person saying this should obviously be significantly older than the other person.

5. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

If someone called me "young lady", I'd know for sure they were pulling my leg. I haven't qualified as "young" in a very long time!

I'd guess they were joking with you. If they were serious, they were trying to puff up their own importance, which is a bit un-cool.

Now, I could call you "young man" and get away with it. Except that would make me feel even older than I really am. :)

Calamity Jane likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I get called "hon" a lot, and was addressed as "pops" the other day.
    I haven't been called "young man" since Christ was a corporal.

7. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was looking at morse code telegraphy and getting an amateur radio license, I learned that male amateur radio operators are often referred to a OM (old man). So being called young should be no big deal.
    Oh, and by the way, I work in a field that has a lot of Tagalog speakers. When I asked them about the 'title' that they use to address one another, I found it that it was either Older Brother or Older Sister. Now, THAT I found funny!

8. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

]Kathy darlin' - no, to us crinklies all ladies who do not have (natural) white hair can be addressed as 'young lady' .

KathyL likes this.
  9. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Members

I'm above the age of being called a 'girl' ......but I still get a charge when folks (occasionally) do it. :)

Cphsingle likes this.
  10. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't mind being called a girl. Usually in a group: "girls". The alternative is usually "guys". Eww!

Calamity Jane likes this.