“I am Saddam Hussein, the president of Iraq''

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Claire, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Claire

Claire Senior Member

What do we think to this?...

A defiant Saddam Hussein has rejected charges of war crimes and genocide, telling a judge: "This is all theatre, the real criminal is Bush.''

“I am Saddam Hussein, the president of Iraq,'' Saddam twice said.

Saddam defended the invasion of Kuwait, saying it was "for the Iraqi people''.

The seven broad charges against Saddam are:

the killing of religious figures in 1974;
    gassing of Kurds in Halabja in 1988;
    killing the Kurdish Barzani clan in 1983;
    killing members of political parties in the past 30 years;
    the 1986-88 'Anfal' campaign of displacing Kurds;
    the suppression of the 1991 uprisings by Kurds and Shiites;
    the 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

Specific charges will be filed later, said Salem Chalabi, director of the Iraqi Special Tribunal. Those charges were expected to include war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity.

2. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I notice no mention of the alleged concealment of WMD on the list of charges.

3. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

I may be imagining this, but I am sure I read somewhere that Saddam Hussein approached the UN before he invaded Kuwait and asked for permission to take action against Kuwait's intensive oil cross-drilling. They said yes but didn't think that 'action' meant he would invade.

I can't find a source for this so I might be wrong.

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

i think the guy is slightly dillusional... yet holds some thread of truth about bush being a criminal ...yet i doubt his reasons are the same as ours for thinking this.

5. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Sort of found what I was looking for

http://www.newsbatch.com/iraq.htm

6. JOsie

JOsie Member

considering that he was installed as a dictator by the US government at the time...it all seems to be avoiding the subject.

7. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Nonsense! I am Saddam Hussein, the President of Iraq!

*whoops, up too early*
    *goes back to bed*

8. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I agree with him in part. There is, and will be a lot of theatre involved, and I doubt I'd be either the first or last to say that the real criminal really is Bush! I'd love to see that warmongering ape dragged before a war crimes tribunal in the Hague, or better yet, Iraq! But that doesn't take any blame away from Saddam Hussein himself. It's inevitable that he will be found guilty on multiple charges, and so he should. I don't believe he should be put to death, I don't think anyone should be, but he should be punished for what he has done....

9. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Now that sounds lots like the früher...

I believe the real criminal is Bush, but Saddam is the real criminal, too, so I believe it's the guilty of them both, their power and influence should be permanently banned (except if they completely change; an article in the news said that George W. Bush said that we have to forgive everybody, because everybody can change, except for Sadam. He said Sadam will never change and therefore we shouldn't forgive him. - therefore, let us not forgive Bush, as well).

Love,
    Borut

10. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

No! I'm Spartac.... ummm.... Saddam Hussein.

11. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

how is bush the real criminal ?

I suppose hes white and western so he must be worse than saddam but I really cant see the logic
    saddam killed lots more people

http://massgraves.info/

I have film from saddams prison the one the americans are getting all the flak about and its really nasty so I dont think I will post it

but if you wish to see some of the mild stuff saddam and the bath party got up to ,sliceing tongues with razors, breaking limbs amputations I can send you the link
    and he did this on a much larger scale and over a much longer period than the americans have been accused of in Iraq

fun story of the 2000 lawyers including 700 non arabs 400 from europe and america who have come to defend saddam in his trial
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040705/wl_nm/iraq_saddam_defense_dc

12. DoktorAtomik

And he's off again. In case you failed to read the previous posts properly, let me point out that people were saying that Bush was also a criminal. I don't remember anyone defending Saddam.

13. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

I think that there has been an estimated 1 - 2 million (maybe more) deaths as a result of US trade sanctions. It doesn't stop Saddam Hussein from being a criminal but it does paint the US administration with the same brush.

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0503-03.htm

14. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

qoute "I believe the real criminal is Bush" borut post before yours first page

read the thread doktor atomik

the reason we had trade sanctions is to try and stop saddam getting more weapons and his neighbours didnt want us to take him out at the end of the first gulf war

I still would like to know how george bush is anyway near in the same league as saddam

15. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Obviously 2 million deaths were well justified then :rolleyes:

16. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

well as I understand it george bush didnt start these sanctions. and if as you say 2 million people died because of these sanctions

and he had a war which killed 10,000 or so and this war ends these terrible sanctions and gets rid of the nasty dictator who was killing lots of people hasnt he saved lives.

what would you prefer no sanctions saddam still in power and re-arming.
    the sanctions still in place and millions by your estimate dying.

17. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

You mean this?:

No-one is defending Saddam Hussein! People are however saying that George Bush is also a war criminal.

18. DoktorAtomik

Careful, Showmet. You're straying dangerously close to factual and impartial reporting there! ;)

19. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

Well, the really sad thing is that even if we manage to get rid off the evil people in power they'll just be replaced by more. Isn't the nature of power a wonderful thing...

20. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

I dont see how bush is a war criminal ...any extermination camps set up by bush

you had some prisoner abuse ..now you have trials of the americans involved

doesnt sound much like hitler to me

what would you do get rid of sanctions so saddam could build up his army again

keep those sanctions forever until saddam died of old age

if you go onto the site of picture of the mass graves of saddam era we all sat by and did nothing while that was happening

bush had a war 10,000 dead how long would it take either the sanctions or saddams secret police to kill 10,000 people