£195 to get to London!

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by fountains of nay, Jan 26, 2007.

1. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

No wonder people are flying there if the cheapest train ticket to london on a student railcard costs £195! This is absolutely extortionate. Where's the incentive to use public transport when they rip us off.

It's the same with evils such as Stagecoach. How do they get away with charging such ridiculous fares? Yet the government want us to use public transport... fuck that mate, tis cheaper to drive my car.

2. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

MegaBus is cheap as hell...£1 return to London.

3. mellow_hendrix

mellow_hendrix Member

yeh megabus is wat i use £6.00 return from exeter

4. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Are you trying to travel at peak time (before 9am and between 5.30 and 7.30pm)? If so then it's ridiculously expensive. Get a saver ticket, which prohibits you from travelling peak, but is much cheaper. A saver return from London to Exeter with a young person's railcard, I can usually get from around £55. Still a bit steep, but not nearly as horribly as what you seem to be having to pay....

5. fountains of nay

The ticket wasn't for me, it was for my friend and yes, he needed to travel peak time as he needed to be at his embassy by 10am.
    Bus is too slow... too many detours and you can never guarantee when you'll arrive. Waste of time.

It's all good and well travelling off peak, but it's an inconvenience most of the time. Something needs to be done, how can they get away with this robbery when the tracks aren't even safe? You're paying so much money for a bad quality of service. It's wrong.

6. fountains of nay

You're from Exeter? You look like the sorta person to know my friend Mu :)

7. Peace-Phoenix

It might have even been cheaper to get a hotel room for the night and travel off peak! But I agree, for the service the price is appalling. I think the rail networks should be re-nationalised, integrated and organised around a not for profit basis, where all funds raised and reinvested into improving the services and paying the staff a decent, living wage....

8. fountains of nay

I couldn't agree more with you Peace, something really must be done if people are to have an incentive to use public transport.
    Apparently, the train to Scotland from London costs up to 3 times more than flying there.

9. kier

kier I R Baboon

Air travel still has alot of fuel exemption taxes, which often allow tickets to be cheaper than trains. However our flying lifestyle is having huge environmental effects, and I happen to enjoy train travel.

It doesn't help the train/railway services are privatised, so they are out there to make the biggest profit possible.

Oh, and have a big think about the mega bus, and who runs it. It's run by stagecoach, and their no frills bus service is causing fewer national express coaches to run. It's only a thought, but what happens when stagecoach have control of the market?

10. fountains of nay

aye mate, I fooking hate stagecoach. Crediton - Exeter bus route...most expensive bus route pound-per-mile in the country!

11. trombonebleu

trombonebleu Insider

I pay £48 to go 1 stop down the train line (5 minutes). It's incredibly extortionate to say the least. And most of the time it's a very uncomfortable 5 minutes as well since they pack us in like cattle. I would drive, but it would take me 25 minutes with the traffic! Pick your poison...

12. lithium

lithium frogboy

WHAT?! Where?![​IMG]

13. kier

kier I R Baboon

And probably no alternative, they monopolise

14. trombonebleu

trombonebleu Insider

Sorry, £48 for a monthly return. I left out a rather important bit there....

15. fountains of nay

It was the main reason I got my driving license

16. dready_kolo

dready_kolo Banned

I manage to get a childs travelcard when I go to London so it works out to only £15.50 and that includes tubes for the day.
    Hurrah for looking much younger than I actually am!

17. Peace-Phoenix

Welcome to the forums Dready, always good to see new faces in our little community :)

18. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Trains are expensive full stop.

Even using the underground. It costs 4.00 just for one stop. So to get from Hammersmith to Barons Court and back would cost nearly ten pounds. Incidentally Barons Court is literally five minutes from Hammersmith station:eek:

It is inflation plus the fact that the private sector has gone corrupt in that it is price fixing all fares and not accepting pre pay oyster. It is only because somebody gave them over a million that the Oyster machines will finally be installed in 2009.

As for Ken Livingstone, he is a good guy but feel he is going to far. What about next year? Will it be £8 for a tube single!

19. Anaconda man

Anaconda man I am not a hippy

To be fair, that's probably because you're requesting to depart at a specific time. I have to travel to Devon regularly these days and I don't particularly fancy driving that far so I go by train. If I'm not fussy about what time I leave I can get a return from London - Torbay in Devon for about 63 pounds. But I still consider that quite expensive.

20. fountains of nay

There's no "to be fair" about it. People need to meet schedules all of the time. There is no reason to charge such high prices even if you do want to travel in the middle of the day or whatever.

And yes, that is still expensive. I will be driving to London Heathrow in a couple of weeks and it will cost me about £45 return petrol money with a full car.
    Why would I possibly pay £63 for the train?