Turbulent Times

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Mar 14, 2018.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm glad you asked who I think I am.

I'd like to think I'm something of a gun control advocate. I'd like to see the Dickey Amendment repealed so that we'd be able to see what conclusions the CDC can come to when it comes to gun related violence. I've heard things about the speed of projectiles, different wound sizes, things like that. I'd like to think that sort of thing is pertinent to a discussion on gun control. God forbid there be any limitation on the caliber of weapon you can own. I think I'm making sense when I say things about homicide rates and their relationship to gun ownership. I want to be on the right side of the facts when we talk about political candidacy, the vote, and where people stand with legislation that involves seriously limiting gun control.

But like I said. Dickey Amendment. Maybe that'a a good place for us both to start. Would you be willing to back up a push to repeal the amendment silencing the CDC's findings as they pertain to gun control measures?

I don't think we'll be barking up the wrong tree if we can agree on science.

Link to Article about Dickey Amendment *not wikipedia* --> Why Can't the U.S. Treat Gun Violence as a Public-Health Problem?

EDIT: Excerpt -->

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Just curious what are you doing to push for a march to the FBI's headquarters?

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't really think this "march to the FBI"is about guns at all-----the right wingers (and the ruskies) are all over the FBI about the Mueller investigation on the net. I believe that is the driving force. Outrageous epithets and misspelling abound. There is almost no civility left regarding the expression of opinions, some on the left and nearly ALL on the right.

5. scratcho

This disgraced, lying demagogue made it clear even before he was elected that he NEEDED to go after the FBI, because he, himself knew that he and his family were/are crooked and would most likely be checked out by them. Viola---here we are.

6. storch

storch banned

I make it clear to anyone who sees fit to condemn gun owners that they should be using their energy for the purpose of exposing and punishing FBI incompetence, which, in this case, borders on criminal negligence.

farmerdon and machinist like this.
  7. scratcho

Wonder why it is, that for the entire duration of my life---the FBI did its job quietly, efficiently and was a very respected institution? ( although Hoover was a prick) And now all of a sudden, the fuckheads in the white house have millions of people railing against them. All over yahoo, here and all kinds of media. Surely it has nothing to with this administration. No----couldn't be a plot to ---oh, I just can't say it. They've been crooked forever? Noooooooooooooooo!

The party line is to be adhered to at ALL times.

(let's help Russia--that's the ticket)

8. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

I totally changed my tune after the walkout. I got rid of all my guns. Even my deer rifle and my new .223. I just said fuck it. I cancelled my NRA membership.

I mean we just cant have 1/5th as many people die as die falling off ladders and overprescribed pharmaceuticals have nothing to do with it so I just gladly got rid of all my guns.

9. scratcho

Me too. hard to part with the bazooka and the grenades though. I'm switching over to slap fights.

farmerdon likes this.
  10. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Theres video on youtube of kids getting interviewed and they are like man I didnt want to walk out Im all for second amendment. Dont you keep up with this stuff?

11. scratcho

I"m laughing right now---it's funny how far apart and yet so close we americans can be on things. Second amendment? I'm 100% for it. Protection for students at schools? I'm 100% for it. 10 round clips? All for them.

Sometimes radical problems require radical solutions. How 'bout this--citizens can have AR15s or any other semi-automatics. 40 round clips also. But they cannot be used unless the government turns on its people with violence. Isn't that the the recent reason bandied about?

12. scratcho

In other words--you own ém, you lock ém up and only use them at the range or as I mentioned above. That work?

13. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

14. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I can see everyone's having fun talking about guns, but another part of this discussion is the looming threat of the Republicans losing control of the house & senate in November. This webpage breaks it down United States Congress elections, 2018 - Ballotpedia

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Ah, so you're not actually using your own energy towards it, just encouraging others to use their energy.

Sometimes if you really want to see something happen you cant wait around for other people. Perhaps you should start the movement since you feel so passionately about it .

16. scratcho

Obama. Hillary. FBI. You folks don't know you're being used by the Blumps and ruskys. So be it.

17. storch

storch banned

Meliai

I said that anyone who sees fit to condemn gun owners should be using their energy for the purpose of exposing and punishing FBI incompetence, which, in this case, borders on criminal negligence. And I said that in response to those who think that the school walk-out/march was the best way to get a message across. My point is that barking up the wrong tree is . . . barking up the wrong tree. Wouldn't you like to see the incompetence that led to the death of 17 kids exposed and punished? Or would you prefer to march against a gun?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

What I supplied you was data on school shootings, as you can see if you check the link at the bottom of the post.
    I went the whole way back to July 26, 1764.
    I then did a little math to show the number of deaths per year and number of school shootings per year.

Now if you look at the data you will find that the number of school shootings has increased over the years.
    For example from 2000 to 2010, that's 10 years, there were 63 deaths from school shootings or 6.3 per year.
    From 2010 to 2017, that's 7 1/2 rounded years, there were 146 deaths from school shootings or 22.27 per year.

From 2010 to 2017 there were a record number of school shootings, meaning there has never been more school shootings in a 10 year period let alone 7 year period.
    This isn't political, it isn't opinion, it isn't Left, Right, Democratic or Republican, pro gun or anti gun...just data.

I don't know any other way to do the research to answer the question you're asking, it's pretty cut and dried.

Here's the link again.

19. MeAgain

I went to You Tube and entered this search, "videos of students who didn't want to walkout for gun control".
    Couldn't find any thing like you're saying.
    Maybe I'm searching incorrectly, please post the videos.

20. MeAgain

You're assuming the FBI could have done something.
    Now before I explain don't get all upset and tell me I'm covering for the FBI or something like that, I'm not...maybe they could have done more, but consider the facts.
    They received two tips about someone wanting to do something, not that he was going to do it.
    The FBI is constrained by civil liberties issues (government surveillance), they can't go after your guns because you say you want to do something. (Such as use your gun to shoot government officials if you decide the government is corrupt.)
    They can search government data bases, but they can't do a wire tap or demand your internet searches without a court order and substantial evidence, which they didn't have in this case. One uncorroborated internet report isn't enough and they couldn't verify the internet source.

Another phone tip last Jan. 5 was not passed on to the Miami filed office.
    That was the only foul up. No excuse, but it's doubtful they could have done anything anyway as he hadn't broken any laws. The tip just said he was capable of murdering teachers and students.
    As I've said before, when I taught high school there were students enrolled in school with diagnosed homicidal tendencies, and teachers were threatened by students fairly often. I knew teachers who were assaulted by students, myself included. The FBI was never called.

If Cruz had pledged allegiance to a recognized terrorist organization and the FBI could verify who he was they may have been able to obtain a court order to allow them in investigate further.
    But even then the FBI is limited by law as to how long they can keep you under surveillance.

Second, how do you know the person who didn't pass the info on wasn't punished?