The Kick Box - On Hip!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kick Frenzy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Also, speaking of beer reviews... guess what I'm doing tonight?
    Staying sober and watching Golden Girls!

Nah, fuckerz... I'm drankin!

Beer #1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 8%)
    (Vault - Breakfast Stout)

Smell: Coffee rises on a bready cloud. Slight woody notes join with a sweet twang.

Taste: Coffee up front. Soft, bready body with woody, oat notes. Subtle sweetness on a subdued backend twang, joined by a hint of bitterness and chest warmth.

Overall, fairly tasty. Not my favorite stout, but nothing wrong with it either. There's a "twang" that curls under the tongue, which I'm not a fan of. Otherwise, a decent brew.

Aaaand, here's something matchy matchy for y'alls:
    [​IMG]

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

That is a sexy fucken picture...

3. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Innit though?

(But while she seems to love her coffee (espresso?), she also seems to be a bit messy about it, lol)

4. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Ok, I'm almost done with my second imbibement, so I should get to posting this damn review, hey kids?!?

Here we go, Beer #2:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 6.7%)
    (Off Color - Known Gnome)

Smells: Trees and earthiness and some wet leaves. Some biscuit in the body. Deep in the background, licorice cavorts with subtle spices.

Tastes: A unique porter to be sure. Very earthy and slightly smoky... in a wet forest. Licorice hides among the deeper recesses, almost invisible. A bit of cracker in the body.

Overall, I'm really digging the uniqueness of this brew. It's the kind of thing you want to share with someone, just so they know what the fuck you're talking about when you try to describe it. I find myself wanting to just gobble this up... almost like a horehound/sassafras soda with a vague bitter twist.

Sadly, I didn't find a pic I was happy with.
    Please feel free to reply with one!!

5. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

And my final brew of the night is an odd one.
    (Maybe moreso because I went from a stout to a porter and now on a DIPA.)

Beer #3:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 9.5%)
    (Decadent - Double Toasted Marshmallow)

Smellin: Sugared grapefruit, then faint pine. Slight sweet vanilla notes whiff about with a suggestion of cracker notes. A distant hint of crisp, bitter hops.

Tastin: Sweet vanilla and.. pine? Subtle citrus hops swirl with faint marshmallow notes. Almost non-existent cracker backbone rounds it out.

Overall, fairly tasty, though not as reminiscent of marshmallows as I'd hoped for. It doesn't taste bad and it's not something I'd turn down. Almost in-congruent flavors though.

(You would think it'd be easy to find some hawt marshmallows roasting pic, but no... not as easy as I thought.)

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Went to the bar looked at the taps and saw one I didn't recognize. So i asked what kind of hardywood is that? He said " its.....um....ahhh....you don't want it"
    (I' thinking, you don't know what kind of beers I like)
    He then says "hold on" then goes over and tries to pour a pint, it spit on him and sputtered several times.
    He comes back and says "no more gingerbread stout but I can switch it over to a coffee stout if you want"
    Sure I said.
    Poured a shot glass and gave it to me.
    I waited for the foam to go down and a guy next to me says "well drink it we all want to know what it tastes like." I look around and 4 or 5 people are looking at me, it was good i said. Barkeep tries to pour the coffee but its foamy so he only gets 3/4 of a glass. He says I'll get you another. Guy next to me says that' not a bad deal 2 for 1. Then everyone goes back to looking at nothing.
    He pours me another coffee stout at about 3/4 full

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Visitor

Im sad by this beers choice of name. i dont know why I want a marshmallow beer anyways, but I do.

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

PR. If there are any cartons that you want to try we could probly work out a trade.
    Your comment in untappd made me decide to stop by there again on my way to my sister's house.
    The only bad part about them is that they don't can their one shots. But they are expanding soon so maybe they will start.
    While I was there two guys who obviously only knew each other from a beer group traded beers. The one guy says "since I don' have to mail it...heres one from tree house"
    So badly wanted to introduce myself but what did I have to offer....dogfish head?

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Since I finally joined untappd I havnt come here at all to talk about the beers I'm drinking so I will just talk about what I think about while sipping on my imperial doughnut break ale.

The common insult against star wars fans is they live in their mom's basement.
    Jokes on them though.. my mom dosnt have a basement. So I sleep on her couch.
    Oh yeah and I own my own house outright...its Just to far from work to spend much time there.

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  10. deleted

deleted Visitor

Nitro milk stout ..its yuck.

11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

That the one in the shiny tall can?

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

nah, black bottle . 6%, but its really flat tasting. just sits on my stomach. .

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Pretty sure it's left hand brewery makes the one I like. Never saw it in a bottle though.
    I didn't realize how many people hate nitro beers until founders asked about it on FB. Then again the most negative people flock to FB to comment.

15. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Their blackjack porter is the first beer I would have drank even if it was non alcoholic.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah the Left Hand one is pretty good

17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

At my local tavern, Mug Club members get their own custom made glass blown mugs. I thought this was a good colorway:

[​IMG]

18. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

I've had Left Hand's Milk Stout (and love it), but not the Nitro version.
    If you're on Untappd and sign in with it during March, there's a special badge you earn.
    I was going to get one tonight, but they didn't have any in the singles area.

Now that I know it's sucky, I probably won't bother worrying about that badge.

Thanks, Orison!

19. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

That's freakin awesome!!!
    Now, that's something that could get me out to a bar!

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  20. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Ok, I should probably drop my first beer review of the night before I finish the damn thing, eh?
    Yeah.

So... beer #1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 7%)
    (Omnipollo - Shoutao)

Smell: Citrus (orange, grapefruit) hops with a sweet backbone. Faint peach lazily drifts along. A little cracker in the body.

Taste: Pithy citrus and a hint of pine stand out. A slightly sweet backbone tells peachy whispers. A touch of cracker in the body.

Overall, this is alright. A bit more bitter and piney than I expected, but that may be due to it not being chilled enough. It's alright, but not amazing.