house blessing rituals. - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Click to Hookup!   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Click to see Sexy Dolls
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Old 01-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
cerridwen
in stitches

cerridwen has a spectacular aura aboutcerridwen has a spectacular aura about
house blessing rituals.
Like this post? Yes | No    

Moving Into A New Home I have received many emails recently from many people, pagan and non-pagan, asking for help in clearing, cleansing, blessing and protecting a new home. There are several postings on the site that provide information and outlines for all these. But I thought it would be a good idea, to pull everything together in 1 post. This is a ritual from my personal Grimoire and it can be conducted by anyone.
For centuries, people have held religious ceremonies to ask the Divine to bring happiness, abundance and protection to their home. Some may remember the scene from 'It's A Wonderful Life' where a family is moving into their first home, and Mary Bailey provides the family with various items to bring abundance, protection and happiness to their home before they enter. The idea behind a House Blessing is simple. You are moving any energy out of the area that has been left by the previous occupants, even if those were builders, and replacing it with divine energy that you ask for. You are setting the foundation of energy, and harmony in the space for you and your family to walk into. As well as asking for blessings for the future.
This ritual is of course written from the perspective of Shamanism, but all religions have some form of similar ceremony. You can take these steps and alter it slightly to fit your personal beliefs and practices, and use tools you feel comfortable with. Many craft stores now carry smudge sticks, large imitation eagle feathers, scented oils and everything you'll need for this ritual. If you can't find items listed here, there are many online stores who offer these products. You might also try finding a pagan shop in your area through a search at AvatarSearch.com or Witchvox.net. But these items are not set in stone, you can improvise to items that you feel more comfortable with that support your own personal belief system. House Blessing Before you begin, gather the items you'll need. You will prepare 2 small altars, on outside the house and one in the house to hold the objects you'll need. Gather together:
  • Outside the House - (if possible - if your home is an apartment or something you can't leave an altar outside, set the altar just inside the door. )
    • A white candle.
    • A lighter or book of matches.
    • Sage and cedar smudge if you can find it. If not sandlewood incense will suffice. Non-Pagans might prefer Frankincense and Mir, which are a common combination in their rituals for cleansing spaces. But um..if you've never smelled frankincense and mir; you might stick with the sage and cedar.
    • A large feather.
  • For Inside the House - place a small altar just inside the door to hold:
    • A holder for the sage and cedar smudge stick, or the incense you chose to use.
    • For the Protection
      • You'll need to have prepared a potion for this. See the Rose Shield potion for instructions.
      • IF you do not have time, or don't feel you can make the potion yourself. Purchase a small bottle of Rose oil (about 2 ounces), and a larger glass container to hold a little mixture you're going to have to make. You can get these from your local craft store. When you get home, pour half the contents of the rose oil into the bottle. Tear up 4 or 5 rose pedals and add them to the bottle. Boil some tap water, and fill up the bottle. Now you have a quick protection potion.
      • Some people like to go all out and also purchase a garland made of roses to hang around the door way of their home. It's a beautiful idea, but can be costly. I've also conducted House blessing rituals where the owners purchased a dozen roses and placed one rose before each door that leads outside, and upon each window sill.
      • Yellow or Gold taper candle.
    • For the Blessing
      • Lavender Incense
      • Lavender taper candle.
The New Home Ritual Clearing: Creating your space, begins with you. Before you can begin any spiritual work, be it a simple mediation or full blown ceremony complete with pomp and circumstance, YOU must be prepared. Being Grounded and Balanced before any spiritual work is essential to both your intent and the effectiveness of you work. So take a few moments to read the process for Grounding & Balancing For Ritual Work. Lighting the altar candle outside: Starting outside. The altar is placed just before the front door facing the door. Give yourself some room to walk around the altar to enter the door way. About 4 feet before should be fine. If you can't set the altar outside, you might use a small TV tray that can be easily moved and place it 'in' the door way with the door open. While you stand outside to begin the process, you can move the altar inside and close the door when it comes time to enter the home. Some people like to perform this ritual with a partner or friend who can help keep your home safe while you're walking through this process. For instance, you don't want the outside altar candle blowing over and starting a fire, while you're walking through the house. So your partner can standby and make sure it's safe, or once you enter the home to clear the energy, they can carry the outside altar to just inside the door way and insure it's securely placed in a safe manner.
  1. Begin with lighting your altar candle. This is the white candle you selected in your preparations.
    • Close your eyes and imagine a flame being lit within your own body.
    • Imagine your spiritual essence, lighting a flame in your solar plexus. This is your divine light, the spirit within you that will provide the energy to the wick of your candle and the work ahead.
    • With each breath you take, imagine the flame inside your being growing stronger and brighter. Until it fills your entire body with it's warmth and bright light.
    • Open your eyes, take the matches/lighter in hand and light the wick of your candle.
    • Say something like:
      • Great Spirits,
        I (or we), state your name(s), bring to light this flame of fire,
        to clear, cleanse and protect my home from the muck and mire.
        {pick up the smudge stick and present it to the divine forces}
  2. Place the smudge over the candle's flame and set it afire. While the smudge is still on fire, call upon your God/Goddess of choice. (If you're not pagan, you can easily call upon your own God).
    • Say something like:
      • Great Spirits, (God/Goddess name)
        Through divine love and light,
        I call upon your great might,
        To open this space for your noble charge.
  3. Holding the smudge in your left hand, and the feather in your right step toward your door, blow out the flames of the smudge and fan the smoke clockwise around the entrance of your home. Say something like this:
      I open this humble door,
      and remove the past left here before.
  4. Enter the home and allow the smoke from the sage to permeate each room. Begin facing North and walk clockwise, fanning the smoke as you go. As you pass a window - open it and allow the energy within the home to move out into the world where it can be dissipated and no longer do harm or affect others again.
Setting the protection:
  1. On your altar inside, place the smudge in the a small bowl you selected when you were getting ready for this ritual. Extinguish the smudge by dipping into a little water. The continual energy will be coming from your candles. If you chose to use sandlewood incense, you can allow it to continue to burn, just place it in an incense holder.
  2. Start with lighting your protection candle. This is the gold candle you selected in your preparations.
    • As before, close your eyes and imagine a flame being lit within your own body.
    • Imagine your spiritual essence, lighting a flame in your solar plexus. This is your divine light, the spirit within you that will provide the energy to the wick of your candle.
    • With each breath you take, imagine the a gold flame inside your being growing stronger and brighter. Until it fills your entire body.
    • Open your eyes, take the matches/lighter in hand and light the wick of your candle.
    • As you do, imagine the light within you gaining in strength and growing yet again, this time your body cannot contain the energy field and it pushes outside to encompass your physical being.
    • Say something like:
        I bring to light this guardian flame,
        sending all fear back from whence it came.
  3. With the protection candle lit and ready, you're ready for the Rose Shield Oil you prepared.
    • Use your right hand to draw you personal sigil or a pentacle over the flame (If you're non-pagan you can draw your religions primary symbol over the flame. Not too close, you don't want to get burned.) You can use the center of your palm as the drawing force, the tips of your fingers or just one finger, it's up to you. I use my middle and ring fingers pressed together, with my hand open. If you were to look at my hand from above, it would resemble the hand language sign for 'I Love You'.
    • Say something like:
        I set forth this light of protection
        for securing my home and hearth.
    • Hold the vessel of oil in both hands and present it to the flame - Say something like:
        I set forth this protective shield
        to guard this home and those who enter
        from outside influences this home is sealed.
  4. Be careful with your protection potion to ensure you have enough to go around.
    • Start with the front door and pour a small line of the liquid across it's frame on the floor. If you decided to purchase the garland or a few roses, now is the time to hang the garland over the door, or place the roses by the door.
    • Moving clockwise through each room, do the same thing across the bottom of each window sill.
    • As you pass the windows, close them. This is a symbolic gesture locking in your projection.
Setting the blessing:
  1. Now you're ready to set your blessing. Back at your altar is your Lavender incense and taper candle. Start with lighting your blessings candle.
    • As before, close your eyes and imagine a flame being lit within your own body.
    • Imagine your spiritual essence, lighting a flame in your solar plexus. This is your divine light, the spirit within you that will provide the energy to the wick of your candle.
    • With each breath you take, imagine the a Lavender and pink flame inside your being growing stronger and brighter. Until it fills your entire body.
    • As you do, imagine the light within you gaining in strength and growing yet again, this time your body cannot contain the energy field and it pushes outside to encompass your physical being.
    • Say something like:
        I bring to light this blessing flame,
        {Take your Lavender incense and set it ablaze from the flame of the blessing candle as you speak the final lines of the verse}
        to bring forth happiness and joy,
        to provide security and abundance,
        to share in love, friendship and laughter.
  2. Once again moving clockwise through each room, walk the incense through the house.
Combining your work:
  1. Once you have completed each section, you can combine all your work into one area. The best thing to do is move the altar and place it on a fireplace hearth. If your new home doesn't have a fireplace, you can set the altar under a window in the main living area. The protection candle should be set on the right. The blessing candle on the left. Retrieve your ritual candle from the outside altar and place it in the center. The incense should be placed next to their candle. Everything should be set on the altar in a clockwise manner to maintain the positive energy flow.
Thanking The GreatSpirits (God/Goddess):
  1. Many people find it appropriate to honor the spirits and deities that they've asked to assist them. I happen to be one of these people. However, for rituals such as this, giving honor through an offering of life, instead of food can also be appropriate. By that I mean, planting a seed or plant in honor of the deities. One that supports or represents the energy of the deity. In this case, a rose bush would be an appropriate offering.
    • Raise the unplanted bush and present it to the divine forces. Say something like this:
      • I give this offering of rose and thorn as my symbol of gratitude and honor.
        To the Great Spirits, whose light and love shall shine through it's pedals of beauty, to remind us all of your unselfish gifts.
        Blessings Be To The.
Meditation and Closing:
  1. No matter what your ceremony is for, you should add a moment of meditation to the event. In this altered state, you can add to a spell by visualizing the energy being created, seeing it in your mind as it manifests and comes to form. You can contact the Great Spirits and engage them in a private ritual. You can use this time to thank the forces that have helped you.
  2. Here's where you should write a brief summary of the ritual and your experience in your personal Book of Shadows. Record any insights you might have gained through the meditation, or any physical feelings, or emotions you might have experienced.
  3. Conclude your ritual by closing your chakra centers. You can following the same final step in the Grounding ceremony to accomplish this.
When you have completed this step, face your altar and give thanks once more for this sacred space. Then back away and allow your candles to burn out. Don't leave candles burning unattended. If you can't stay with the altar, it's ok blow out the flames (let them smoke) and re-light them when you return.