Spark Plug Socket Rubber Stuck Around Installed Plug - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Buy Posters Here!   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Click to Advertise on the Hip Forums!
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
 Aerianne
Beloved Moderator

Aerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond repute
Spark Plug Socket Rubber Stuck Around Installed Plug
Like this post? Yes | No    

We are replacing the spark plugs on my car. The first one went well.

Now, on #2 the freaking rubber out of the plug socket is stuck around the plug I put in. The coil pack cap wont go all the way down. How in the hell are we going to get that rubber out?

We can't even back the plug out now.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
orison319
my dog is full of stars

orison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

Rip the rubber off ,, it dont do anything.. you just want the metal under it..

'
Then they bring them to the factory
Where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders
And then the kerosene
orison319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
 Aerianne
Beloved Moderator

Aerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond reputeAerianne has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

Orison, the rubber pulled out of the socket when I was pulling the socket off the plug. The rubber from the socket is stuck down around the top of the plug and won't let the ignition coil cap go back down all the way.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Voyage 
Noam Sayin

Voyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud of
Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerianne View Post
Orison, the rubber pulled out of the socket when I was pulling the socket off the plug. The rubber from the socket is stuck down around the top of the plug and won't let the ignition coil cap go back down all the way.
1. Squirt WD40 or light lube in the socket and push it back on the plug and take
it all back out again.
2. Throw away that little piece of rubber.
3. Precede as before.
“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and — in spite of True Romance magazines — we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely — at least, not all the time — but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
orison319
my dog is full of stars

orison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

if you rip the rubber all off and expose the wire.. you can use pliers to bend it back to shape and hold the plug head.

or I just dont understand.. Ive mine rot and melt off before. i like mine exposed anyways cause I remove all the safety features on mowers and ground them out to kill..

'
Then they bring them to the factory
Where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders
And then the kerosene
orison319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
 Aerianne
Beloved Moderator

Like this post? Yes | No    

Okay, Hubby is eating dinner and the daughter and grandson are having a screaming match. I can't think. I'ma chill a minute and read this to Hubby when he is done eating.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
 Aerianne
Beloved Moderator

Like this post? Yes | No    

I'm probably not being real clear either.

The rubber gasket from inside the plug socket is stuck around the porcelain part of the installed plug.

Damn, I wish I could sit at my computer and smoke. Can't think without smoking.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Voyage 
Noam Sayin

Voyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud ofVoyage has much to be proud of
Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerianne View Post
I'm probably not being real clear either.

The rubber gasket from inside the plug socket is stuck around the porcelain part of the installed plug.

Damn, I wish I could sit at my computer and smoke. Can't think without smoking.

thats what i understood.

take a break, have a smoke.

the rubber "bushing" from inside the socket stuck on the ceramic head of the plug, gotcha.

lube up the inside of the plug socket in your hand with some light oil, silcone spray, graphite, whatever will make it slippery, connect to whatever extensions you needed to get down there, wiggle the socket while pushing down, force it gently over that rubber p.o.s. till you can engage the hex corners at the base of the plug.

unscrew.

throw that rubber p.o.s. away and just be careful installing plugs without it

(future tip, get one of those cushioned snap-on plug sockets, you'll never buy another)
(been where you are, hug)
“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and — in spite of True Romance magazines — we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely — at least, not all the time — but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
Meagain
Average Moderator

Meagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud ofMeagain has much to be proud of
Like this post? Yes | No    

Did the boot come apart or is it a small rubber insert to prevent vibration that could fracture the ceramic in the plug?

Twist off another boot to see how it compares to the one you are trying to get. Twist it back and forth to break it free before pulling on it.

Whatever, pull it off with needle nose pliers if you can get them on it, some plugs are way down in a well.

Edit:
What Voyage said.
Meagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
Voyage 
Noam Sayin

Like this post? Yes | No    

ya, she's talking about the ceramic protection in the socket, not the seal(s) between the spark plug and the lead or the boot over the plug connection.

hopefully she/hubby have it off already
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson