Combining Coffee (caffeine) with your amphetamines (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc.) - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Click for organic and wildcrafted herbs, teas and essential oils.   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Join the Facebook of Sex
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Forum Description: Discuss prescription drugs and their effects

Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
etkearne
Resident Pharmacologist

etkearne has a spectacular aura aboutetkearne has a spectacular aura aboutetkearne has a spectacular aura about
Combining Coffee (caffeine) with your amphetamines (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc.)
Like this post? Yes | No    

Hi, HipForum-ers. I hope you are having a good day as you read this thread.

I just wanted to bring up a topic that is rarely discussed here. That is, if you use amphetamines or amphetamine-like stimulants (dopamine releasing agents/reuptake inhibitors) like Adderall, Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, and even Provigil, for utilitarian purposes (that is, to get things done), even if they aren't prescribed for you, DO you like to ever mix it with coffee?

I have been prescribed stimulants for about 4 years now, from Ritalin to Adderall to (now) Vyvanse (my favorite by far), and I notice the following: If I am seeking a state of euphoria or content feelings, I don't like to mix my Vyvanse with caffeine. It causes me to get slightly jittery and my heart starts to beat a little harder. Thus, it detracts from any euphoria.

However, in the last couple of weeks, I noticed that taking my Vyvanse alone doesn't provide enough 'umph' to get through a (sometimes) 11 hour work/school day (I am a graduate student and teaching assistant at a university). By the time 3:00 pm rolls around, I have usually been up since 5:30 am and I am out of steam, essentially. I noticed, though, that I can keep going if I drink even the smallest amount of coffee. I just get a half a cup of black coffee and my amphetamine feelings are rekindled along with a physical stimulation.

Like I said, if I were seeking 'recreation' from the drug, these physical effects would be a bad thing, but when it comes to needing to drudge through a hard work day, I actually welcome the physical push.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this they would like to share? I think that it is a commonly overlooked question when it comes to stimulants and people who take them for non-recreational purposes. Feel free to also include your opinion on smoking cigarettes with stimulants. I have never smoked so I don't know what it would do, but feel free to discuss it here.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
RooRshack
On Sabbatical

Location: where people who don't approve of hiding war crimes go
RooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant futureRooRshack has a brilliant future
Like this post? Yes | No    

No opinions, never done it, but....

Does an additional amphetamine dose not do it for you? Or are you avoiding it for health/neurotoxicity reasons, or?....

RIP cosmoknot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaystar View Post
Let them eat acid!
RooRshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
guerillabedlam
spwrap

guerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

The only amphetamine I regularly mix caffiene with is mdma and I thorougly enjoy the synergy that's created there. I believe I used to drink coke when I did adderall occasionally but that was more to quench my thirst than add to the high.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
etkearne
Resident Pharmacologist

etkearne has a spectacular aura aboutetkearne has a spectacular aura aboutetkearne has a spectacular aura about
Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRshack View Post
No opinions, never done it, but....

Does an additional amphetamine dose not do it for you? Or are you avoiding it for health/neurotoxicity reasons, or?....
I mainly want to avoid taking too high of a dose. I take multiple medications, so I have tried (at least in the last year or so) to take as little of each as possible while maintaining their benefits.

My doctor does have me scripted so that Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I take 60mg of Vyvanse compared to the 50mg I take the other days. So it helps a little. But, if I can solve the problem without having to go to 70mg MWF, I would prefer that.

Plus, since the problem is largely that of 'awake-ness' rather than inattention in the post-3:00pm time frame, amphetamines aren't really supposed to be used according to literature. I don't know if I agree with that or not, but it is in the back of my mind, at least.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
evilreign

evilreign is on a distinguished road
1 out of 1 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

What I do after my amphetamine runs out for school is take large hits from my crack pipe at 3 minute intervals to keep me going.
evilreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
etkearne
Resident Pharmacologist

Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilreign View Post
What I do after my amphetamine runs out for school is take large hits from my crack pipe at 3 minute intervals to keep me going.
I didn't think of that option. Sounds like a pretty solid strategy. I'll try it today!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
etkearne
Resident Pharmacologist

Like this post? Yes | No    

So another day of 11 hours of thinking ahead of me right now (it is 7:00 am). The question remains: Do I drink coffee with my 60mg Vyvanse or not? I can't decide, but I am pretty tired right now and a splash of black coffee sounds pretty good...
Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
gendorf

gendorf will become famous soon enoughgendorf will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

drink some green tea

The emperor....Wants to conquer outter space.
Yoda....Wants to explore inner space.
gendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
guerillabedlam
spwrap

guerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond reputeguerillabedlam has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

have you tried to up your vyvanse dose? You may be experiencing a cumulative tolerance.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
etkearne
Resident Pharmacologist

Like this post? Yes | No    

^ Yes. I realize that the Vyvanse dose is too low. But I only need the higher dose Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My doctor told me he will go up to 70mg for those three days next time, but I don't see him for five weeks. So in the meantime, it is coffee.