communes in australia - Hip Forums
Hip Forums
click to see Australia Hotels!
Click to return to the Hip Guide to Australia
Welcome to the Australia Forum

Visit the Hip Guide to Australia for travel information, Australia Photo Gallery and Hotel Reservations.

Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Buy Music Posters at AllPosters
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals

Forum Description: Discuss the land down under, Aussie culture, upcoming events and travel tips.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
mrgs

mrgs is an unknown quantity at this point
communes in australia
Like this post? Yes | No    

hi, i am pretty interested in living in a commune in the future, and have just been wondering how one actually goes about finding a commune in australia? or even one overseas?

thanks alot for any help!
mrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
thesmelloftrees

thesmelloftrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Like this post? Yes | No    

im from south australia and can defiantly tell you there are non here. unless you count indigenous people living in parks and constantly being told to get a job.

i heard in NSW there are a few big ones and heaps of small ones. but you just gotta save up cash and go on a roadtrip and see for yourself. probably why no one knows about them because they never come back to tell people they found one.
thesmelloftrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
thebeardeddrummer

thebeardeddrummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Like this post? Yes | No    

Maybe try hitting up a few festivals and asking around there. You always get guys who know a guy who knows a guy... Apart from that not really sure what to recommend, coz I doubt many of these communes are gonna have a website up telling you all about them. Happy hunting
thebeardeddrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
PeaceInTime

PeaceInTime is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I'm also rather interested in this, if you find anything let me know!
PeaceInTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Perilless

Perilless is a jewel in the roughPerilless is a jewel in the roughPerilless is a jewel in the roughPerilless is a jewel in the rough
Like this post? Yes | No    

There're are few big and small communes around Nimbin in northern NSW that I visited. Really beautiful part of the world, too!

"Nature is not our enemy, to be raped and conquered. Nature is ourselves, to be cherished and explored."

Perilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #6
Bilby
Freerangertarian

Bilby will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

If you read Grass Roots magazine or Earth Garden magazine there are sometimes adverts for communes of a type where you have a small portion of land to yourself and the rest is shared. They don't usually allow for cats and dogs.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
thesmelloftrees

thesmelloftrees is an unknown quantity at this point
Like this post? Yes | No    

honestly the whole communal living thing to be sounds too good to be true, i find it hard to understand why people want to join a commune. there is no point running off into the forest because it helps no one. the problems are in society, and you need to be in society to fix them. but if you dont give a shit your welcome to go to nimbin, smoke weed and pretend your saving the world.
thesmelloftrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Perilless

Perilless is a jewel in the roughPerilless is a jewel in the roughPerilless is a jewel in the roughPerilless is a jewel in the rough
1 out of 1 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmelloftrees View Post
honestly the whole communal living thing to be sounds too good to be true, i find it hard to understand why people want to join a commune. there is no point running off into the forest because it helps no one. the problems are in society, and you need to be in society to fix them. but if you dont give a shit your welcome to go to nimbin, smoke weed and pretend your saving the world.

You think that by being in society you are helping to ''fix'' it? I envy you your optimism and idealism, then. It seems to me that by living and working in society, you're just helping to prop it up and contribute to the materialistic, shallow and consumerist way of life most people have.

By moving to a commune in the country, at least you might be living in a more ecological and sustainable way, and so distancing yourself slightly from those warped values that dominate our society. But only slightly...

"Nature is not our enemy, to be raped and conquered. Nature is ourselves, to be cherished and explored."

Perilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
jessyBessy

jessyBessy is an unknown quantity at this point

That all sounds great.

How is the life in communes organised?
Eg everybody has tasks? Are they living in tents/houses?

When I want to join one and want to find the right place for me where to I start and know to find communities? (Ok I know there is Byron Bay and Nimbin but where are the real communities)
jessyBessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
PeaceInTime

PeaceInTime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perilless View Post
By moving to a commune in the country, at least you might be living in a more ecological and sustainable way, and so distancing yourself slightly from those warped values that dominate our society. But only slightly...
I agree here with Perilless.. by living in a commune you are living off the land, a minimalist society.. where as in modern day society, everything is about consumerism.. so by moving to a commune your impact on the world is less, although it may not be a wholly noticeable change to anything major, it is still a change.. and thats what counts.
PeaceInTime is offline   Reply With Quote