Question about Medical Marijuana and Social Security Disability - Hip Forums
Hip Forums
Your Cannabis Connection
Search For Cannabis Strains
Strain Name:
Breeder:

Visit the MJ Guide for all your Cannabis needs!

Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    

Jorge Cervantes
Marijuana Horticulture
BUY IT!

User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Buy Music Posters at AllPosters
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals

Jorge Cervantes
Marijuana Horticulture
BUY IT!

Forum Description: Discuss medicinal marijuana, what it's good for, how to ingest it, scientific studies and legal issues.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
slappyman

slappyman has a spectacular aura aboutslappyman has a spectacular aura aboutslappyman has a spectacular aura about
Question about Medical Marijuana and Social Security Disability
Like this post? Yes | No    

I know that we have a variety of people on this forum and I'm hoping that I can get an answer to a question that popped into my head last night.

What happens if you are collecting disability from the Federal Government and you apply for and receive a medical marijuana card in a state where it is legal?

I've heard that you automatically lose your benefits. I find this hard to swallow as if I remember reading correctly that the VA is going to start letting vets use cannabis for treatment of PTSD.

Can somebody that is in this situation enlighten me.
slappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Skip
Hip Forums Webmaster

Skip has disabled reputation
Like this post? Yes | No    

One thing has nothing to do with the other. States regulate medical marijuana, not the Feds, so they have no way of knowing whether you're a mmj patient or not. The only issue that comes close is the VA one, and now that mmj is legal in D.C. they'll have a hard time stopping vets from using it. It's the perfect medicine for PTSD.

“In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us”.
Thich Nhat Hanh

"
You are talking to a leftist. I believe in the redistribution of wealth and power in the world. I believe in universal hospital care for everyone. I believe that we should not have a single homeless person in the richest country in the world. And I believe that we should not have a C.I.A. that goes around overwhelming governments and assassinating political leaders, working for tight oligarchies around the world to protect the tight oligarchy here at home." Abbie Hoffman
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
slappyman

slappyman has a spectacular aura aboutslappyman has a spectacular aura aboutslappyman has a spectacular aura about
Like this post? Yes | No    

I'm happy for the citizens of D.C. they've been waiting a long time. I do have a hard time trying to figure out how Congress can decide that it's OK for the citizens of the district but not for the rest of us. There is a bill H.R.2835 that's been stuck in commitee since 2009 that would make Medical Marijuana legal at the Federal level depending on state law of course.

Edit: H.R. 2835 has ceased to be.

Last edited by slappyman; 02-12-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Add information
slappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
necradawn

necradawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Like this post? Yes | No    

Recently i have been considering getting my medicinal marijuana papers signed. I live in Canada and I am not clear on what I can and can not do with the medicinal marijuana (such as how much i can grow and carry on me at once)
necradawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
 Burnt
Hip Forums Supporter

Burnt has a spectacular aura aboutBurnt has a spectacular aura about
Like this post? Yes | No    

I'm on Social Security Disability and have my medical marijuana card and there is no loss of benefits for me.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
orison319
my dog is full of stars

orison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

my friend is in the Va hospital. I took him some weed yesterday..
sadly he smokes more tobacco though... not to change the subject..

'
Then they bring them to the factory
Where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders
And then the kerosene
orison319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #7
Prague

Prague is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone have definite knowledge about medical marijuana and social security?
Like this post? Yes | No    

I just moved to Washington State and want to get my medical marijuana card. It is the only thing that really helps symptoms.

I am on social security disability and am worried that if they find out I will lose my benefits.

I've heard opinions back and forth but has anyone actually dealt with social security about this? Talked to a lawyer or someone at Social Security?

I'm really nervous.

Thanks
Prague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Tyrsonswood
Senior Moment

Tyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond reputeTyrsonswood has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

The Feds can't seem to get their heads out of their ass on this issue...... Maybe talk to a lawyer but don't even mention it to someone at Social Security.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

Tyrsonswood is online now   Reply With Quote