An open letter to young hippies - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Click to Upgrade Your HipForums Account   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Join the Facebook of Sex
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Forum Description: A place for hippies young & old to meet & relate.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Reverand JC
Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Reverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud ofReverand JC has much to be proud of
An open letter to young hippies
52 out of 53 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

The best piece of advice that I have ever read about being a Hippie is "Be Here Now." I have been on this site a few months and keep seeing these posts asking "What were the sixties like?" or "I wish I was alive in the sixties." The thing is I seriously doubt that the kids who were Hippies ever asked, "What were the 20's like?" or say "I wish I was alive in the 20s."

The thing about the "Hippie Movement" is that it was a progressive movement to build a better society. Saying "I wish I was there," or "Is it coming back?" is a very conservative concept. Wanting things to be like they used to be is very counterproductive.

On another level I find these posts to be Racist and Classist. The fact of the matter is that most of the kids who are posting that they wish they had been alive in the sixties are white and upper middle class. I think that most Black or Hispanic people have a more sober view of the sixties thanks to the Civil Rights movement. It's hard to be nostalgic about a period that was marked by your parent's being murdered or at the very least being on the recieveing end of firehose.

Then you want to talk about the drugs. The fact is that during the sixties posession of Marijuana was a Felony. John Sinclair the manager of the MC5 and one of the founding members of the White Panther party spent 10 years in prison for giving an undercover FBI agent 2 joints ("They Gave you ten for two/What ya gonna do?" John Lennon "John Sinclair"). They were experimenting with LSD which was a relatively new drug and they didn't have any clue how much was too much.

Our society has evolved into the "Cult of Ego." Thanks to Facebook and Twitter people with smartphones are freely allowed to believe that they're actually interesting. Nobody gives 2 shits about the vintage patchwork pant's you found 10 minutes ago.

So if you really want to know what the 60s were like I've got 2 ways for you to find out. The long term plan and the short term plan.

The long term goes like this:
Since you are already showing conservative leanings take it to the extreme. Vote Teaparty. They will outlaw abortion, ban sex education in school, take the war on drugs to new levels start passing new and more fascist immigration laws, and probably start another unpopular war and bring back the draft. Then you will have the same battles to fight that they did in the Sixties.

The short term goes like this:
Buy a "Probable Cause Mobile". You know a VW Van covered with legalize pot, Peace Sign, and Various other Hippie Stickers (By the way VW's also breakdown alot and are a bitch to find parts for). Then take a road trip across the Deep South using only back roads with no GPS, cell phone or laptop. Feel the full force of hate for your "Hippie, Commie, Pinko, Fag," ass.

If you really want to be a Hippie in our modern culture you need to in the words of John Trudell, "Know the difference between the Illusion of freedom and the Reality of freedom." Question everyone including me. Take up some of the causes that are still going on. There are some civil rights issues that need to be worked on. Gay Marriage, Carding Hispanics, Legalization of Marijuana, Ending the War, Raising Minimum Wage, Disabled Rights the list goes on and on. Don't wish you were around in the past be thankful you are in the present and try to continue to be in the present.

Peace Out,
Rev J

"I believe that creative imagination rules the universe.
I believe in the beauty of first love and the eternal power of all love.
I believe in dreams and dreamers, being one myself.
I believe in the power of modern medicine and the wisdom of ancient medicine as well.
I believe in the power of laughter and the beauty of a good joke." Willie Nelson
Reverand JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
PB_Smith
Huh? What? Who, me?

PB_Smith is a splendid one to beholdPB_Smith is a splendid one to beholdPB_Smith is a splendid one to beholdPB_Smith is a splendid one to beholdPB_Smith is a splendid one to beholdPB_Smith is a splendid one to beholdPB_Smith is a splendid one to behold
Like this post? Yes | No    

Damn rep restrictions!!!!!

Again, Rev JC is a voice of brutal and frank honesty and consideration.
I love it!
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
boguskyle
kyleboguesque

boguskyle is just really niceboguskyle is just really niceboguskyle is just really niceboguskyle is just really nice
Like this post? Yes | No    

SO very true. +1 (if i could).
the main thing about this is "Know the difference between the Illusion of freedom and the Reality of freedom." and many people aren't realizing potential in one's beliefs, and so they become apathetic. this is me atm. i've never felt i wanted to live in the 60's though.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
odon
Slightly Popular

odon is a name known to allodon is a name known to allodon is a name known to allodon is a name known to allodon is a name known to allodon is a name known to all
Like this post? Yes | No    

When kids say: "I wish I was back in the 60s" why not ask them why.
odon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
PAX-MAN
Just A Old Hippy

Location: "Zion" a Utopian place of unity, peace and freedom, as opposed to "Babylon,"
PAX-MAN will become famous soon enoughPAX-MAN will become famous soon enough
4 out of 4 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

JC-
Well written! I guess I should add my two cents worth or has inflation hit and it's really two dollars? I think the young kids of today wanna be hippies for the same reason as the kids in the sixties. What they wanted was TO BELONG. They wanted people to listen to them. They wanted their opinions to have some meaning. Most of all they wanted to have friends. And what better place to go than a hippie haven. Everybody was accepted for who they were, not what they were. One thing that you didn't see much of, at least in the beginning, were bullies. People wanted to push their views and opinions upon you. Charles Manson---perfect example.
Unfortunately, most of the people who got involved later were more interested in the free love and the free drugs and all they were looking for was just a place to party. It makes we wonder if alot of the kids today who are looking to be hippies aren't doing the same thing. When the fun is over, they will just go back to obtaining wealth because isn't that what most people really want???It seems to me that most people want to be king of the hill and famous without putting any work into it. I think it's time that they got off their asses and started working at trying to make this world a better place.
There is still an awful lot of intolerance and racism in this world and poor people are still treated like shit. I think I'm going to end my ranting here - I really dislike what this world is becoming : all the hard work that people put in in the sixties really hasn't gone very far. So farewell my friend, wherever you may fare.

PAX

PAX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
samson 
Hepcat

samson has a spectacular aura aboutsamson has a spectacular aura aboutsamson has a spectacular aura about
Like this post? Yes | No    

haha nice

The topic for the chatroom last nite was "be here now"
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
Meliai
shit

Meliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond reputeMeliai has a reputation beyond repute
1 out of 1 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

I agree.

The 60s were a tragic, heartbreaking, turbulent time. The 60s happened because JFK got shot, Martin Luther King got shot, the draft happened, thousands of young boys didnt make it back alive from Vietnam, americans were seeing images of children being burned by napalm on the news, schools began to be integrated in the south, women got sick of taking a backseat to their masculine counterparts. The impact of the 60s can't be denied, but it wasnt all a magical time. Anything good that came out of the 60s was borne out of some kind of tragedy and sense of injustice. Also consider the 60s ended with a compete feeling of disillusionment.

What I like most about the 60s is that when things got really, really fucked up the youth didnt allow the rich white men that fucked shit up to continue running the show. The youth culture actually reclaimed their country. My generation has the opportunity to do that right now, and we just turn on our ipods and tune it all out instead.

I think this time period is equally as significant as the 60s, if not more so, but instead of realizing it, this generation turns a blind eye and instead stares longingly at a 50 year old decade.

If you want a counterculture, you've got to create it.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
TheKitch

TheKitch is on a distinguished road
3 out of 3 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

These are definitely crazy times too but very different from the 60s. My generation is dumb, that's the bottom line. There are still hippies but we're in the minority. People are so lazy now. We have gotten smarter in a lot of ways, but that intelligence has actually made us dumber/lazier. Technology expansion and a general attachment to material things plagues our culture.

Like the OP mentioned, things like facebook, twitter, texting, reality tv, abercrombie have emerged as staples in our society. It's almost as if people don't know what to do with themselves anymore. If they're not text messaging they become anxious. Instead of using their mind in positive ways they'd rather be sitting on the couch and being brainwashed. Instead of living free and expanding their minds, they'd rather live for the 9-5 lifestyle and focus their energy on making more money so they can buy more THINGS. Everyone wants and wants. If they don't get more, they aren't happy. People have separated themselves from nature/spirituality/open-mindedness. I'm young, but it seems to be getting worse, maybe it's because I'm a little older now and I didn't notice it as much before?

Like I said, there are still hippies that exist. Genuine hippies that live a way that you would expect a hippie to live. They do it because that's who they are and that's what they believe in, not for social acceptance. It's just a very small minority though. It's those that aren't part of the machine. I think a lot of these people do wish they were alive in the 60s so they could've experienced a true movement and been a part of something so large.

There are certain events that attract hippies crowds like music festivals and rainbow gatherings, but similar to what the OP mention, many are just there for the drugs and party, they're not really hippies. I wonder how many hippies that grew up in the 60s would be hippies if they were the exact same age in the year 2010. Even though it was counter-culture in the 60s, it was on a much larger scale obviously. It seems like a lot of baby boomer hippies have disappeared. Where did they all go? I think many of them have become victims of the machine too....

Last edited by TheKitch; 10-04-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
TheKitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
SpaceChive

SpaceChive is on a distinguished road
1 out of 1 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

Gee, that's sad, TheKitch!
But I feel the same thing, and this may be the reason for people wanting to go back to the sixties. A lot of things have changed since the sixties though, think sexual revolution, equality for black people, more tolerance for spirituality, although all of these points are questionable as well:

There seems to be this double moral: Sex for one, is now not a taboo anymore, but women are advertised as whores.
Bút if a man sleeps with five women he's cool and if a women does this with men she is a slut. Although society expects women to be sluts it seems.

Black people are still discriminated and still growing up in poor neighborhoods where they have less of a change to make it then others.
HipHop culture is being worshiped (in Holland at least, that's where I am from), and great numbers of Morocan and Turkish young people love it, and they are being discriminated against here! There are lots of immigrants from those countries over here, and they are expected to be thieves and agressive antisocial people.. this makes me wonder if we advanced at all.

And indeed, consumerism has grown exponentially.
It scares me. Money... people want it because they don't have any idea how to achieve joy, and all the new spirituality is FOR SALE! Buy a yoga mat, buy courses from your city guru, buy anything and be enlightened. Even the whole The Secret book from that Rhonda Byrne lady seems to be talking about making money, mostly...

We have more freedom, but indeed, we have become lethargic sheep. Look at what crap the supermarkets are selling and advertising as healthy, which is actually full of additives that are poisonous and when you ask people to question that they say: (and mind this, it's a key phrase for the deaf)

"Well, the government would never allow for things to happen that are bad for us"
Damn.. think people

Ok, so thanks for bearing with me here (or not)

I think what people miss from the sixties is the group spirit of the hippies. It's really hard to find unlethargic people around these days although I seem to have found some.
So
Here's my part, as a young woman who grew up in the nineties/2000s
Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
junglejack
aiko aiko

junglejack is a glorious beacon of lightjunglejack is a glorious beacon of lightjunglejack is a glorious beacon of lightjunglejack is a glorious beacon of lightjunglejack is a glorious beacon of light
Like this post? Yes | No    

on the same page again rev

jjack