very sick cat, oxycodone safe? - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Advertise on the Hip Forums   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Join the Facebook of Sex
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Forum Description: Discuss opiates from raw opium to heroin...
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
blitz7341
Banned

blitz7341 will become famous soon enough
very sick cat, oxycodone safe?
Like this post? Yes | No    

hi everybody. one of my cats is very sick. we brought her to the vet a couple times already. the vet drained a cyst a few days ago and then today took out the stitches. my cat is very sick though with some unknown infection. its body temperature is down below normal. it can hardly move and is obviously in alot of pain. the vet game it some anti-biotics and something for nausea, but nothing for pain. i have some oxycontin (oxycodone) pills, and was wondering if it would be safe to give a little to her. i cant find any information about oxycodone and cats anywhere. please does anybody know if this is safe?!?

i want to help my cat but i dont want to do anything dangerous. i know that the dose would be very small for a nine pound cat, maybe 1mg, i just dont know if oxycodone is toxic to cats or not.

if anybody has any info on it please let me know asap.
thanks everybody

peace
-Blitz
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Michael Phelps
Am I being detained?

Michael Phelps is a name known to allMichael Phelps is a name known to allMichael Phelps is a name known to allMichael Phelps is a name known to allMichael Phelps is a name known to allMichael Phelps is a name known to all
Like this post? Yes | No    

I think cats are more into K.
Sorry I can't help, I love cats but I think this is a Vet question. See if they are open tommorow, they should have something for your pet.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
sw0o0sh
Banned

sw0o0sh will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

ye just have ur cat snort some H he should feel better
Old 01-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
wild-flowers
forever arbitrary

wild-flowers is a name known to allwild-flowers is a name known to allwild-flowers is a name known to allwild-flowers is a name known to allwild-flowers is a name known to allwild-flowers is a name known to all
Like this post? Yes | No    

No it's not safe. Ask for something for pain for your cat.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:42 AM   #5
happydude_60

happydude_60 will become famous soon enoughhappydude_60 will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

It would have to a very small dose. But, is it pure oxy, or mixed with an anti-inflammatory? I'm not sure about acetominophen, but aspirin will kill cats. It eats holes in their stomachs. When I was a kid, we had a cat that was poisoned that way, and there was nothing the vet could do. That cat died a nasty death.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
 ROLLINGALONG
busy

ROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

yahoo answers...looks informative

Hi there...it is very dangerous to give pet animals any human medications unless prescribed by a vet as it could be very lethal. Those that can be taken need a vet to prescribe the correct dosage based on weight, age and various other factors depending on the diagnosis/treatment.

Another reason is that historically, veterinarians shied away from pain killers for cats because this species is quite sensitive to some of the products we humans (or dogs) can routinely look to for pain control. Now, extensive research has proved that some of these products can be used cautiously for cats too, either for short periods, at lengthened dosage intervals, or at a lower dosage levels.

Some pain medicines will never be safe or effective because cats are quite peculiar. Their liver lacks a fully functioning enzyme pathway, one that both canines and humans have. It is a low efficiency of thisglucuronidation pathway that leads to their relative intolerance of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) class of pain killer medications. Acetaminophen, carprofen, and aspirin are some examples of specific drugs with increased toxicity in cats due to this species-specific deficiency.

Please read the following article written by a University of Illinois Urbana Veterinary about the dangers of human medicine to cats:
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showa…

[edit] cats have a very high tolerance for pain and generally can suppress the pain to a certain extent. They are very good at hiding the pain and many who are spayed show little signs of distress. You can discuss this with your vet and learn more about this.

Here's an article about signs in cats who are in pain:
http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/ivapm/ani…
Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
happydude_60

happydude_60 will become famous soon enoughhappydude_60 will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

I never wished I was a joint until now.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
Magical mystery tourguide

Magical mystery tourguide will become famous soon enoughMagical mystery tourguide will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

this page talks about the use of painkillers in cats and dogs and covers opiates quite extensively-

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm.../detail/475600

hope your cat does better, is she old?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
kil0
The Rebel

kil0 will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

I know that dogs could be prescribed some hydrocodone solution...
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
thetrees

thetrees is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

blow some weed in her face?

until you can get a pain prescription specifically for your cat. i just wouldn't risk it... i've heard awful things about giving pain meds to animals

"all of us were stuck to the surface of a ball, incidentally. the planet was ball-shaped. nobody knew why we didn't fall off, even though everybody pretended to kind of understand it. the "really smart" people understood that one of the best ways to get rich was to own a part of the surface people had to stick to."
Closed Thread