Annie Greensprings, Ripple, Boone's Farm, Cold Duck! - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Click to Visit Aqua Lab Technologies   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Click to Advertise on the Hip Forums!
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Forum Description: Find out what was it like in the 60s & 70s from those who lived it!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Skip
Hip Forums Webmaster

Skip has disabled reputation
Annie Greensprings, Ripple, Boone's Farm, Cold Duck!
Like this post? Yes | No    

Remember the good old wine daze when there were all these cheap sweet gateways to life in the booze lane...

Dig this! Time mag article from 1971! Damn, that's the year I started College. Can't believe it's on the web. Way to go Time!

I used to drink these back in 71: Annie Greensprings, Ripple, Boone's Farm and Cold Duck!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...905097,00.html

Great quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Magazine
Beyond the fact that they do not taste like real wine, pop wines have much in common: they are cheap at about $1 a bottle, and their alcohol content is a minimal 11% or so. Another advantage: they add a pleasant extra dimension to the effects of pot.
Can't believe Time mag once promoted drinking wine & smoking pot together!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Ruby Cafeteria

Ruby Cafeteria is an unknown quantity at this point
1 out of 1 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

I recall quite clearly a lot of great days and nights in the 60s, when my large circle of friends and I sat about around a campfire, or on the floor of someone's apartment, listening to music, passing a joint that was quickly followed by a passed bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine, to wet your lips. A Silly thing perhaps, but they were great times, great conversation, and great music.
Ruby Cafeteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
oink

oink is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I remember those well but never cared for them. I prefered beer and bourbon.
oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Trigcove

Trigcove is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I recall Feb of 1971, at Mardi Gras in New Orleans, panhandling on Bourbon St. to get a buck for that familiar green bottle of Boone's Farm apple. Bourbon St. was a great place to panhandle, because people gave you paper money instead of change. We didn't have to pass the bottle, we each had our own. As soon as it empty, we'd take 5 minutes to panhandle up a buck for another one. The streets were literally curb deep in broken green glass. What a mess.
Trigcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
 ROLLINGALONG
hillbilly

ROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond reputeROLLINGALONG has a reputation beyond repute
Like this post? Yes | No    

annie greensprings....spent a summer with annie i did....in Michigan in the early 70s

here in canada we drank 'light and easy'...they used to say that it was Delicious until you over do it and get sick...then you will never drink it again and they were right
ROLLINGALONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
silverhippy
Comfortably Numb

silverhippy will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

Haha, I used to use those wines in my water bongs, and they were almost mandatory at every concert, we used to pass them around in those fake Goat skin things, "Bota bags"

Peace

silverhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
hafreed 
Lifetime Supporter

hafreed is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

Those were good times with good friends. Wonder where they are. A lot of forgotten nights too.

Is there anything like them now? I don't think I would like to drink it again regularly, but it would be interesting to experience that taste again and see what memories/feelings come up.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
oink

oink is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I still like beer and bourbon.
oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Trigcove

Trigcove is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

That's good, Oink, because you can't get Annie Greensprings, original Boone's Farm, or Ripple anymore.
I think that Boone's Farm still makes Strawberry Hill and maybe a couple of other "cooler"-like wines, but the days of Boone's Farm Apple are gone gone gone.
Trigcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
hafreed 
Lifetime Supporter

hafreed is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

At the local gas station/convenience store yesterday I saw a shelf of Boone's Farm in a cooler. Strawberry Hill, an old friend, was there along with 6 or 7 other flavors (Wild Cherry, Blue Hawaii, Watermelon). I did not see any apple flavors, but then I remembered the internet
http://boonesfarm.net/
They list two apple flavors. I think my friends and I drank the green apple (and Strawberry) with our smoke.