Hip Forums  

Go Back   Hip Forums > Alternative Lifestyles > Activism > The Environment

Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
earthmother
senior weirdo

earthmother is on a distinguished road
Default Honey Bees are coming back!

Just look at all these posts! so much to complain about and worry about! So. I thought perhaps it was high time to spread some POSITIVE news.

The bee disappearances that have everyone so worried? I believe that my original theory is correct! I felt that bees had simply become too weak in the care of humans to survive in this manner. Bees have been "kept" by humans for thousands of years. Think about this. How many humans do you suppose could survive if suddenly they were forced to actually simply TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES (no money, no job, no chemicals or modern medicine whatsoever, no technology, etc...)? Not many, right? Now, apply that idea to humans keeping bees. At present, it is virtually impossible to "keep" bees without the use of CHEMICALS (medicines etc.) to keep them from dying. But humans can't even take care of themselves, so how are they supposed to take care of ANY natural animal or insect which has become so domesticated that it can't take care of itself either???

OK. Blame cell phones, blame GM crops, blame insecticides... Whatever.

But the bees at least in SOME places are coming back!
Here, we live in "the sticks". Many years ago several of our neighbors kept bees, but those folks have died of old age or moved away. Most of the rest of the local bee keepers have given up due to so many problems with keeping bees. So for a few years we saw NONE AT ALL. With no effect to the crops, by the way.

But, bees are known to travel about 2 miles from the hive to find pollen. They won't go much farther away from their hive than that. I have several small fields of pure white clover which I keep going in order to try to attract any honey bees into the area. This year, for the first time in 5 or so years, there are HUNDREDS of honey bees showing up daily to feed! They love the poppy crop too... They MUST be wild ones. I don't think anyone within 5 miles of here keeps bees any more. But because there is NO GM farming, poor to no cell phone service, no big farms at all for large quantities of poisons to accumulate, and the existing bees have a totally natural diet, they now seem to be thriving! I was so excited to finally see a couple bees here in the clover patch, and there have been more coming every single day. I now can not walk across a field without watching where I step! They are doing well, getting stronger, taking care of themselves. No human interference. So, it IS a natural cycle of survival of the fittest, and sometimes that HAS to happen so that species do not get so weak they die out. Let's celebrate the bees return!
earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate is on a distinguished road

Born25YearsTooLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
trekker
Intrepid Traveler

trekker is on a distinguished road

I love bees. I am glad they are rebounding. Without bees there would be much less to appreciate in life.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
gardener
Realistic Humanist

gardener will become famous soon enough

Never left my neck of the woods, but perhaps all the smoke we have right now may do some damage to their population for the short term. I am seeing little dead finches a lot. And just month ago I couldn't go down into my herb garden because of all the bees on the lavender. Not seeing them now since the smoke settled in.

I have faith that Mother Earth balances things out. I never really feared for the bees, and I hope they've just moved on somewhere that the air is clearer for now in my neck of the woods.

Anyone see that program on earth after people. It was enlightning.

http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
orison319
my dog is full of stars

orison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond reputeorison319 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats too, I guess the message for the rest of the bee poulation to commit suicide didnt get through.. Must have been interfered by man made microwave transmissions. ..

Ok so if the rest of the Bees are reading this... Kill yourself now so the humans can starve and talk&play on their cell phones.

'
Then they bring them to the factory
Where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders
And then the kerosene
orison319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
nananie

nananie is on a distinguished road

love it bees are so productive for so much things
i love honey, i love beeswax, i love bees, and i share their feelings about flowers (i don't eat them, but o do love them).

i would plant flowers that bees love if i had the possibillity, maybe i have...
nananie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #7
CloudFlower

CloudFlower is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear this...
Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia will become famous soon enough

Yay, please send some to my garden. I need pollenators, I'm running out of q-tips! :P
Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
eshu

eshu is on a distinguished road

disappearance (extinction?) of bees is a global matter though. I am not sure we may celebrate a 'return' from a local incident as is described here. sadly.

mother gaia knows what she's doing.
and
have fun!
eshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
earthmother
senior weirdo

earthmother is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshu View Post
disappearance (extinction?) of bees is a global matter though. I am not sure we may celebrate a 'return' from a local incident as is described here. sadly.

mother gaia knows what she's doing.
BUT...

If they can regroup in areas like this, then there is a new and healthier base to start from. This means it is possible elsewhere too. I have spoken to several folks around this and neighboring counties and they too report honey bees returning... Perhaps being one of the poorest areas in the USA has it's benefits?
earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote