Doctor's Excuse for Going Barefoot - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Click to Upgrade Your HipForums Account   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Click to Advertise on the Hip Forums!
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Forum Description: Discuss the joys and travails of going barefoot.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #1
barefootdude

barefootdude is on a distinguished road
Doctor's Excuse for Going Barefoot
1 out of 1 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

I just wanted to share this with all of you. Here is a way to stick it to the man, if you are able to pull this off:

Last Spring I was involved in an auto accident and had to go to physical therapy and doctor's checkups for a few months because I had back and knee pain. As the weather got nicer and I got back into my barefoot groove, I started showing up to the doctor's office barefoot. He asked my why I don't wear shoes anymore. Not knowing what to say, I just said that it helps with my back pain. To my suprize he quoted a study that was done in March from one of the medical journals in which it was found that walking barefoot helps with back and knee pain. I asked the doctor if he could give me an official prescription note so that I would be allowed to go barefoot "for medical reasons". He did, and to this day I keep a copy folded up in my pocket when I go into public places. I have also stapled a copy of the PA health department letter (from the SBL website) for extra ammo. The combination of both of these has made many a store manager back down for fear that I could sue under the ADA act. They just kinda leave you alone. It's great!!
barefootdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Therese Aline
Slave to the man

Therese Aline is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

That's really cool. Good for you.

Therese Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Rew

Rew is on a distinguished road
1 out of 1 members like this post. Like this post? Yes | No    

Haha, that's awesome! Oh, and welcome to Hip Forums, Jaime.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
seohsreven
Hip Forums Supporter

seohsreven is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I'll have to have my physician write me one of these the next time I visit the states. Should be good for some laughs. Thanks for the tip, barefootdude!
seohsreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
SIEKK

SIEKK is an unknown quantity at this point
Like this post? Yes | No    

om that's genius!!
OnTheRoad

SIEKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
bfjohn

bfjohn is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

You won't need a sick note in the UK, no one bothers about bare feet.
bfjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
txbarefooter

txbarefooter is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I'm not sure this will work in the US, the store could say "well, come back when you're feeling better and wearing shoes". no "IF" you could prove this is covered under the disability act then they would have zero legal recourse.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
seohsreven
Hip Forums Supporter

seohsreven is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbarefooter View Post
I'm not sure this will work in the US, the store could say "well, come back when you're feeling better and wearing shoes". no "IF" you could prove this is covered under the disability act then they would have zero legal recourse.
Any medical condition which is legitimately diagnosed by a physician and is a physical disability is covered under the ADA. Any 2-cent lawyer could easily sail this type of case through any court in the country. Discrimination is discrimination.
seohsreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
HempMama

HempMama is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

That's awesome! I know shoes def. can lead to back pain among other issues probably.
HempMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 AM   #10
bige1030

bige1030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Like this post? Yes | No    

The threat of a lawsuit may be enough for most managers to back down. (Or, like in the Home Depot thread, the manager could just say, "Okay, you can go barefoot in the store, as long as your bare feet don't touch the floor. Use the wheelchairs provided.") However, what if it isn't? Would the case be as easy as you think it is if you decide to sue? I'm not so sure that it would be.

For instance, the defendant could require you to be assessed by their own doctor (for purposes of the lawsuit), who might have a bad attitude about bare feet. (As we know, a lot of doctors, especially podiatrists, would advise against going barefoot.) That doctor might be able to suggest another accommodation that the company already makes or could easily make, leaving the company in the clear and you potentially liable for their legal bills.

Companies are not required to provide specific accommodations under the ADA if others work equally well. For instance, a business can accommodate a deaf patron by using pen and paper to communicate rather than hiring a sign language interpreter (if the person can read). A clothing store doesn't have to put its prices in Braille for its blind patrons if an employee is available to read the prices to the blind patrons.

A jury could also very well vote against you, especially if they hold bad attitudes about bare feet that don't come out during voir dire.
bige1030 is offline   Reply With Quote