Bread without sugar? - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Visit Weed Seed Shop for Great Deals on Cannabis Genetics!   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Buy Music Posters at AllPosters
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar is on a distinguished road
Bread without sugar?
Like this post? Yes | No    

I don't own a bread machine, but I've been wanting to bake bread for a while now, and I don't want to use sugar or white flour. Can I just substitute honey for the sugar? If so, do I just use the same amount as I would sugar? Or does anybody have any good recipes for 100% whole wheat bread without sugar? Thanks for any help. I'm really looking forward to making my own.

Peace
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners." - Edward Abbey
ILoveMyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
zihger

zihger is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I never use sugar in my bread, it always turns out good, the recipes I use call of a 1/3 cup of sugar and I started leaving it out and didnít notice any difference so I never use it now.

I donít know any 100% whole-wheat recipes that would be some stout bread!! Usually people use 1/5 or ľ whole wheat I think.

I use unbleached flour and 1/5 whole wheat or oat flour. I donít know much about bread I just use one basic recipe it turns out good, until I eat some an old grandma has made then it makes mine look pathetic.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

maybe try some honey yeah,or brown rice syrup
JerryWobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Olympic-Bullshitter
Banned

Olympic-Bullshitter will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

Eucalyptus honey imparts an interesting flavor and makes a much nicer, moister loaf than the regular sugar. Knead for at least 10 minutes: time yourself because it's a long time. Rap the loaf with your knuckles; if it sounds hollow, it's done.
Olympic-Bullshitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
stalk
Banned

stalk is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

I never use honey or sugar in my bread, ever.

Try coconut oil....yum.
stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
torz

torz is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

i've never put sugar in bread, infact when my sister told me she cut the amount of sugar she used in her bread maker i was kind of baffled & asked her why she put sugar in anyway. its not something i have ever heard of.

i dont own a bread maker, i much prefure to make my bread by hand. i find kneeding the dough quite threaputic & the more you kneed the nicer the bread seems to come out. here in the UK you can buy wholemeal bread flour to make wholemeal bread it just takes a bit longer to sort out.

if you make white bread using white flour you just mix the ingredients together, kneed & leave to rise under a tea towel before baking.

making wholemeal bread you mix the ingrediants together, kneed for as long as you can. leave the dough to rise for a few hours then go back to the dough & kneed it for aslong as you can again & leave it to rise for another two hours. if you want to kneed it again after this second rising time you can but itsnt always neccary.

you can add lodes of stuff to bread, why not try cheesey bread by throwing some grated cheese in to the ingrediants, or some seeds (pumpkin, poppy, flack, seasamy seeds just to name a few), what about some onion (onion & poppy seed is lovely), sun dryed tomato bread, banana bread, oat bread. the would is your oyster, go experiment.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96 YNWA

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life...so get wasted all of the time and you'll have the time of your life
torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain will become famous soon enoughBlueLightRain will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

I'm a mixer in an artisan bakery and none of our bread is sweetened with sugar (with a few seasonal exceptions). Our seven grain wheat has among other things, cornmeal and oat flakes in it and that gives it a nice sweetness. Honey wheat is another big seller.