Making Substrate - Hip Forums
Hip Forums Click to Upgrade your Account   Click to Chat
Hip Forums Home Register Forum Options Mark Forums Read Social Groups Hip Universe Hip Radio Chat Room

Thread Title Search    
User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Click to Advertise on the Hip Forums!
Hip Shops
Latest Videos
Active Journals
Forum Description: Feed your head with all sorts of fabulous fungi

Old 07-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
crackwasthename

crackwasthename is on a distinguished road
Making Substrate
Like this post? Yes | No    

i REALLY need to know.... How do i come across GOOD substrate w/o ordering it off the net? i mean, what do i need to pressure cook? what all should i mix in? what can i buy at a local store (like meijers) and MAKE substrate with?
also, real quick can someone tell me WHAT exactly vermiculite and pearllite are? i know i spelled it wrong.... i get it at meijers cant i?

`..*k*..`
(.'(. '**`' .)`'.)
(`.)(`.)
`. (`.).
װ `.. װ
crackwasthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
nesta
Banned

nesta will become famous soon enoughnesta will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

perlite is NOT material for substrate, and in fact should never come in contact with the substrate.

if you read a grow tek they'll tell you what to use and what you need. i suggest the PF Tek...google "PF Tek for Simple Minds" to get an illustrated "for dummies" version of an already simple method.

vermiculite is puffed mica.
nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
crackwasthename

crackwasthename is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

ok ive read that tec... (pearllite) i know its not for substrate but ive seen it listed on the equipment for a couple different tecs... thank you for clearing up what EXACTLY vermiculite is, nesta.
substrate can be made so many ways and all these different ways of doing it is confusing me! what do i need to get from meijers for substrate? should i get rice, rye, what? and i know basically what to do after that, innoculate it. then i found a different tec jus for the casing/fruiting steps, which i like better... if i understand that ted right i lay a small layer of vermiculite on the floor of my incubator, then put new subtrate sliced into disks on top... then take the colonized cakes and crumble it inbetween the disks, then cover it all with vermiculite....

to be honest ill prolly stick to PF tec and jus flip the cakes....

if i want to find vermiculite at meijers, what do i look for/ask for? vermiculite?!

`..*k*..`
(.'(. '**`' .)`'.)
(`.)(`.)
`. (`.).
װ `.. װ
crackwasthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
undercooked

undercooked is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

Vermiculite will probably be with potting soil and other things like that, along with perlite.

Perlite is volcanic glass fragments, or something like that. Anyway, if it is soaked with water, drained, and spread along the bottom of your terrarium (not an incubator), it will humidify the air.

If you are going to use the pf tek, then you only need brown rice flour and vermiculite for your substrate; other whole grain flours will also work, but you must pressure cook if it is a whole grain flour because boiling alone will not kill bacterial endospores (which are not present in brown rice).

However, if you decide not to follow the pf tek and choose to case your substrate, then I would not recommend using brown rice flour as a substrate. With casings, you might as well use whole grains or whole brown rice. Wild bird seed and popcorn are two that are easy to find and cheap, but there are many others that will also work.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
MeatWagon499

MeatWagon499 is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

get some horse poo for free
Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

36fuckin5 will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

If you're going to case, you're going to need trays. Putting your casing on the bottom of the FC is going to present (possibly) 2 problems: if it gets contaminated, you lose the whole thing instead of 1 small casing. Also you're going to have a hell of a time humidifying your FC cheaply with no way to put perlite under your casing. A cool mist humidifier would be a must.

For your first time, though, I suggest just fruiting from cakes. The main thing is to follow directions exactly. Don't think you can experiment yet, because you can't. Once you get some experience, then try new things.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
nesta
Banned

nesta will become famous soon enoughnesta will become famous soon enough
Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercooked
If you are going to use the pf tek, then you only need brown rice flour and vermiculite for your substrate; other whole grain flours will also work, but you must pressure cook if it is a whole grain flour because boiling alone will not kill bacterial endospores (which are not present in brown rice).
this isn't quite right. the issue is whole grain v. whole grain flours, not brown rice v. other grains. for my first half a dozen grows probably i used organic whole grain millet flour, as at that time i was unable to find any organic brown rice flour. i never used a pressure cooker and had no problems related to the grain.

brown rice IS a whole grain, and brown rice flour is a whole grain flour. theres nothing particularly special about it - its just easy for most people to find, and has pretty good nutrition for mushrooms compared to many whole grain flours, and mixes up with the verm and water better than many.
nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
undercooked

undercooked is on a distinguished road
Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesta
this isn't quite right. the issue is whole grain v. whole grain flours, not brown rice v. other grains. for my first half a dozen grows probably i used organic whole grain millet flour, as at that time i was unable to find any organic brown rice flour. i never used a pressure cooker and had no problems related to the grain.

brown rice IS a whole grain, and brown rice flour is a whole grain flour. theres nothing particularly special about it - its just easy for most people to find, and has pretty good nutrition for mushrooms compared to many whole grain flours, and mixes up with the verm and water better than many.
You're right about them being whole grains, probably; I didn't look into it but what you said seems more based in reason than what I said, and the food pyramid comes to mind.

Anyway, whole brown rice doesn't have to be pressure cooked because it does not have as many bacterial endospores as other whole grains, so I always figured that's why brown rice flour is so popular when other whole grain flours are cheaper, more readily available, and probably made from more nutritious grains; containing less bacterial endospores seems like a pretty special feature when said flour is most commonly used by beginners who have to improvise their sterilization methods.

But I researched other whole grain flours versus brf just by reading around shroomery and googling it; supposedly, grinding the grains into a flour makes it easier to kill off the endospores, so it might not matter what type of flour is used, but I would still think that brf would be less prone to bacterial contamination compared to say, rye flour.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #9
mixmaster1314

mixmaster1314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Like this post? Yes | No    

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatWagon499
get some horse poo for free
hahahahaha. i just laughed at that hard. everyone else is like explaining shit hardcore and u just say "get some horse poo for free" hahaha