Hip Forums Click to Upgrade Your HipForums Account   Click to Chat

Thread Title Search    
Click to Advertise on the Hip Forums!
Hip Shops
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 AM  
220283
 Aerianne Aerianne is online now
Beloved Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Outside of Atlanta
Posts: 10,416
Default Unprecedented Wave of Railway Suicides Hits France

Twelve people committed suicide on French railways between Saturday June 2nd and Monday June 4th.

In one of the incidents, a 34 year old man leapt to his death with his 19 month old baby. They both died.

http://www.france24.com/en/20120529-...copycat-police

 


Extras
New Article
New Reply

Latest News
« Previous | Next »
You Rated this Thread:

Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM


orison319 orison319 is offline
my dog is full of stars
Posts:53054
pttf dead living, I dont give a flying fuck or a subway fuck really..
Add to orison319's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM


_Bob_ _Bob_ is offline
Una Tana Bibi
Posts:1015
That happens in Poland all the time-people jump in front of trains to commit suicide-then the trains are all shut down for hours. I'm sorry for what happened to these people, but you'd think if they wanted to commit suicide they could do it in a way that didn't paralyze travel for everybody for hours.
Add to _Bob_'s Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM


ChinaCatSunflower67 ChinaCatSunflower67 is offline
Member
Posts:438
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscrackers View Post
must be dreadful to witness someone taking their own life but i would imagine that the family and friends of the people who comitted suicide will be the ones who will suffer a lasting and profound effect of this. i feel for them all.
for the commuters it was merely an inconvenience and something to grumble about and i was totally shocked to read that the majority of French web users who commented on the suicides seemed more concerned by the traffic delays than the deaths themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscrackers View Post
dont people care about people anymore? its a sad day in my opinion when any death is treated as a means to have a cheap jibe or quip about aliens or zombies. where are the values of respect and love for others?
C'mon were on a forum, what do you expect? Its the same as how we all know a war is going that shouldnt be but still we are to concerned with our own lives to do anything about it, as long as its not happening to us we couldnt be bothered with it. I dont see how people saying "I feel Bad..." or "R.I.P" on a forum makes them better than the people concerned with the delays. Why should people on the internet be concerned with these suicides? They have their own agenda and lives to worry about, we could say R.I.P or make a joke about a zombie apocalypse but it doesnt matter either way, Its 12 deaths out of + thousands of deaths that happen every day. We cant feel bad for all of them, why cant we celebrate their moving on? we know their not going anywhere, feeling sad or unhappy isnt going to get anyone ahead.

I feel like I might start some shit with this post but its how I feel on the subject.

I should add that I have dealt with multiple deaths of people and friends I knew all my life in my small community, and it happens and its shocking, but thats as far as it goes. The dead arent rolling in their graves because we didnt write R.I.P on a forum.
Add to ChinaCatSunflower67's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM


alwayscrackers alwayscrackers is offline
Member
Posts:314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCatSunflower67 View Post
C'mon were on a forum, what do you expect? Its the same as how we all know a war is going that shouldnt be but still we are to concerned with our own lives to do anything about it, as long as its not happening to us we couldnt be bothered with it.
not sure that i understand your reasoning there that we're on a forum, what did i expect? i thought forums were for discussion, learning, challenging our thoughts, and not just for fun purposes, although it's good that people can find both here.

can i ask then, you say about wars and why the fuck should we worry because it's not happening to us? see, thats the problem isn't it, you say if our lives arent affected then why should we care? well in my opinion we should care because one day this could and has in the past, been on our own doorstep.

reminds me of the poem by niemoller....

First they came for the Communists,
and I didnít speak up,
because I wasnít a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didnít speak up,
because I wasnít a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didnít speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

and that is why we should care..........but i respect that you have a different viewpoint to me, that is what makes forums like this so interesting
Add to alwayscrackers's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-08-2012, 04:51 PM


ChinaCatSunflower67 ChinaCatSunflower67 is offline
Member
Posts:438
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscrackers View Post
not sure that i understand your reasoning there that we're on a forum, what did i expect? i thought forums were for discussion, learning, challenging our thoughts, and not just for fun purposes, although it's good that people can find both here.

can i ask then, you say about wars and why the fuck should we worry because it's not happening to us? see, thats the problem isn't it, you say if our lives arent affected then why should we care? well in my opinion we should care because one day this could and has in the past, been on our own doorstep.

reminds me of the poem by niemoller....

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

and that is why we should care..........but i respect that you have a different viewpoint to me, that is what makes forums like this so interesting
Neat poem, spose your right. But yeah, I dont think theres a way to get everyone to care about these subjects. People have things like jobs and daily drama's that makes it to busy to worry about whats happening on the news. Not saying thats how it should be I guess but thats what I see it as.

My comment was mostly aimed towards your being 'shocked' at the commuter's responses...

Quote:
for the commuters it was merely an inconvenience and something to grumble about and i was totally shocked to read that the majority of French web users who commented on the suicides seemed more concerned by the traffic delays than the deaths themselves.
Add to ChinaCatSunflower67's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 AM


alwayscrackers alwayscrackers is offline
Member
Posts:314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCatSunflower67 View Post
Neat poem, spose your right. But yeah, I dont think theres a way to get everyone to care about these subjects. People have things like jobs and daily drama's that makes it to busy to worry about whats happening on the news. Not saying thats how it should be I guess but thats what I see it as.

My comment was mostly aimed towards your being 'shocked' at the commuter's responses...
yes people do have their own problems and theyre not to be underestimated, job and home loss, relationship breakdowns, money troubles with this world recession, govt interference in lives, health even, but i do believe that the tide is turning and that people are starting to wake up and see whats going on around them and are being concerned enough to do something. thats why the occupy movement has been so strong in so many countries. we all have a voice and we can use it if we choose to and the time is now.

not sure yet though why all the unprecendented suicides in france though, anyone know any more about this and what the reasons may be other than it could, and probably was, have been brought about by the things ive said about above?

a thought just came in my mind as i typed this, seems that countries that seem to be pretty well off in comparison to third world countries with fuck all have a higher percentage of people suffering from depression...............

maybe we should all be getting back to basics and being happy with what we do have instead of being greedy and wanting ever more and more because it seems its fucking hard when we lose it.

i make no apologies for being shocked at the commuters responses because i genuinely was, i care about people, maybe my hearts too soft, but id rather feel than not.
Add to alwayscrackers's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-10-2012, 04:46 PM


Vanilla Gorilla Vanilla Gorilla is offline
Kangarooter
Posts:6495
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscrackers View Post
dont people care about people anymore? its a sad day in my opinion when any death is treated as a means to have a cheap jibe or quip about aliens or zombies. where are the values of respect and love for others?
Roughly,

0.85% of the world population dies each year, 54 Million

150,000 a day

So in that 3 day period mentioned, 2nd to 4th of June, close to half a million other people died across the world and barely got a mention

150000 a day by the way, at an average of 80kgs each is 12000 tonnes per day of humanity. Eiffel tower is just over 10000 tonnes......a day

4.4 million tonnes a year, the Great Pyramid of Cheops weighs about 6.2 million tonne


Gross
Add to Vanilla Gorilla's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM


rak rak is offline
Senior Member
Posts:1235
Crazy.
Add to rak's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM


Vanilla Gorilla Vanilla Gorilla is offline
Kangarooter
Posts:6495
That also works out at 104 people every minute.

Staggering when you think about it, and we are worried about a few zombies last month, or a handful of suicides in this thread.

OIr back to the Boxing Day Tsunami, being shocked at the sheer number of deaths for that disaster (230,000) not realising that on that same day, roughly around the same number were keeling over in the rest of the world from heart disease, cancer, old age
Add to Vanilla Gorilla's Reputation  
Edit   Edit
Old 06-19-2012, 04:04 AM


Mr.Awesomeice Mr.Awesomeice is offline
Guest
Posts:1
It is sad when people die but if someone gets sad about every person that dies then they will always be depressed. Now I'm not saying that we should be apathetic towards the death of others but we should have a reverence toward their situation. And I personally believe that it is horrible what happened. I could not imagine purposefully injuring my self much less taking my own life. To think that someone would be hopeless or sad enough to do it is disturbing to me.
Add to Mr.Awesomeice's Reputation  
Edit   Edit

Bookmarks

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Hip Forums Home > News
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:15 AM.

The Hip Forums are intended for mature audiences for entertainment and educational purposes only. Hip Inc. doesn't encourage anyone to break laws, so know the law where you live. You are solely responsible for your actions on this site and illegal activities will be not be tolerated here.

Portal By vbPortal Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vbPortal. All Rights Reserved.
Click to Upgrade Your HipForums Account