An Unpaid Study

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 695

I work in a health institute and currently there is a weight-loss study that is going on. It's nothing that hasn't been done before; scientists offer overweight subjects a plant-based protein shake that is taken twice a day with a meal of fruits, vegetables, and low carbs. I signed up for the study. I had asked someone who was doing Weight Watchers if she wanted to participate in it. She's morbidly obese (i.e., probably in the mid- to high 300s). She took the information and seemed somewhat interested.
But then things started to change. She asked if she could participate in the study during work hours (the answer is no). Then she asked me if the subjects were going to be paid for the study (they weren't). Then--thinking that the shake would be given immediately to the subjects--she was told about the intake that was required which also included keeping a detailed food log. I think the writing down of what was being consumed was what put her over the top.
She told me that she was going to decline.
I felt sad and sorry for her because I know she needs the help. Right now she is doing some sort of self-inflicted acupuncture by placing what look like apple seeds under tiny band aids on parts of her ear. She asked if she could do it to me. I told her that I took acupuncture seriously, but simply said, "No, maybe you'd hit a meridian that would turn me into a crazed sex fiend!"
Not much more to my story. What hurts me, though, is that she seems so angry and unmotivated to do something that could get her started in making a big dent. And talking to people about weight loss is one of the most uncomfortable topics that I can think of. C'est la vie.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice