ליבּע קוזינע פֿאַטרישע, איך װינש דיר דאָס אַלעבּעסטע אױף יענעם זײַט

Published by Duncan in the blog Duncan's Blog. Views: 738

FORMERLY ENTITLED 'Cleaning out the draft files'*

The drafts file of my email account grows like wildfire. Many times I will begin a letter and never get to finish it; it comes with keeping multiple programs running simultaneously. Today I decided to thin out the unfinished business and I noted that two of the emails in the pile were to someone who had died..

... (06/19/2018 @ 0058) ... I'll have to come back to this later.

Update (06/19/2018 @ 2349) The deceased person in question was a cousin of my soulmate. Said cousin opted to adopt me (by phone) and we called each other cousin. Although she was from Brooklyn and I originally hail from the Bronx, we spoke a common language (or two). Unfortunately, my soulmate was also big on telling me where all the bodies were buried (both literally and figuratively) and it wasn't always easy to tap dance around cousin for fear of not wanting to stir up sour grapes or to reveal a piece of family fabric that might have been heretofore unknown to her.

So many thoughts were passing through my brain when I saw the unwritten letter. Was there something that happened on that date that made me want to write to her? Had she been absent from Facebook too long? Did she write something funny on Facebook to which I had wanted to respond privately?

Years ago I remember calling people and getting a disconnect notice. Back then that meant only one thing; death! Or how about when the husband/significant other would pick up the phone and I'd say, "I've got a bone to pick. I haven't heard from your other half in awhile. What's up?" The response of "He/she died," of course doesn't resonate well.
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice