Cancer and aids treatment in the future.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by forestdude, Jun 14, 2004.

1. forestdude

forestdude Member

With all the people who are surviving cancer these days and all the advancements that are being made in treating HIV what do you think HIV and cancer treatment will be like 10 years from now? How much more advanced do you think we will be? Just wanting some opinions.

2. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

My bet would be on genetic therapies, made by harvesting and genetically reprogramming the patient's own immune cells to create a "customized" therapy for each individual.

3. akhc

akhc Member

I think we'll be able to prolong life and make that quality of life better.. I wouldn't bet on a cure anytime soon.

actually the only thing medicine has really managed to cure in the last 20 years has been a few childhood leukaemias (not really a cure as it involves high dose radiation therapy and bone marrow transplantation which will probably lead to some problems 50-60 years from now in some) and also peptic ulcer disease because they realised it was caused by the H Pylori bacteria that could be eradicated with antibiotic therapy.

4. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

5. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Seems like the white blood cells are what cause the greatest problems. I believe it is T-cell and the B-cell that are always spoken about and written up about.

What do I see in the future? I suspect that when humans are born, individual pieces of tissue will be taken and DNA will be analyzed and recorded for future repair such as this!

6. akhc

akhc Member

why take the DNA at birth? the whole body is one reservoir of DNA.. just tke enough cells so that u can tell which genes are the original ones.. the damaged genes will have a far smaller proportion of the cells harvested.