Why Democrats (Liberals) Piss Me Off

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LSDSeeker, Jun 23, 2005.

1. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

First off, I will say that I despise the Christian Right, which I used to be sympathetic to. I find them intolerant, narrow-minded, judgmental and pushy. I also despise the Fascists, who have no respect for individual liberty, often promote racism through ignorance (it's no secret that neo-Nazis tend to be on the low end of the intelligence scale), and display the more primitive aspects of humanity with their blind nationalism.

I despise the pro-war conservatives who have enlarged our government while claiming to be for less government, and who are bringing the U.S. in deeper and deeper debt. Not to mention, I despise them for basing the war on Iraq on lies (Iraq was not linked to al-Qaeda nor did they, according to the U.N., possess WMD in recent years).

But I despise the hypocrisy of the left, which masks its aggression with human rights rhetoric. They often go on unfair witch hunts against "racists," "sexists," "fascists," and so forth, thus encouraging actual cases when people react to their excesses. They like to attack the character of their opponents (using moral rhetoric) rather than debate the issues (using the labels just mentioned).

I despise the idea that the government should take care of people. Of course there are exceptional cases and they deserve a safety net; as do the elderly people, who are helpless and infirm.

I despise the scientific obscurantism of the left, which denies racial differences ("race does not exist") and engages in specious reasoning that is music to ears, rather than the truth. I despise that scientists are afraid of not receiving federal funds if their views on race and other issues are not politically correct.

Again, the hypocrisy: it's OK to argue "who was the best communist," but not "who was the best fascist." I have learned to accept this as a social bias extending beyond this forum, similar to the biases important thinkers had to accept in earlier times that were beyond their control.

I especially despise how Republicans and Democrats are so much alike, yet people pretend Republicans are evil and Democrats so humanistic. The system does not allow for a wide range of debate, and the Democrats by and large supported the war.

It's almost as if the Republican-bashing is mindless fashion.

2. listen to screw

listen to screw Member

read what i wrote in that "my mom wrote a letter" or some shit like that thread. pretty much sums up how most of the left is

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LSD

Well sorry man but your post seems pretty confused. It seems high on anger and low on thought.

I mean "They often go on unfair witch hunts…" and "They like to attack the character…" who are ‘they’ all on the left some on the left some part of the left? And do you think only the ‘left’ are involved in this?

I despise the idea that the government should take care of people. Of course there are exceptional cases and they deserve a safety net; as do the elderly people, who are helpless and infirm.

You might despise it but why, what are your reasons for this dislike?

I despise the scientific obscurantism of the left, which denies racial differences

What do you mean by racial differences?

specious reasoning that is music to ears, rather than the truth

Can you give an example?

I despise that scientists are afraid of not receiving federal funds if their views on race and other issues are not politically correct.

Can you give an example?

Again, the hypocrisy: it's OK to argue "who was the best communist," but not "who was the best fascist."

If you want to tell us who is your favourite fascist is go ahead no one is stopping you, just as no one is stopping you from telling us who is your favourite communist. What is your point?

similar to the biases important thinkers had to accept in earlier times

What present day thinkers are you talking about?

I especially despise how Republicans and Democrats are so much alike, yet people pretend Republicans are evil and Democrats so humanistic

Please clarify.

4. all politicians suck, deal with it, and people get angry or at least tweaked and come in ready to fight because of the political idiocy on the outside, meanwhile you're seeing conservative bashing..... the conservatives are in power, it's what happens, they have been for awhile, most of the time I've been politically concious anyway.....

yeah they're the same, they pretend to hate eachother but to get some pork barrel funding to keep their ass in office they'll turn faster than can possibly be imagined, but most of the people who don't know that are either republicans who are going to vote under any condition or democrats who can't get off their ass long enough to vote...

I'm a left\independant, I'm on a more issue based system... but I'll have a tendancy to vote liberal because they admit they want big government, the right wing says they want small government but they have enlarged government more in their past few cycles of power than the liberals have since fdr.....

if I'm going to vote conservative it's getting to be a libratarian vote...

5. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

I was just bored last night, after having studied plenty. I come here and vent or see what's up to entertain myself. ;)

Yeah, I think all groups can go on witch hunts. For example, FrontPageMag.com (www.frontpagemag.com) engages in smear tactics more than any other Web site I know of. But my aim in the post was principally at the way the left has narrowed debates on various issues with political correctness; some topics are just out of bounds.

The lie that "race does not exist," for example. It used to be that very progressive anthropologists called such notions quacky.

I wrote:

You asked me to clarify, but this seems obvious. I'd hardly call voting Democrat working toward progress any more than voting Republican. Democrats are for big, bureaucratic government, just in a different way: Republicans spend on the war machine, while Democrats want to redistribute wealth, which unfairly punishes the most successful in a capitalist society; and they like to create all kinds of wasteful social programs.

I'm just trying to bring some perspective. Are you a Democrat, by the way?

6. robostiltzkin

robostiltzkin Member

Democrats (liberals) piss me off as well, as do republicans (don't dare call them conservatives). Everything you said can apply to the republicans. Need I remind anyone how many DEMOCRATS voted for the unPatriot Act, for the Iraq war, etc. etc.
    How many times has a republican attacked the character of an opponent? Any time that is done, that is because there is no legitimate means to attack their opinion (ad hominem attacks.) And how many times have republicans also justified war under the guise of human rights?
    You want scientific malfeasance? How many republicans are for teaching "intelligent design" or worse in schools under the guise of "science". How many republicans oppose stem-cell research because of THEIR false idols?
    You are right in saying that republicans and democrats are so much alike. I say they are exactly alike-they all tell the same lies to the same people to get the same votes. What REALLY pisses me off about the democrats at the moment is this: they have a unique opportunity to be a strong and true opposition party, but they chose not to. They chose to bitch and moan about bush, while failing to offer any viable alternatives. They chose to obstruct, rather than construct, and that is why we are where we are at today. They are weak and spineless and let the republicans do what they will. All this proves to me is that they truly are not different. What have we learned from all this-the only hope we have is in abandoning this 2-party oligarchy and allowing some true voices of dissent and ideas into the discourse. Otherwise, nothing will ever change.

7. listen to screw

listen to screw Member

i like the way you think slutter :sunglasse

8. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

He's right though.
    That's one reason I can't stand liberals.

9. listen to screw

listen to screw Member

yep. that makes about 5 of us in these forums

10. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

LSDseeker, your thread-starter resonated with me. I, too, see a lot of bullshit hyperbole and surely a lot of hypocrisy from the left. A lot of hate that they don't like to admit to, as well -- 'cause you know, they're supposed to be the party of inclusion and love and all that crap.

The biggest thing I can't stand about the left is the insistence that the People are not qualified or trustworthy enough to own guns and be able to handle them for their own defense. The utter wrongheadedness that results in an anti-gun ideology is just baffling. It's factually and intellectually bankrupt, and they just keep repeating lie after lie about it -- the lies don't even sound remotely convincing, either.

-Jeffrey

11. btw for the record

redistribution of wealth wouldn't work......

bill gates fortune goes to everyone in the world, everyone gets 10 dollars (and right now the dollars weak, imagine how weak it'd have to be to prompt redistribution of wealth) and billy is left with ten dolars (from the 60 billion he had a little while ago)

the richest would be destroyed and the poorest would barely benefit, it would be a pointless gesture.......

I figured this would be one of the better threads to air this concern

I mean helping people on a 1:1 basis works, massive enforced redistribution wouldn't..... I've argued for it in the past for emotional reasons (I'm sorry but you guys are not the most loveable conservatives out there, escalation happens) but it's just not practical

12. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

whenever elections come up I do vote, but I always leave feeling like maybe I've made the wrong choice. To be honest, you just can't trust any politicians. They all want the same thing.... power.

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

There seems to be a lot of bitching going on but not much being said of any coherent value.

Several of the topic raised here have had there own threads (gun control, distributive economics, ‘liberal’ Bushbashing, etc) or a thread could be started on the subject. The thing is just throwing them in like this seems petty. As I said the original post seemed confused and the replies haven’t added clarity.

Shall we see if we can gain that clarity?

We have had three categories set out

The left

Democrats

Liberals

Are these in your opinions the same or do you think of them as separate?

By the way LSD I was born in the UK and an UK citizen and although some have calls us the 51’s state we do not have voting rights in the US and don’t have US political parties. Also you might find this strange but if the Democrats did stand in the UK they would be the most right wing political party in the UK system.

14. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

Maybe, but there is bitching in just about every forum, and especially in the politics section. My impression is that you have taken offense at my post for some reason, and I am guessing it is because you identify with the left in some way.

Considering that a large number of posts in the politics section are attacks against the right-wing and especially Republicans without any arguments, I am guessing that the initial post in this thread struck a nerve with you.

That's an interesting question, since many leftists disagree with each other and there are leftists of all personality types. These 3 terms above (left, democrat, and liberals) all have their own nuances but they are, in the U.S., very related. In general, in the U.S. Democrats tend to lean more to the left. I won't get into specific details, but I don't think it's far-fetched to say there are psychological affinities between the left in the U.S. and the left in many other countries. You can name them whatever you want but they are still the left (compared to other members of their societies).

I heard that in the UK it's illegal to use terms considered to be racially or ethnically defamatory. If this is the case it would make my post relevant even for you, since I mentioned that liberals restrict the range of debate in their peculiar ways. Is it true that there is suppression of this type of speech in the UK? If so, how do you feel about it? In Europe there are all kinds of laws against "inciting racial or ethnic hatred" which have turned some countries into quasi-police states where certain ideas are taboo and many people live in fear.

15. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

I'll never vote for democrats or republicans. I can't stand either side...this pathetic two party political system has taken its toll on my anger level.

I used to show my support for democrats, until I realized most of those elected are complete idiots. How the hell did Howard Dean get the leadership position? He gives his party a horrible name, [one which they deserve right now].

I for one cannot stand this mindless republican-bashing on these forums. There's absolutely no substance when that quibble is posted. It's always "Bush is evil!" - Jesus, Kerry would be worse in office!

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LSD

I’m a leftie, I don’t hide the fact but I’m sorry your posts have caused me neither offence nor struck a nerve. As mentioned my complaint is that they seem confused and ignorant, which I’m not using in any derogatory sense but only to indicate that they don’t seemed to contain very much thought or knowledge.

I gave you the opportunity to explain yourself more clearly but you seem unwilling to do so even when you deem to reply.

For example you seem to have an interests in ‘race’ but I’m unsure what your opinion is on the subject because you have not exactly explained what your opinion is?

You say that the left “denies racial differences” but when asked what you mean by that you reply
    “The lie that "race does not exist," which isn’t an explanation but only seems like a reiteration of the same assertion.

To me all humans are part of the human race, we are part of the same species. But there is within that group, differences, that some call racial. So I’m unsure what you mean when you say that there are those that ‘deny’ racial differences?

In an ancestral sense as a European I’m a bit of a mongrel, a mixture of different ‘racial’ groupings. The little I know of my ancestry it would seem to go back to Norman French on one side and Celtic Scots on the other but then things are not that simple. I don’t know if I’m more pictish or scotti Celt and then Scotland has had a few visitors so their could be Scandinavian or British blood in there as well. As to the Norman side, Norman comes from ‘north’ or ‘norse’ men, Scandinavians again but they were mixed with the French. But French comes from Franks which were a German people one of the many groups that flooded into the Roman Empire but even they just put another layer on top of the older romanised Celts. Anyway the Normans that moved to England then mixed with the Anglo-Saxons (more Germans).

Americans have similar problems with all the racial mixtures of different colonists, I mean there isn’t an ‘American’ race only a mish mash of different ‘racial’ groups that are citizens of the US, Canada, Mexico etc.

Of course people in the past have tried to pin down legal definitions of race, usually to underpin some form of apartheid. In the American south people that were clearly ‘white’ could be seen as ‘black’ just because a great grandmother of theirs happened to be black. I’m sure you would agree with me that that is stupid.

Anyway as I said I am still unsure what you mean when you talk of racial differences, if you are talking about looks they can become diluted over time if different groups mix and many have done. There are those that say people of different racial groups somehow think differently but I don’t think it has ever been proven.

So please explain, if you can.

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I heard that in the UK it's illegal to use terms considered to be racially or ethnically defamatory. If this is the case it would make my post relevant even for you, since I mentioned that liberals restrict the range of debate in their peculiar ways. Is it true that there is suppression of this type of speech in the UK?

You say that debate in the racial and ethnical area would be restricted but at the moment the only person restricting debate here is you by not explaining what you mean by ‘racial differences’?

What kind of speech do you think is being suppressed?

"In Europe there are all kinds of laws against "inciting racial or ethnic hatred" which have turned some countries into quasi-police states where certain ideas are taboo and many people live in fear."

What is your evidence for this assertion?

What are the ideas you believe are taboo?

18. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

Balbus,

I would be more than willing to continue and elaborate on the points you discussed or thought there was a lack of clarity, except that I found your responses, unlike the others, both condescending and rude.

Race and other topics are fraught with emotions which can very easily create nasty arguments and bitter feelings. Perhaps you may not understand this, but I have tiptoed issues not to be rude, appear ignorant (which you already have decided I am), or to deceive but so as to not provoke unnecessary antagonisms. Still, as this seems like a pretty open-minded forum, in general, I would be more than willing to clarify myself if someone were to ask me politely or with genuine interest.

I gave you an opportunity to elaborate on your feelings about current laws in place in the UK, in addition to ones under consideration. You might find this article of interest (perhaps not, if your posts are an indication):

"New effort to ban religious hate"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4075442.stm

I did not find in your responses the level of impartiality that I would expect of a "super moderator." Then again, I don't run this forum, and I don't really know who you are.

Sincerely,

LSD

19. CyberFly

CyberFly Banned

Democrats are not perfect, but they are a step in a better direction.

For those who despise the two-party system, don't worry, Bush is working very hard to make it a one party system.

[​IMG]

20. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

Stupidest post ever.