Brass/copper bowl

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Beleg, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Beleg

Beleg Member

Does brass or copper give off poisonious fumes when burned? Im wondering because I found this really nicely sized brass and copper nozzle for a hose, and I was thinking about useing it as a bowl on a hooka Im making.

2. Obscured By Clouds

Obscured By Clouds Member

I heard somewhere, yes.

3. omnip0d

omnip0d Member

i'm gonna have to say no(*crosses fingers*), cuz all the screens i have on my pipes are brass.

4. Beleg

Beleg Member

Ok, Im pretty sure its brass. In the off-chance that is IS copper though, how bad is it for me?

5. phoenix88

phoenix88 Member

I'm pretty sure its not good.

6. adoutsider

adoutsider Member

I'd take a hit, and if it doesn't taste funny its safe enough for me...

but then again i wanna die befor i turn 70 lol.

7. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

brass is safe, copper is toxic

;)

if its from a hose, its most probably brass, because its meant to be non-reactive, being on a hose and all.

8. dj_reegz

dj_reegz Member

yup copper gives off toxins when heated. Thats why copper pots have steel or aluminum liners so the food doesn't come in contact with the copper (they taught me that in cooking school)

9. Beleg

Beleg Member

Ok, thanks. It looks kinda old too, its been in my house for as long as I can remember. But, if I were to heat a bit of copper for like a day, would it run out of toxins?

10. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

11. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

obviously brass is not toxic... otherwise headshops probably wouldnt be selling brass pipes

12. dj_reegz

dj_reegz Member

not unless you run out of copper during that process too.

FOR THE LAST TIME: USE GLASS

13. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Copper is poisonous? I thought it was safe; our body uses copper. Maybe just the fumes are bad, then...

14. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Smoking out of copper is BAD FOR YOU. In high school when I was in HVAC all the potheads used to be like ima make a pipe when we're soldering blah blah and the first thing the teacher would tell them is that by heating copper some shit happens and your lungs get crystallized with some bs that is TOXIC. DON'T SMOKE OUT OF COPPER. This guy wasn't trying to be a public service announcement either, he was real laid back and didn't give a flying fuck about smoking weed. As for the moron who said "big deal not like putting weed smoke in your chest is any better," WEED SMOKE IS NOT TOXIC YOU SILLY BASTARD.

15. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, it's chemically reactive, not physically... it's kind of like the difference between mixtures and something that's coated. There's no way to burn it off. It's an element that gives off a toxic chemical reaction when heated. Simple enough.

Brass is an alloy and it has a different reaction, one that isn't toxic... and like they said, they sell brass pipes and bowls in headshops, so brass is fine, but I'd take something like ceramic or glass over metals.

16. Orsino2

What about the endorphins and every other fucking chemical already in your body? What about sacchrin, aspartame, sucralose, phenylalanine, preservatives?

We're all gonna die. If you have a problem with people who do smoke, do us a logical favor for yourself and let us die faster.

17. PLyTheMan

PLyTheMan Senior Member

Seriously, glass is the best! You can get glass bowls at a headshop, try using those for your hookah. You can probably connect the glass bowl to a longer downstem made of some realy thin piping (such as brass). I dont think a copper downstem would be bad, I doubt enough heat would be drawn through the bowl, but I sucked at chemistry so I say its not worth the risk.

On the matter of sealing homemade pipes, what do you all use? I used solme JB Quick Seal on a steamroller pipe to seal the bowl into the pipe. The first couple hits tasted like the glue but after that its tasted fine and I've never noticed the sealant getting soft from the heat.

18. Orsino2

I use mcguyveresque tactics. :rolleyes: Scotch tape and a lighter... soda bottle caps.