California Poppy

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by Day Dreamer, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

I know that the California poppy does not contain nearly as much opium as Persian White poppies, however, I've heard that smoking it yields a short, marijuana like high. Is this true?

Also, if it is true, how would one go about growing, harvesting, and smoking the poppy?

I ask, because the area where I live is often dry when it comes to marijuana, and california poppies are something I could grow and enjoy without raising my parents suspicion(unlike a marijuana plant).

2. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

I'd go for the opium poppy (papaver somniferum), which is legal and the seeds for which are sold at Wal*Mart.

I wouldn't bother smoking the plant; you'll enjoy better luck by growing a LARGE amount of poppies and harvesting the opium from the pods. Simply wait until the pods are large, then slit the sides and scrape the tar from it; once you've collected all the tar, allow it to dry...you then have opium, which can be smoked by itself, or mixed with cannabis for a more enjoyable high. ;)

3. oblivion

oblivion Member

californian poppies arnt even poppies hon. they are an entirely different species of plant.

4. somethingwitty

somethingwitty Member

Ca poppies do have a tiny amount of opiates in them, but there is something else that can be pretty sedating if prepared right. The goods are in the root ;) Wash the root thoroughly, and eat it. (There is an outside and an inside part of the root, only the outside is really edible, the inside part is basically just wood) It tastes like shit, but mixed with wine chasers it provides a decent numbness.

5. oblivion

oblivion Member

i honestly dont think its in the papaver family. i will go and root through my flower bible and check. the guy that wrote opium for the masses said something about some interesting chems being in the ca pop, but that doesnt include any of the opiate alkaloids.

6. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

I know that Calfornia poppy can not be smoked for it's opium effects. However, on this site:

http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/otc/legalhighs179419.html

if you scroll down, you'll notice a section on California Poppy. I myself, am not completely convinced with the reliabilty of the source, but I am very interested in legal highs, so I thought it was worth pursuing.

7. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Here's the text:

8. oblivion

oblivion Member

ok then i guess it must be related. have you tried it yet? i should imagine it has a minimal effect, but i have heard that it can make you feel mildly stoned. i suppose it is a poppy in as much as a rosehip is a rose... its related but it isnt an actual rose. it makes me wonder though, if it has opioid alkaloids in it, then why isnt it prohibited in the US like the rest of the papaver family?

9. paintballer687

paintballer687 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A while ago I smoked some, but I disliked the taste and decided to just go with some bud after the first hit. I was still interested in it, though, so I made an extract from it. The amount extracted from it was pretty small, so I just threw it on top of some bud and smoked it, but I did get pretty damn stoned.

10. ratgirldjh69

ratgirldjh69 Member

wow - i have also heard that the california poppies don't do much. BUT when i was coming down off of methadone and was still in w/d and couldn't sleep - i went to a health food store and bought a bottle of poppy tincture. now i'm pretty sure this was california poppy tincture - because i can't believe they would sell opium poppy tincture - but i must say it took the edge of my w/d off and i didn't ever use very much at one time because i had to make it last. so they must have something in them - unless it was just the alcohol in the tincture or it was in my head - which it could have been....
    djh