fuck walmart

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by cousinit, Jun 11, 2004.

1. brothersun

brothersun Member

That is a very immature statement. The fact that walmart offers a community jobs, does not mean you have to be a stupid criminal to work there. Walmart hires students working themselves through school or the older generation who wants to do something with there time. The fact that alot of these small stores hire family and friends of family. I live in canada so our walmarts are not full of illegals. And they treat there emplyees as good as any other corporation.

2. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

sex discrimination? I didn't know that. Then again I've kinda been in my own little world for awhile... Anybody know more about that I'm kinda curious what happened there. i'd apprechiate it.

~~peace~~

3. pinocchio

pinocchio Banned

4. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

thanks very much for the link!

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

My sister was a manager for Zany Brainy, an upscale educational focused toystore, until WM cost her her job. WM has put almost all the toystores out of business by selling under cost. If all you sell is toys, there is no way to compete. It sucks, but it's not just WM. Free market capitalism sucks.

Back before Reagan, there was at least some balance in this country between capitalism and democracy. His policies tipped the balance a little too far and democracy has now been all but swallowed by capitalism. It's funny. People even think of them as the same thing now. Tragic.
    Starbucks, anyone?

6. colloquialone

colloquialone Member

This is just one reason I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart. Corporate America gets away with murder and the complacency of Americans makes me even sicker. As long as their cable tv is working they don't give a shit and aren't gonna get off the sofa and do anything. When people say,gee this doesn't seem fair, I always say it's capitalism what the hell did you expect? You only make it here if you are top dog and have eaten all other dogs who tried to get in your way.

7. jay

jay Member

You have to be careful about people who write columns and such. And this happens for both right and left wing people. They tend to leave out things against there case or twist and distort facts to suit their needs. This sounds like it was written by a guy who bought something regretted it and couldn’t return it because he lost a receipt. Comparing Wal-Mart to the British throne back in the day is just ridiculous

Even though Wal-Mart has downsides and may do this or other things that are bad. It dose have good sides. I can say this with confidence because my aunt works there. So she is not rich, an illegal or a criminal she has worked in retail for a long time. And considers Wal-Mart to be the best employer yet, (Her last one being Ames)

With all that being said, I don’t shop there unless they have something I cant find anyplace else

8. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I hope to one day operate an independent pharmacy, and places such as Wal-Mart scare me! You do not get the pharmaceutical care you need/deserve/pay for at a wal-mart, or almost any other national chain.

One positive thought on Wal-Mart, if history really is any type of indicator, they will not stay in business forever.

That will bring problems of it's own, though. Especially with Wal-Mart suppliers. 25% of Del Monte products is sold at Wal-Mart! How scary for Del Monte.

9. ~piscean]-[delusions

~piscean]-[delusions Member

I haven't shopped there for awhile, and I try to encourage everyone I know to shop elsewhere too. One person can make a difference. I make one, and now some of my friends do as well.

10. chickenchoker

chickenchoker Member

Wallmart sucks!!!

cc

11. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

12. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk Member

Wal-Mart is the the beast from revelations. In my hometown (5000 people), the opening of the new super walmart has brought us the joy of losing a Kroger, A Winn Dixie, a host of ma and pa flower shops. It is alot making the magic mart close it's doors in 3 monthes, the K-Mart will soon follow. But you try to tell Curtis the fatass to pay 17 bucks for his Toby Keith cd at Kmart when he can get it for 14 at Walmart.

13. stickchick24

stickchick24 Member

This is so sickening. Our comfort and wealth is built on the repression of third world citizens. And just b/c they live in a 3rd world country doesn't mean they are 3rd class citizens, although to many, many, MANY people its the same thing. Just reading that article makes me want to turn Amish and make everything I use myself. So many people honestly don't give a shit about anyone but their own self. I get so upset at the level of apathy in my community.

Peace
    Kim

"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly. "
    Bertrand Russell

14. Shaman420

Shaman420 Herbalist

You really don't care about anyone else in society but yourself, do you? Your post sickens me. How could you support such a terrible corporation, I'm sure you think that since their a big business they deserve tax cuts too. Why so you can buy things a little cheaper. Those tax cuts affect the working class of this country. You obivously are just another "I-Don't-Care-ican" because if you really cared about what they do to their employees who you refer to as "uneducated or a criminal" (which makes you totally ignorant by the way) then you would spend a little more money and not support it. Is the best deal around worth another human being being treated terribly? How much do you really save? I'm a lot more pleased with myself when I spend my hard earned dollars on something that didn't come from an evil corporation who has no concern for other human beings.

15. element7

element7 Random fool

Just an observation: the little plastic sign racks in front of the magazines open from the top. The fonts and colors are easily reproduced. Sometimes strange things like "Crappy Magazines" or "You have no head" appear there. Any combination of strange and foreign words will do to headjack the normal consumer, if at least for a brief moment. Also, the shoe section has lots of open shoeboxes that are prime for tiny corporate look alike messages that detail some grisly facts or even something as simple as "these shoes will give you fungus". What little they lose to boycotts they probably make up, at least in part through gov subsidies (they are a grocery chain). They ain't going anywhere soon so I figure I might as well have some fun.

16. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

Walmart sucks. I was on a trip over the weekend and my friend that I was travelling with wanted to stop and sleep so we stopped at the walmart parking lot. I pissed on the side of the building. I have to admit that was fun.

17. Tisbutehname

Tisbutehname Member

i know this will sound a bit anarchist, but it isnt, it is just fun:

every time i set foot in Wal-Mart, i steal.
    be it candy bar or a copy of the weekly world news (insane tabloid check it out) i still steal. no reason, i wont make an excuse, "that they have enough money" or what ever, i steal, cause i feel like i would like to steal. Im not a thief, im not cheap, but i have a gut feeling so i steal. yesssss. give it a shot, twix was never better!

dont grab the redpaint.

18. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

I haven't set foot in walmart in a few months....a pretty impressive feat considering it's the only decent store left open in town.
    Have you ever tried living off food from the dollar store and a grocery store called Piggly Wiggly? I've been and it SUCKS. If walmart weren't against unions I would sooo shop there. It really is a pain in the ass not to.

19. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

20. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I detest wal-mart, and I go no where near any of those shit holes... :X