Dreadlock Forum: Knotty Know-How

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by DancerAnnie, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiquidSoul

LiquidSoul Member

Thanks a lot for the link! I've been looking all over for the dread forum to no avail...

2. Reedie

Reedie Member

I Only got my dreadies done the other day and i was wondering if all the stray hairs will join into the dreads? please email me

3. Zo6142

Zo6142 Member

Hello everyone

I'm fairly new to dreads, only had em for a month and a bit, since easter, and I don't know what to do with regards to a first wash. Normal shampoo not the thing? And how do i know when they're ready to wash? Please offer some tips if you can think of any. Thank you.

4. mmg

mmg fish out of water

I put dreads into my very curly hair when I was 17 and had to cut them. Now I'm doing them the natural way, no wax, no washing, just letting them tangle. I'm about 5 days in and my hair is a bird's nest. I'm going to give them another few weeks unwashed before I decide how they're coming, but as long as I keep them under a beenie they stay tangled.

I was wondering if anyone has ever put old dreads back in. I want to attach my old dreads(yes, i saved them, hahahah) to my new ones once they tighten up a bit. Anyone have any suggestions? Will my jew-curl hair turn into baby dreads in a few weeks?

5. Teckniec

Teckniec Guest

I was just wondering if I can still get a tape up with dread locks? I've started mine about 1 1/2 months ago. My friend said they will fall out if the barber cuts to far back but he doesn't know anything. When I had my fro I got a tape up every two weeks so I have all these baby hairs and it doesn't look pretty. I appreciate any advice

6. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

7. Geechee

Geechee Member

Not washing your hair is a common myth in dreadlocks. Washing your hair regularly stimulates hair growth. I'm black so I don't have the hair of a white person. So it was easier for me to grow them before i cut them off last May. If you don't wash them they will just start to stink and mildew and will grow very slowly.

8. Bravo8Dex

Bravo8Dex Guest

Hello all! Glad to see other locked citizens of the world!

I have 7 years total in my hair. Grew it out for four years, and have had the dreads themselves for 3..

It's a DREADful world we live in huh!

Don't see many redheads w/ dreads eh? Heh.
    I may be white but I consider myself a minority lol..

[​IMG]
    This pic isn't terribly current. Atleast 5-6 months ago.
    I washed mine after about 3 1/2 weeks after getting mine done.

If you have questions i'd be happy to share what I've done thus far.
    Oh and contrary to popular belief.. I have used wax quite a few times thru the process. The more mature they get, the less wax you will require. Atleast thats how it works for me. I wax probably less than one every 3 months..

9. ladawna

ladawna Member

Hello all. Glad I finally found a forum that looks like it has some activity! I have waist length naturally kinky hair. I quit going to beauty shops years ago because I got sick of all the comments like "what ethnicity are you", "do you condition, blowdry, perm, or otherwise abuse your hair". The last time was it, as she started combing it her exact words were "damn girl, your hair is frizzy!" I've wanted dreads for years but because of my location and age never did it. I had decided to cut it all off til my kid suggested I go ahead with the dreads, and if I don't like them then I can get that hair cut. My question, is a 38 year old uncool mom with dreads a joke?

10. ladawna

ladawna Member

Hi, me again. After posting above, I've decided I don't really care what others think. I've looked at hundreds of pics of dreads and envied them all. I actually think it's what my hair is begging for. Tonight after it's dry I'm gonna do the twist n rip method. We'll see how it goes!

11. Ganjitsu

Ganjitsu Guest

I'm interested in starting to grow dreads using the natural (or neglect) method. I've thought about washing with only water and have done some research on this topic in general, but wondered if it worked differently with dreads? The entire concept of water only washing is that it cleans the dirt, but also your scalp produces a natural oil called sebum, which you are supposed to work into the lengths of your hair. However, with dreads, I didn't know if it was possible to get the oil down into your hair and not cause a buildup of oil on the scalp. I'd prefer to do the water only method if possible, but I don't want my hair to look greasy or smell, so if it doesn't work properly with growing dreads, I will use a residue free shampoo instead.

Also I was wondering how you wash your hair when first starting out with this method? I mean, do you massage the scalp and sort of finger through your hair as you would wash normal hair, or do you mostly just let the water soak your hair? And how do you towel off your hair afterwards?

I understand that the natural or neglect method is supposed to be the easiest method... you just do nothing... But it can be a very long process and I just want to make certain I am not doing anything that is counter productive.

Also my hair is already shoulder length if not a bit more. Does length have any effect on how long the dreading process takes, or is it just unique to different hair types?

If anyone has experience with growing dreads by this method, and especially if using a water only washing, I would appreciate any and all comments or advice.

12. Jackillin

Jackillin Member

Hey guys,

I've been surfing a bit recently and it's been fine with the dreads but today I wiped out on the beach and got lots of sand stuck in my dreads - tried to rinse it out, but there is still a fair bit in there - any ideas?? should I try soaking the dreads in a bath, use some soap/conditioner, wait till it dries and use a soft brush to try to get most of it out? I'm not sure, any suggestions would be great!!

thanks,

Jacqueline.

13. lildreadymama

lildreadymama Member

well i rip/twisted mine and the washing process is still the same. I would suggest Dr.Bronners Soaps and an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse whenever you start to feel really gross shit on your scalp. the ACV will clean them up nicely.

14. InfinitelyOne

InfinitelyOne Member

Soo i just took out a bunch of hair wraps and behold the mold! My friend told me there was a good recipe for a dread cleanse involving baking soda and tea tree oil? any tips?
    much luv

15. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

Good luck, post some pics if you can, can't wait to see them :)

16. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

17. Bishiness

Bishiness Member

The thought of dreading my hair has been heavy on my mind for months now...

18. Cavale

Cavale Member

Somebody should lock this thread.

19. Lizmarie

Lizmarie Member

I am so excited June 8th 2009! I am going to start the dreading process :D I am soooo happy

20. addictedt0chaos

addictedt0chaos Lunar Dreadlocks

I don't think it should be locked. People here seem a lot kinder then the gang in the actual dready forum lol I say keep this open for discussion. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.