Did you know...useless facts/information

Discussion in 'Pure Bull' started by Bilby, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Roofing is obviously the most important and oldest trade.

2. golden_eel

golden_eel Members

thehipsterdufus said

The oldest and most socially unacceptable 'four letter word' in history is YHWH, the transliteration of the Hebrew word for God, Yahweh.

"
    A name of the Hebrew God, represented in Hebrew by the tetragrammaton ("four letters") יהוה (Yod Heh Vav Heh), which was transliterated into Roman script as Y H W H. Because it was considered blasphemous to utter the name of God, it was only written and never spoken, which resulted in the original pronunciation becoming lost."

I learned from a kabalist it is 4 Hebrew letters that represent the name of God not the actual name that was never to be spoken or written.
    If it were read it would be "Yod Heh Vav Heh" like "DMV" "FBI"

Yahweh is just adding vals

And another useless fact is:
    the maximum recorded bird flight duration is of Alpine Swift — 6 months

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

payday is NOT on friday, in many occupations. infrastructure jobs which are manned 24-7-365, do NOT typically require anyone to actually work 7-days. instead, each shift has i different pair of days off, so that a forth, 'relief' shift, can work five of those days, and a travelling relief job works the one shift that still leaves over. anyone who tells you any same person would have to work without days off for a service to be provided on an everyday bases is having you on. if different days and hours were worked equally, instead of people wanting to work the same hours and days, there would be no rush hours and no rush hour traffic.

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I have read technical manuals for electronic items before in a foreign language when I couldn't find the English section. Numbers are the same, so it was actually faster to just look for numbers, and look at their values, once I have a bit of context I can usually figure out what it means if it's something simple and sometimes it's faster than actually finding the English section.

Okay ... I admit I can only really do this when the data I'm looking for is relatively simple, like voltage/current values, or temperature, or similar simple parameters for something I mostly already know what to expect. I can sometimes parse very small amounts of meaningful information from non-numerical foreign text by sort of reverse engineering a sentence but only if I have some context, and there are at least one or a few words that either resemble their English counterparts in a way that is recognizable, or I know the meaning of one of the foreign words preferably both; only then can I come to a vague conclusion of WTF it probably means.

The word "feature" is interesting, I hear people use that word a lot to refer to the way a thing behaves, or more specifically the behavior acting as a cause for the results of it's "intended" use. I like to think of features being more along the lines of what behavior a thing is capable of or is possible; an actual description of what the thing is and can do rather than the intended result.. The same "feature" could be used to do something that rendered completely different results if one wished.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The Golden State Warriors of the NBA set the record for most consecutive wins to start off a season in the History of North American Professional Sports today at 21. With their victory, they surpassed the 1884 St. Louis Maroons who played in a now defunct baseball league.

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

On the old TV Show Get Smart 99's real name is Susan Hilton

Hotwater

7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Linonophobia is the fear of string.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Linoleuphobia is the fear of linoleum....

Okay. I made that up.

I think.

1 person likes this.
  9. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I always thought 99 was incredibly sexy.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Hotwater

11. NudistDude

NudistDude Members

Dragan flies can bot walk, their legs are only used for standing.

12. NudistDude

NudistDude Members

Dragan flies can bot walk, their legs are only used for standing.

13. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I can sneeze and fart at the same time.

14. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

Red Forman's full name on "That 70's Show" is Reginald Albert Forman.

15. morrow

morrow Visitor

A peanut is not a nut

16. Bymyowndevices

Bymyowndevices Members

The expression 'to get fired' comes from long ago Clans that wanted to get rid of unwanted people, so they would burn their houses instead of killing them, creating the term 'Got fired'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.