Testicular examination

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by Mui, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Mui

Mui Senior Member

how can one test themselves for nut cancer?

2. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

I suppose feel them for lumps....Go to the doctor.... .. My friend just went and had a whole bunch of test done and he had them check for testicular cancer ... They give you a blood pregnancy test... If cancer is present it will show up like your pregnant :)

3. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Testicular cancer most commonly occurs in men ages 15 to 34 and is one of the most common tumors seen in men under 40. If detected and treated in its early stages, testicular cancer is nearly 100% curable. But too often the cancerous lumps are not discovered until the tumor is in an advanced stage. A monthly testicular self-exam can help detect lumps early in their most treatable stages.

The cause of testicular cancer is unknown, but it most often occurs in the testes’ sperm-producing cells. Early symptoms include swelling or pain in the testicle and sometimes pain or discomfort.

High Risk Alert

Are you a white male between the ages of 15 and 40? White men have four times the risk of blacks of developing testicular cancer.
    Do you have undescended or late-descended testes? Men whose testicles are undescended or descended late are at higher risk.
    Do you have a family history of testicular cancer?
    Have you ever been diagnosed with inguinal hernia? Doctors have found a positive correlation between hernia and testicular cancer at an early age, but the link is still under study.
    If you answered "yes" to any or all of these questions, you are at increased risk for developing testicular cancer. Pay special attention to testicular self-examination.

How to Do a Testicular Self-Examination

Any male 15 or older should practice monthly testicular self-exam. The test takes only a few ntinutes and is easy to do. Most lumps are not cancer, but any lump should be immediately checked by a physician.

The best time to check yourself the shower or after a warm bath. Fingers glide over soapy skin making it easier to concentrate on the texture underneath. The heat causes the skin to relax making the exam easier.

Support the testicles in one hand and feel each with the other hand.
    Gently roll each testicle between the thumb and the fingers. You'll feel a smooth, tubular structure (epididymis) that covers the front. back. and bottom of each testicle. Gently separate this tube from the testicle with your finger to examine the testicle itself.
    Feel for any swelling or lumps.
    If you detect swelling or lumps, see a physician without delay.

Source : http://www.menweb.org/testican.htm

Jesse49 and Hykes like this.
  4. Heat

Mui

I posted how to do it technically, but obviously I have never done so. It does seem to be a fairly easy step by step.

Hopefully some men who have performed a self examination will also post, as with all, there might be some pointers that make it easier.

Excellent question. Thank you for posting it.

5. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

like the article said, i find it best to check while in the shower, i also find it more conveniant to do so while in the shower. i usually check twice a month - mid month and end of month, so i just recently check (all clear). when i was informed about testicular cancer and told that i should check once a month, i wasn't sure on how to properly check. you could follow directions and what not, but if your not sure what your doing, it might be more difficult to check.

so what i did was i asked my doctor, because i wasn't really sure on how to do it properly, even after reading articles on it, i asked my doctor to guide me while i checked and he helped learn to what i was looking for. its probably the best question i ever asked my doctor because now i know if i have a suspicous bump i can make an appointment and get checked out.

6. FeelinGroovy

FeelinGroovy opposable thumb

I knew three friends in highschool who found tumors and had surgery. This was right after we were taught how to do self exams in health class. I'm pretty sure two of them were either benign or relatively harmless. The one, for some reason didn't do anything until his testicles were hugely enlarged (softball sized?). It turned out he had cancer throughout his body also. He went through a lot of medical treatment and to my knowledge cam out ok in the end.

7. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

To the GUYS: This is a good idea to check. You can ALWAYS ask your doctor, or if you're still in school, talk to your Coach about it. He may have some info.

8. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

What if you dont have health insurance? I really want to make sure I check right...

9. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

do you have a community health center around? the one around my neighborhood would most likely help out.

or maybe you can go up to the hospital and explain that you want to know how to check for testicular cancer, but don't have insurance.

do you have any close guy friends that maybe could help?

those are just some ideas...i dunno though.

10. Heat

11. Casperthesheet

Casperthesheet Member

That was a good site to check out.

Just a personal story. Just before Christmas time I found a lump on one of my testicles. It wasn't cool at all and I waited until last month to go have it checked out. Lucky for me the doctor said it was just a cyst but it could have been worse. So any guy reading this...please go get check out if you find anything. Don't be like me and wait because it could be very serious!

Casper

12. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

Thanks for all the great ideas!

13. Shithead

Shithead Member

I give myself a scotum examination every night for about 10 minutes before I jerk-off.

2 people like this.
  14. The Wind Cries Paul

The Wind Cries Paul Member

Yeah, um i found a lump a while ago, i finally had the balls to tell my dad yesterday. I'm scarred.

15. Skidrow Eddie

Skidrow Eddie Member

For several months I thought I had grown a third testicle now I'm unsure because whenever I squeeze the third ball within my scrotum it makes a strange squeaking sound and a bit of brownish/yellow fluid drips from the end of my uncircumsized schlum.

Who knows? Hell I figure I've been living on borrowed time since 1973 anyhow.

16. Heat

I was really tempted to remove a few little quips on this thread as this is a valid and serious thread and some responses were nothing but a flip and lark on what should not be joked about. Cancer is not funny and knows no gender.....it just is.

I will leave all responses as perhaps that is really the best idea. To those who think it is a lark, well I with all due respect hope that you still perform the self examination and that your results are not positive and that you continue to enjoy good health.

Testicular cancer is not a joke nor is checking and self examination, nor is taking the incentive to ask or to post support or that you have done it and found a mass that needs to be checked.

To those who have found a mass or have been worried enough to seek further investigation by medical professionals, Kudos. I shall hope for good results for you and this forum is available to you if you should need it.

17. Keepin'on

Keepin'on Member

If guys are supposed to be strong,then part of being strong is to able to face your fears.Get yourselves checked,don't wimp out on yourself.

A guy I knew in school died from testicular cancer.You can function fine with just one nut.

18. The Wind Cries Paul

The Wind Cries Paul Member

Heat, just to let you know, my post was serious, im going to the doctor tomorow, and i am truely scared. And about the balls to tell my dad coment, i didnt mean it as a joke. Maybe i should of used different words, but seriously it was reeeaaally hard for me to tell my dad. I felt so embarassed when i did. I didnt know if i was one of the posts you were talking about but just in case i shall reply with this.

19. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

FWIW testicular cancer feels irregularly shaped. Round lumps are usually cysts.

Worst case scenario is they open you up and take out the testicle in question and some lymph nodes. So go check it out.

Jaman8791 likes this.
  20. Heat

I knew your post was serious and I am hoping for a positive result for you. Your post was not ever one that I doubted.

The fear when we find something that we are not sure should be there is a place that is scary and one that we never wish to do more than once.

This is a serious issue and I am so very relieved that you are going to have this investigated and resolved.

I can understand the fear and the how do I approach an adult about it.... When I was about 12 I found a mass in my left breast and had to go to my Mom.....was really hard as I was shy and did not want to do body parts. Turned out fine but I do remember.

I am wishing for you the very best and my thoughts will be with you.

Please let us know how you make out and if you need personal support PM one of us on this forum and I know we will try to help you if we can.

Take care of you and get this checked.

Love and light
    Heat