Meditation and marijuana?!

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by Psychedelic Moss, May 30, 2005.

1. The manticore

The manticore Member

rastas meditated with weed so it must be the way foward bit each to their own
    peace

2. Puffis

Puffis Member

Yes meditation is one of the things the herb is meant for. It clears your mind, relaxes you, increases your awareness, and puts you into a heightened consciousness. Thankyou JAH for ganja

3. the_most_sadistic

the_most_sadistic Member

i find it really hard to meditate while high because i focus on the outside world to much. i find it hard to let myself fall into that state of mind you should be in while meditating. i like isolation tanks for meditation

4. floydianslip6

floydianslip6 Senior Member

I first have to say I only glimpsed through this thread, sorry if this has been said.

I think meditating with it would be fine and a cool experience. But I'd caution that you don't confuse the benefits of meditation with the benefits of the smoking you know? Marijuana can be a fine tool, but don't let it "consume" meditation, you know?

5. cephadelic

cephadelic Member

6. MIZZCHEWY

MIZZCHEWY Member

weed= good and good for meditation

7. Helly420

Helly420 Member

Meditation and weed = yeah....:) I don't know real from not real. Isn't it just the experience and what it does to us that counts.

I got a lot from this book: 'Cannabis and Meditation - An explorers guide'. www.headstuffbooks.com

Helly

8. doggyman

doggyman Guest

I think it depends on the person, but when I tried to meditate, the first time it left me in a fog for weeks, so didn't want to do That again. 6mo later I saw a book on meditating written by a catholic priest who spenf 10yrs in a Buddhist monistary. he said, If you tried to meditate and couldn't get into it, smoking pot would show you what it feels like. I had an experience yrs before where I didn't want to smoke as often as friends did because I always felt too mellow to do what I wanted for a few days after. I liked getting high when I was straight, to feel the difference. Not to feel punchy all the time. I decided I would not smoke or refuse it if offered till I wanted to. A friend asked me to drive him someplace, and he lit up. With me driving and us talking, and still a little mellow from the last time I forgot my decision, and took a few hits. When I dropped him off I remembered what I had decide and got pissed, because it would be a few days for me to completely come down. Getting pissed I brought myself down, and wondered why I had been so irritated. I relaxed and floated again. I did this about 3X, and realizing I brought myself down, I thought, if I could do that, I could bring myself up without smoking. Just had to think or act like I had smoked. Whn with friends who did, I didn't need to and didn't. It mad some paranoid, so i just told them I had smoked before going out, and was fine, and to just blow some smoke my way. That made them happy.

With smoking and meditating, I felt high for the Longest time, and Maybe still am, but maybe my other experience or my lesser need made me able to reach or stay in a mellow state. I haven't smoked or meditated since then. I do get irritated at things some times, but can usually get over it fast. I had an injury that damaged everything including my brain, and on a medical BB I frequent, the Dr who runs it recommends meditating 2X/day for 20 min to relieve the stress that living causes, to prevent muscle tension that affects the body. I have tried to meditate but my brain injury makes it really uncomfortable, and think I know how to avoid or drain stress.

9. humboldt-dm

humboldt-dm Guest

Free audio meditation

Ive tried many audio meditation enhancement techniques and have combined several into these powerful meditations. With subtle stereo theta wave inducing Binaural Beats and set to base Solfeggio Frequencies , along with digital stereo live nature recordings and rich deep synthesized tracks - and enhanced with digital sound loops and effects. I hope you enjoy these as much as i do - i use these meditations daily and find them a wonderful way to encourage the mind to relax and the spirit to find peace.

http://codedimensions.com/satorisnd - Listen for free - Enjoy

10. rygoody

rygoody Senior Member

the word meditation means alot of different things these days

in the ancient sense, you meditated for samadhi, for union with god

nowadays people use this word to mean introspection about self, to figure out the answer to some question, to study the nature of the mind

Which depending on what your using meditation, weed might hinder you.

But if your using meditation for the it's ancient intention, that of attaining samadhi and communion with god. Then weed will only help.

A truth that never gets told very much is that, hash and yogis were like peas and a pod. The system of yoga for the purpose of samadhi and communion with god was written and devised by hash eaters.

And I think this becomes very obvious. You can spend 2 months doing a meditation with minimal results. But get fucking high as shit before hand and do it, and the meditation technique seems to work instantly, better than you could have hoped.

I have had some radically intense experiences with just marijuana and meditation. Comparable to a lower dosage of LSD.

The thing is. Marijuana in higher dosages makes your heart beat fast. Your heart beating fast will hinder you. So what you have to do is smoke just enough so that your heart doesn't beat fast. Or you have to learn to control your hearbeat. The latter being ideal because then you can get really far out there, just get baked out of your mind, then maintain focus and calm in your body and you get quite far. But it takes time to learn to control your heartbeat.

11. bradytanner

bradytanner Member

It probably depends on what you want.

I mean, if your trying to go into a trance, then I'm sure marijuana is great. It is for me at least when I just want to zone out inside of my own mind.

but LSD and meditating?
    Never tried it.

12. utzxubiru

utzxubiru Member

i heard in a video that to meditate you reduce your brainwaves to theta levels, but when you smoke cannabis your theta brainwaves are not estimulated at all is this correct?
    i do find cannabis or any use of any drug relaxing in a way, in other i find it mentally exhausting maybe i smoke too much, psychedelics may be good for experience some altered states but i think to meditate while on something like lsd, one has to be more advanced in meditation first, note that i dont consider myself a meditationer more like a counscioussness scavenger...check?

13. aydinerro

aydinerro Member

I'm not into using any type of drugs during meditation. It's nice but kinda pointless...sort of like getting really high when you're already sleepy just to pass out.

but ultimately, I think it's up to you whether the effects are "bad" or "good". If you do it, let us know how it is.

14. Royaltramp

Royaltramp Member

My personal view on drugs is that natural drugs are extrospective, allowing you to learn more about the world and gain harmony with the world around you and other people. If this is your intention when you meditate then Marijuana or other natural psychoactive plants could be highly beneficial.

Man-made chemical drugs on the other hand, such as Ketamine, tend to be more introspective and so if you are meditating for the purpose of discovering your true self you may find these beneficial.

It really depends on you as a person though, some people work well with drugs, others do not. :)

-Matt

15. JesusChristPose

JesusChristPose Member

marijuana works with you know matter what you do. and btw it does go away no matter who you are. which is why its cool. cause if you trip out who cares be by yourself and wait for the high to end. like i said if you want it to brg you down....believe me it will. i only say this because of people that dont want to hear about why its so cool to begin with. even if your mentally ill...whos to say that you wouldnt like it being brought to your attention. heh thats all it really does is heightens your awareness. the rest is very personal and is totally and 110% up to the user

but as far as meditation with it goes i wouldnt say why not, nor why do, but rather...what if? marijuana has done nothing but helped me appreciate everything that happens.

16. ~*hempy ∞ empires*~

~*hempy ∞ empires*~ Member

my own meditation has been greatly improved via cannabis consumption... in fact the only times I have had a real awareness of my chakras and an opening of my pineal have been when I was blazed lol :) the first time especially it was just like instant when I started meditating it just worked lol :)

17. famewalk

famewalk Banned

The American Empire, i.e. God for all religions, commands: "Get a Job, Now."

And You are the Crazy Cat child of that American Empire. My duty is to be responsible for the Osama Bin Laden War.

18. godhaunt

godhaunt Banned

The End is Near.

19. Sweetleaf63

Sweetleaf63 Senior Member

I've always had trouble meditating while high.
    Something i've been struggling for a long time:/
    I don't think its bad you just have be wanting something meaningful,
    like mediating.
    Smoking just for the high i find very meaningless,and i believe i does
    affect your level of awareness.

20. godhaunt

godhaunt Banned

But perhaps meditating for therapy afterwords is understanding the supersensible reasoned about. Much like balancing the moral of being against artificial stimulation in favor of light over matter.

Throw the lecture to the WOlves. Rejoice for the Lambs.