Meditation and marijuana?!

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by Psychedelic Moss, May 30, 2005.

1. JesusChristPose

JesusChristPose Member

how do you meditate?

2. JesusChristPose

JesusChristPose Member

the clouds in my mind when i smoke weed is like a metaphor for something. i say become the clouds.

3. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

There have been many great insights discovered while people were high. All depends on how you think about it. Some have said that some thoughts are so vast that you need to be high order to realize them.

4. The manticore

The manticore Member

yeah being high helps you meditate

5. gr0g

gr0g Member

From Conversations With David at: http://truthseek.info/portal.php?view_type=&category_id=53&category_level=2&page=2&action=view_article&item_id=299

"Now that you've brought up the subject of smoking habits, I am wondering if you'd comment more on that. A part of myself enjoys smoking marijuana, and another part of myself feels very opposed. I am constantly waging little internal battles with myself about smoking marijuana. Is it wrong?"
    "Many aeons ago, we made a drink from dates. I believe you would call it an alcohol. We had other names for it. It was a terrible thing to taste, and yet we drank it, for it gave us a pleasure. All things have their own level. It is not that any one thing in this universe is so totally out of balance. That is a thing which is natural in itself, but when that thing is utilized in excess or becomes the master or dominant force, then it is a tool of darkness. It is natural that a man must beware of all things which bring him balance and comfort and joy and pleasure, only in so much as he does not allow them to become his god. Look to your total being. If you provide the body with dietary balance, exercise, spiritual time for growth and meditation, then we find no imbalance if amongst your other responsibilities, you take time for a peculiar form of relaxation."

"Will you also comment on the use of marijuana and meditation? Does smoking pot cause one to meditate poorly, or does one perhaps open doors of consciousness that way?"

"One opens only doors on the second plane. Doors do indeed open, but they are illusion, for any fetter of the earth or chain of the earth level cannot rise with you. As you would truly rise into the higher plane, if you would, to coin the pun, 'come fly with us', you would not be able to have with you any vibration of that type. Do you comprehend?"

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Better quit eating then, and come to that, using language, as these too are 'fetters of the earth'.
    This is disingeneous BS.

7. gr0g

gr0g Member

Well, you probably shouldn't be eating or using language of any sort while meditating, unless it's abstract mantra's like OM. The point that the being "David" is trying to make is if you are trying to reach higher spiritual realms through meditation, don't smoke ganja 'cos it will tie you to earthly thoughts and feelings.

If you don't believe in higher spiritual realms and/or archangels, and meditate because it seems to have some positive physiological effect, then smoke all the weed you like while meditating.

8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

That doesn't actually answer my point, as food and even air will also tie you to 'earthly thoughts and feelings'.

Anyway, I'd argue that cannabis can, in some people, lead to some experience of the 'higher' realms.

9. splices0

splices0 Member

Personally, do research. Virtually all greatness has been found under the influence of some sort of "mystical" drug. Even if back then it was called "alchemy" or "mushrooms". For those of you who feel that drugs keep you earth bound, guess what - THEY DONT. I'm telling you from personal experience.

Take yourself out of the box for a moment, what...really..is a drug? Chemical compositions or alkaloids that have various effects on your body dependent on your chemistry? If a drug is considered a drug because of a various peculiar effect it has on your body, then if you were allergic to nuts - would that make a nut a drug? What if you ate...cholocolate, a stimulant, prior to your meditational period - would that make you a drug user who meditates ?

In the world we live today, you really have to think out side the box into the bigger picture. I LOVE LSD. I'll trip for 4-5 days straight on it, doubling doses, and staring at the stars - lost in my own little world, exploring things people never thought possible. My ONLY regret is that I didn't write down some of the most sacred things I learned.

In terms of weed, I never really liked it. However, before I sit down to meditate, if I take a couple nice hits - the closed eye visuals are great. I can even control them with my eye movement while they are closed. It's so cool because I could be going through a forest with my eyes closed but then change my eye direction and and navigate a different way in my visuals.

Yeah, flame me, don't care - drugs + meditate = where its at. Lose the snobby, uptight, im better than you, drugs are bad hype. Drugs saved my life. Believe me.

10. Thel

Thel Member

One of the goals of meditation is to train your mind to stop going so fast - without the use of drugs. What happens when you can't smoke but you need to slow down and RELAX? Well, as long as you are here, you have your breath. And that is meditation's tool - the breath of life - of connection to everything.

Splices0, LSD is fun. It is an indescribable experience that leads you to new dimensions, new realities and the doors to your wildest dreams.
    But, the point of meditation is not to receive some wild visualization. The effects of meditation are real and lasting.
    Unlike drugs, which only leave you wanting more.
    Meditation is NOT about catching a glimpse of divinity. It is about receiving, knowing and becoming ONE.
    Peace!

11. Fallout55

Fallout55 Banned

On that note my thoughts never stop racing on pot.

12. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i don't like the attitude that spiritual experiences on drugs are an illusory reflection of genuine spiritual experiences.

this whole goddamn trip that is life, in all the billions and billions of forms, and all existence itself, is NOTHING BUT a spiritual experience. doesn't it seem kind of full of shit to pretend any realization is more or less real than another? unless the full picture is so in your face that it becomes like air and you barely even percieve it's presence.

i guess you can measure it in terms of how well you integrate the experience you have into your everyday reality, and how much it actually helps you out in the areas where before you would've broke down or whatever you're trying to avoid would've happened. but still, if you think of it that way, there's no way to even pretend drugs don't change you as much as "real" meditation.

like splices0 said, if you trace history back, the most magical and spiritual and beautiful things go back to drug use.

OH MY GOD I AM SO REDUNDANT.

13. prismatism

prismatism loves you

oh yeah and smoking pot makes meditation a lot easier for me, but not if i smoke too much :D.

14. prismatism

prismatism loves you

OH AND ALSO

meditate means:
    To think or reflect, especially in a calm and deliberate manner.
    To think deeply
    To engage in thought or contemplation; reflect
    To consider as something to be done or effected; intend; purpose
    Think intently and at length, as for spiritual purposes; "He is meditating in his study"
    To train, calm, or empty the mind, often by achieving an altered state, as by focusing on a single object.

no definition i can find says "to sit cross legged and sober and breathe a certain way". :)

15. Duende

Duende Banned

marijuana is air, express yourself with the beauty that you an god create
    and you can do water fire
    love
    Duende

16. MelT

MelT Member

I agree in part with both sides here. It depends on so many factors governing whether it's of any value in a strict meditational context and whether or not it will help you reach enlightenment. But as something purely to explore and experience, there's little like it. I see nothing worng with combining the two as long as the limitations are taken into account.

I've been exploring both, separately and together for about 25 years and I've just released a book on using cannabis and meditation. A lot of us here seem to use it very much in the same way, so I hope you don't mind if I mention it here.

The site for the book is literally not much more than a shopping system at present (though growing by the day), so I'd prefer to point you towards my myspace site for the time being if you want to know more, I don't want to bang on about it too much here or it'll just sound like a big advert. Go to www.myspace.com/marijuanameditation, and if you don't mind, read the first, very short, blog.

I've just put together a PDF of the front cover, contents page, the introduction, and a short later chapter. The book's early chapters deal with lowering tolerance, avoiding dope anxiety and Green Outs, all that kind of thing; but most of the later book is about how to begin exploring consciousness using meditational techniques. If anyone would like me to send them the file, just let me have an email address by PM and I'll send it out to you. You will NOT be spammed.

MelT

Edit - I just got a mail asking if it's a real book:) Yes, ISBN number, full listing, on Amazon.co.uk (though we've been at them for months to change the details because they're inaccurate in terms of price), already sellingm and shortly to be reviewed by the weed magazines, already a couple of comments on my space. Not sure how I can actually prove that it's real, but it is:)

17. Duende

Duende Banned

mooooooooooooooooon

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

and there are many very valuable artifacts in the water

=^^=
    .../\...

19. misterrain

misterrain Banned

As a rule, drugs will always distort more than they clarify.

20. mati

mati Member

what criteria is used when determining the distorted and the clear? and by whom shall this criteria be determined?