homeschooling in 2 states?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by kitty fabulous, May 25, 2005.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

my husband and i are getting a peaceful, friendly divorce. (in this we are very lucky.) i'm soon going to be relocating to woodstock, ny, and eventually suresh will be moving to the new jersey/NYC area, because there is a steady flow of traffic between woodstock & new york, so it will be really easy for both of us to be in environments we love and still share custody of the kids.

we have a rather informal schedule, but the kids will be spending part of the time with me and part of the time in NJ with their dad. suresh wants to continue to be active with their education, especially since he is strong in my weaker subjects & vice versa, and plans on teaching them spanish, math, and some history & science subjects. this is an arrangement that will work out really well for all of us, except for the paperwork issue.

we'll *both* have legal custody of the kids. that's the way all of us (including the kids) want it. so how do we file? to we file in both states, or just one, and if the latter, which state? do we have to me the regs for both states, or just one? if the latter, can we get away with picking the state with the more flexible/lenient regs? i don't know the regulations for NJ yet, but new york has notoriously nasty homeschool laws, and requires standardized testing *at least* every other year after grade 4.

has anyone else ever faced this problem? i tried asking the school district people here, and they are unsure. we've still got a little time, but how do i find out what we'll need to do?

2. HADLEYCHICK

HADLEYCHICK Member

Hmmm, I'll do some checking-
    Had

3. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

I don't have experience in this, but I would think it would make sense to register (if you have to) in which ever state has the least regulations.
    Learning can take place anywhere. You can be registered in NY and then your kids could go on a "field trip" to New Jersey to learn Spanish, math, etc. Haha....
    I'm pretty lucky because the state I'm in (Illinois) doesn't have really any regulations. You don't even have to register with anyone!

But....I'd check out REAL laws (not my made up ones!) at www.hslda.org
    Also, you can check with homeschooling support groups in the area. They would probably have some good advice.

I've heard that public schools are VERY reluctant at helping homeschoolers, so that's probably not going to get you anywhere.

Good luck. I hope you find some good answers!

4. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

I just looked up New Jersey's regs. They are VERY unregulated so if you get to pick a state.....pick New Jersey!!!!

5. HADLEYCHICK

HADLEYCHICK Member

I made some phone calls to HSLD and NHERI (National Home Education Research Institute, and asked them your question, they work directly with legislators and might be able to give us a definitive answer on this issue.

(Pardon my inner reporter, I am a journalist. It is now an ireversible part of my oersonality. I was brainwashed into being the nosiest person in the world HAHAHAHAHAHA (Had laughs an evil laugh)

I'm waiting for an answer,
    Had

6. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

thank you so much! everything's been so crazy with the moving plans & everything that i haven't had the time to look into it too deeply yet.

7. HADLEYCHICK

HADLEYCHICK Member

National homeschooling org said start schooling in the state the child is living in at the start of the year. Also try and spend a bulk of the academic year in New Jersey. Also have both parents sign a form that says they intend to home educate your child. Have the form notarized.
    Had