Stopping Time

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Nathan11, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A few friends of mine and I were in class one day talking about stopping time. If it was possible to stop everything, time, but yourself, the only thing you could see would be the exact thing you are looking at the very moment time was stopped. No other directions or anything. We based this on the fact that seeing objects is just recieving the light bouncing off of the objects. So, if you looked away from where you were 'frozen', it would completely black? Or, could you actually see rays of light frozen in the air? Just a few comments.

Tell me what you think. It's a bit sloppy, I know. Sorry.

Dude111 likes this.
  2. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Actualy, you could see nothing. Once time stopped (outside your body) photons would stop entering your eyes. There would be no photons entering your eyes so you would see nothing, no matter what direction you looked.

3. Nathan11

Good point, but at the time that time stopped, wouldn't there be thoes photons entering your eyes? You would be able to see that one direction only. It would like a photograph, right?

4. TomDijon

TomDijon Member

whoa that's fucked, well after thinking about it methinks that you'd be able to see the very last image, then maybe walking around you'd walk into the photons which would go into your eyes... but really, if everything was frozen but you wouldn't that mean youd be stuck where you were, cause you couldn't move even air out of your way

Alonso376 likes this.
  5. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

woow thats a pickle..

well ok assuming that everything including time and photons magically froze, who's to say what you can't see? maybe one day we will know! it's crazy to think that time will never stop, no matter how many planets are born and die, because time does not exist

6. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Let's dwell on how you would stop time rather than what you would see: how could you do it? Well, you could slow it down by aproaching the speed of light. Well, that wouldn't be stopping time, but say you found a way to seperate the distance between one second, no, one millisecond and the other. Say you put a space inside of those two periods of time, how would you keep that space open? How would you even find the space?

7. Nathan11

well, i have no idea how you could stop time...but TomDijon, i think that if time was stopped, since you aren't, i think you could actually move items without disturbing the paused time, but it would effect the future...meaning, you could move...and then, that was a good point about walking into photons...i hadn't thought about that

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

No no its quite interesting!

I dont know if it would be possible..... It would be neat if you could say FREEZE and everything around you stopped..... (Like in the movie CLOCKSTOPPERS)

9. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

10. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Our greatest source of light is the Sun of which is 8 minutes and 20 seconds away and that means you may see nothing after 8 minutes and 20 seconds at which point you will freeze to death too.

11. anthonystark

anthonystark Newbie

i think it is not possible

12. anthonystark

anthonystark Newbie

Time travel is the concept of movement between certain points in time, analogous to movement between different points in space by an object or a person, typically with the use of a hypothetical device known as a time machine. Time travel is a widely recognized concept in philosophy and fiction, particularly science fiction. The idea of a time machine was popularized by H. G. Wells's 1895 novel The Time Machine.[1]

It is uncertain if time travel to the past is physically possible. Forward time travel, outside the usual sense of the perception of time, is an extensively observed phenomenon and well-understood within the framework of special relativity and general relativity. However, making one body advance or delay more than a few milliseconds compared to another body is not feasible with current technology. As for backward time travel, it is possible to find solutions in general relativity that allow for it, such as a rotating black hole. Traveling to an arbitrary point in spacetime has very limited support in theoretical physics, and is usually connected only with quantum mechanics or wormholes.

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

It's about TIME this old question got the right answer.

The answer is no, you will not continue to see the "frozen" light particles. And I'll tell you why, because E=MC^2. Particles are not just particles, actually they are not particles at all. Particles are what we should be calling the center points of electromagnetic wave fields (if scientists were really intellectually honest). All particles are MOVING MAGNETS. MOVING being ENERGY and TIME. MAGNET being a directional shift in spatial POLARITY. Movement, time and energy can not exist without each other; no time = no movement = no energy. If a particle has no movement then it can not exist. If an atom has no moving particles in it, it does not exist.

The energy within a photon is a function of its light speed. One photon hits the retina of your eye and is absorbed and detected as an energy pulse. It is destroyed as soon as it is observed. If you remove time, you remove all the energy and movement in the universe. You would be submerged in pitch black void of absolute zero nothingness. You'd be frozen sold before you realized that you couldn't breath. But if you were also somehow immortal to absolute zero and didn't need to breath, you would still see nothing. Unless you could move around at near light speeds, through the frozen magnetic fields, they would be completely undetectable to your retinas at 5-10kph human motion speeds.

14. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Maybe this is going in the wrong/unintended direction, but what if one's body existed in time apart from the rest of physical reality...no, no no. How about if one stopped in time while the rest of physical reality kept on progressing in time? Would that "dead" point of the person stopped in time effect anything else in the universe?