getting away...with kids, no car

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by kitty fabulous, Jun 7, 2004.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i really need to get away & spend some time in nature. i don't think i'm ready for backpacking yet; i think i need a little more experience being self-reliant and i still lack some of the proper equipment. but i definately feel a need to get out and camp, spend some time by myself.

well, almost by myself. my son is 6 1/2, i might be able to have him stay with the grandparents as long as he didn't know where i was going, but my 2-year-old daughter is still nursing, so i'll have to take her with me.

those of you who do a lot of travelling - what's the best way of getting around without a car if you've got a toddler? i don't have a driver's lisence - i live right in the city, so i haven't needed one. i'm not sure i feel safe hitching. but i do feel the need to get away, and to test myself, so to speak. not a big challenge, but i think i need to show myself i trust myself & can manage on my own.

can anyone give me some practical advice for travelling/camping with children, especially for the carless? (worst case senario, i do have driving friends who can drop me off/pick me up if absolutely necessary.)

edited to add that i do have experience camping, even with the kids, it's just been awhile, and i've had friends with me before.

2. Smojke

Smojke Member

Well if you are taking a child along, why not another friend, this way they may be able to help watch the little one and you can still find a little time alone. And if he is a good friend, maybe time alone isn't what you need. There is nothing worse than seeing something you want to share and no-one there to share it with.
    Dave

3. kitty fabulous

thanks for the thought, but unfortunately the reason why i want to get away is because i've just been rejected by someone i cared about - because i have kids. if i could, i'd leave my daughter with the same sitter - but she's still nursing, so i kind of have to bring her with me. i know i'm not going to have anyone to share it with. but i really need this time to myself, to sort things out for a night or two.

4. Smojke

Smojke Member

Sorry to hear about your pain, good luck.
    Dave

5. kitty fabulous

ok, let's try this again. i'm not looking for sympathy or relationship advice. i've done way too much whining about that on other boards.

i want to get away for a weekend or so, and will be taking my toddler with me. does anybody have any tips for travelling with kids? is it possible to hike at all with a little one? probably not, i'd guess. what about camping? if anyone here's done any amount of travelling with children, please share your experiences.

thanks so much, everyone.

6. SummerNymphO

SummerNymphO Member

Hiya! I do alot of camping, however, my daughter is old nuff to hike with me. I recently lost my car and now if I want to go to my usual fav spot, well, gonna have to find a ride. But, I did find a place w/in walking distance that will do, which has a pond as well. It is my sanity, for in the raw elements is where I do my best "pondering" & am myself. Everything else in the world can fall apart, but in the woods, I find solitude & peace.
    Onto your delima.....
    For one, if a man doesn't want to be with you because you have children, hell, kick his kurby butt to the curb and move on! Ya don't need him & neither does your child! And yes, time with your little one in the raw elements sounds like just the ticket, and certainly, take a close "friend" who knows what you're going through! Other than helping with ya toddler, makes for a sounding board....I do that alot...have one friend that goes with me....doesn't say much...just listens to my babbling. I leave feeling so renewed!
    It is possible to take a toddler camping....just go prepared. Take a wagon.lol Then you won't get stuck carrying the toddler & when he/she needs a nap, there ya go.....
    Where there is a will there is a way! It would be a good way to continue bonding with your little one as well, and teach him/her about nature. I will be keeping an eye on ya to see how ya are fairing!
    Hugs, Sunshine & Smiles! :sunglasse

7. GREENIE

GREENIE Member

I do a lot of camping but have no kids tho but summer is right take a good friend with you to watch the kid's you go take a walk and get your head right again soo you like travle I think it time to get your DL and start travle again I did a lot of traving not don yet I start out with a old car and a camper then move up to a truck with a side in camper to me that the only way to go a nice van make in to a camper van is kool now I got a 36foot 5 th wheeler I call home