dxm and wellbutrin

Discussion in 'Other Drugs' started by Day Dreamer, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

that's from http://www.dextroverse.org/faq/dxm_quickfaq.html#toc.3

I take Wellbutrin, an anti-depressant. I already know that being a depressed person can lead to bad trips on Psychedelic drugs, that's not my concern. I was wondering, would taking dxm while I'm on Wellbutrin lead to any damage, such as serotonin syndrome? I've done dxm once before, only enough for a 1st leve trip, while on Wellbutrin, and didn't have any negative effects.

Any answers would be appreciated.

2. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

well, is your medication an maoi or a seratonin reuptake inhibitor or waht? ive never heard of wellbutrin and i can imagine a lot of other people havnt too

3. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

well, I know it's not an MAOI, but I don't know about serotonin inhibitor...

4. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

what does it say on the packet?

5. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

This is most of the information on the package that seems at all important. BTW, it's a 300mg pill.:

So basically, it's all bupropion hydrochloride, whatever that is...

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

haha well i looked it up and the medication you are taking is still experimental, they dont know how it works.

to be safe, dont mix. the result of the mix would be unknown. the only way to know would be to try. so its a gamble.

since some of the sideaffects are the same as dxm (discomfort, itch, dry mouth, nausea/dizzyness) it would be best ot work up on doses slowly if your keen.

but its not an MAOI, and while it inhibits serotonin uptake to a certain extent, it is not very much.

personally i would not give my child the medication you are on.

but yeh it doesnt seem obviosuly a bad combination. but in higher doses this could be another issue.

why not try it, but do it somehwere relatively close to a hospital and with a tripsitter.

7. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

can i ask waht condition would lead you to being prescribed this unusual drug?

8. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Wellbutrin is not experimental, and is not an unusual drug. The package insert probably says something along the lines of "the exact mechanism of bupropion hydrochloride is unknown". Almost every drug says that.

Wellbutrin increases levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine. While we may not know the exact mechanism of action, we do know that it does that. It is not an MAOI, nor is it an SSRI. It is a unique antidepressant. Wellbutrin and DXM in normal theraputic doses do not cause any clinically significant drug interactions. That being said, Wellbutrin lowers your seizure threshold, meaning you can have seizures easier. DXM can do the same thing. I would be concerned that you may be prone to a seizure if you take massive doses of DXM while on Wellbutrin. I can't tell you what the chance would be, because drug studies on humans are not conducted using such high doses for ethical reasons, but I would be concerned.

9. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

seemed too wierd for me. and erowid said it did inhibi serotonin uptake, just not as much as conventionally classed SSRI's

but i wouldnt give my kid prozac either.

and it seems pretty unusual to me. reduce depression by increasing dopamine? that says something about the type of depression the person has doesnt it? meh id try anything before taking pharmaceutical psychoactives for actual medical purposes.

and i definately wouldnt let a doctor prescribe me something without telling me waht sort of drug it is. but thats just me. i read every ingredient list.

10. PhotoGra1

Well, if it works, it tells you that a patient has depression that is responsive to dopamine. If it doesn't work, it tells you that a patients depression is not responsive to dopamine. I can't think of anything else it tells you. . .

11. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

no but im saying the basis of dopamine is the reward system and stuff

12. PhotoGra1

That is correct. Dopamine is largely responsible for the reward system in our brain.

13. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i wouldnt mix anti depressends with any drug, maybe weed but thats about it

14. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

they, meaning my parents and the psychologist, tell me I'm deppresed, and that I'm too hard on myself. I personally, don't believe this is true. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that they told me I had add, and prescribed me concerta, which over the course of a year, I never took once, I just pretended, then flushed it, yet over that year they constantly told me how well I was doing, and all the improvement I was making. So yea...

On the other hand, chemical imbalances do tend to run in my family, as my mom hasx a tendency to get overly depressed and worried about stuff that doesn't really matter, and my dad, well I haven't seen his ass in a year, and couldn't be gladder about that. He was quite crazy.

Well, I've decided not to do DXM. Tell me, how do you think wellbutrin would affect drugs like shrooms, or lsd?

15. PhotoGra1

Again, I would be concerned about seizure. Chances are, you will be okay, but that is a hell of a chance to take for a few hours of fun.

I am not aware of any drug interaction studies with Wellbutrin and shrooms/LSD. I am also not aware of their effect on seizure threshold.

16. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

erowid said people who tried it with psychs like cid and shrooms didnt have any adverse reactions so yeh take from that as you will

17. Cyfiver

Cyfiver Guest

I've been taking the SNRI, Wellbutrin for over a year now. Started out at 150mg x1 Daily. then in the last 2 mos 150mg x2/d. Which is (next week) switching to the XR 300 x1 daily.

I've done 2c-i over 20 times. With amazing pos effects, and happyness. Never a bad trip.

DXM I've done about 10 times.. 8 of these while being on a different anti depressant (SSRI not... this one.. which is a SNRI) the last 2 attempts (i'm 220lb) with 200mg and 300mg of DXM to be honest.. just made me tired.. I didn't get the same wild high i used to.. Then again.. now i'm just taking the tussin 15mg Gel caps.. (which are JUST DXM) instead of mixing.. a Bottle of Cough medicine (which had Glucose or w/e in it.. *diarreah*) a few CCC's and some of those Chewable 20mg ones..

So essentially since I haven't mixed all 3 of those and just tried STRAIGHT gel capped 15mg DXM... I personally don't find it stimulating at all.. just tireing. Ontop of that though.. if i try something like 2c-i... or Acid.. type drugs.. wow the increase VS ammount taken is drastic. Now for things like.. Pot. Those tend to make me very very Anxious.

Anyway thats my 2 cents with Wellbutrin SR (150x1 and x2 daily) and soon XR (300x1 daily)

l8r