Phototron Advice?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by stewpadasso, Apr 20, 2005.

1. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

I have recently aquired a Phototron and I'm going to try to grow some White Widow in it.Does anyone here have any experience with the Phototron?

2. tiedye420

tiedye420 Member

Yeah I have one.
    been using them over 10 years.
    If you only want one plant ina little corner they are perfect.
    Mine is in storage because i need new bulbs for it. I might get them soon I have a prized mom i would like to put in it.
    Are you going to use the stock phototron formula ?
    I use potting soil in mine- I was very careful how i watered them because there is no drainage. They work better with a pc fan in the top -to draw air out through the top ,, which brings cool air up from underneath, where the leaves need the carbon most. Better to grow an indica dom in a phototron, They make flowering and veg bulbs for the hanging fixture. I never tried those yet- Im going to get both when i order new flouro's for it.
    And a lot of people talk real bad about phototrons, most of the people who do have never ran one right, or are interested in more commercial gains.
    IMHO A phototron is cool for a hobby grower,, easy to stick in a corner and doesn't need a lot of space. You can get decent product fairly simple, for much cheaper than market value. Can't lose there.cheap on electric too.seems like it was about ten bucks a month to run on 18/6.
    lemme know how the ww does in it eh.
    hey i know a stu-padassho. Your brother maybe?
    Later dude
    tiedye

3. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

Thanxx 4 the reply Tiedye420.I got my Phototron off of Ebay.I have seen them advertised for years and was always curious about them.Its a Phototron2.Not sure how old it is but it seems to be in good condition.Being that it is used I'm wondering if it has the right bulbs in it.I was at my local "Lowes" store and I seen that they have different kind of "U Bulbs".Are there certain types of bulbs for the Phototron?I want to make sure I have the right bulbs going into this project.What do you mean by stock phototron formula ?Is this nutrients or soil?I put potting soil in mine for now.I have 3 plants going right now in it while I am waiting for my W.W. seeds to arrive.Is it best just to stick to 1 plant?I want to make sure I have a female in the Tron B4 I decide on one plant.Do you have any advice on this?I will hook a PC fan on to mine like you said.Can you just use the power output for the top grow light to hook the fan up?Does a PC fan run on standard 110?I know I have a lot of questions I hope you dont mind.As far as watering goes.How often do you water them?Do you use a spray bottle or a watering can or both?I know they say that using a high pressure sodium bulb will give better yields but I'm only looking for enough for my head and my wifes head.The pot you grew in your phototron...did it turn out good with high potency?Well I guess that is enough questions for you for now.Thanks for the help.I will have to check my family tree on this stu-padassho.LOL.Peace.

4. tiedye420

tiedye420 Member

go to the phototron website for bulbs
    mine is a 2 also
    the formula was 4 like hydro or coco choir i think.never used it myself.
    id grow 3 to five at first- sex them and keep the branchiest female early, like 3 -5 weeks turn it to 12/12for sexing them.andjust keep the best- move the rest outside somewhere.

5. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

I laid aluminum foil down on the soil hoping to reflect more light.I also started in with a 15-30-15 Miracle grow formula (Wal-Mart Special)They are starting to responded after just one day.I have also 6 seedlings under a floro shop light with the same formula.As far as I can tell the phototron kicks ass compared to the Floro shop light.Time will tell.I have not started with the W.W. seeds yet.I think I want to let my first experimental grow be the bag weed seeds.Then collect data and then start the White Honeys.I am also thinking bout experimenting with a H.P.S.Don't know yet but damn growing is fun.Will keep this thread posted on my progress.Pics to come.Lets here from some of the viewers.Damn I'm gonna feel like shit at work 2morrow!

6. tiedye420

tiedye420 Member

sounds like you got it dialed.
    i'll be back to peek at the pics bro.
    good luck- you got me wanting to revive mine for a special mom ,or testing cuts by budding as few real small ones in there..
    later

7. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

Come on Tiedye420.Break out the Tron for the mother.It will make your life all that more interesting.

8. tiedye420

tiedye420 Member

she is in sunshine now, probably by the end of summerI will, but my electric bill for a travel trailer is already over 200 a month.. ouch.
    worth it ,though we are scraping by right now.

9. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

Well here are some pics at about 2 weeks progress.The three plants in the Phototron are doing well.Kinda slow growing I think but they have been transplanted 3 times till they got in thier resting places.The tempature here sucks so my growrooms average temp is around a chilly 50 degrees and sometimes colder.The weather was nice till I put the phototron in the attic.: ( The plants I have under the shop Floro suck ass pretty much.They are getting long and strigy as you can see in the pic.I have a cool and a warm light in the shop fixture but life does not look good under it.It may be to blame for the tempature.I have the light about 6-7 inches above them.Don't know if that is good or not.Well wanted to post pics.

10. tiedye420

tiedye420 Member

the ones in the tron look real nice

about that flourecent fixture you have though.
    the bulbs themselves need to be between 2 &4 inches away.
    to keep it about 2 inches away is best. but no closer.
    they should perk up fine.
    good luck hope it helps.

11. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

Well here are some pics of the Phototron plants at 6 weeks old.I have given up hope on the Attic growroom today.The temperature is just to damn cold going down to the high 30s at night and high ranging from 70-90.It seems to harsh for growing conditions.Can anyone give me any advice on these temps?I'm afraid that once it warms up here that the highs could go into the 100s during the day.Anyhow I have found a new indoor home at a friends house that seems to have an average temp of 70 degrees F.I have put a small fan at the bottom outside of the Phototron and have it blowing air into the Tron up and under the leaves.I'm hoping for better results at the Phototron's new home.Although the temps that they have been challenged in I don't think they look to bad (Maybe slow growing but I blame the enviroment).I have some yellowish brown spots forming on the leaves and am wondering what they represent.I wonder if the plants have been getting to much Nitrogen.I have been using the plant spikes and Miracle grow formula at full strength.I have been studying up today and have just realized not to feed them fert every watering so I am gonna back off with some pure water for the next couple waterings and alternate with and without as I go at 1/2 strength.I am going to wait till the plants reach the top of the Tron B4 I go 12/12 and hope for the best flowering.I have been thinking bout a 400watt High Pressure Sodium setup for flowering but am curious to see what the phototron can do on a complete cycle crop.What do you think Tiedye?I am also thinking on ordering some good Ferts.Ok I am gonna read up a bunch more and will post results again soon.Let me hear what you guys think.Thanks.

12. grouchy_old_dude

grouchy_old_dude Member

...you do know those plants will double, if not triple in size once you initiate 12/12......where do you plan to go with that new growth?..;)

13. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

No I did not know that grouchy.Wow I guess I would need an 2nd floor addition for my Tron.Would you recommend going 12/12 right now?I really though the vegetative growth stopped and the flowers came only on 12/12.Since my plants are only 6-8" tall I think I want to wait one more week now that the Tron is in a controlled enviroment to get some real growth.I have about 26" to the top so if the plants double in size in the 12/12 period I should be fine.Thanks for the tip and anymore advice would be great.

14. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

Can anyone give any ideas from experience on what nutrients to use for the flowering period.I know that backing off the Nitrogen is good but what is good after that?

15. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

I hate to break it to you, but a 'tron is just an expensive toy. No ventilation, no drainage.
    For $300.00 you could have bought a wardrobe (free-standing closet) or used an existing closet, provided ventilation, stuck a 400-watt HPS in there and grown a pound of phat sticky buds per crop.

I had a 'tron. It was my first indoor grow and the results were so poor (less than an ounce of light airy buds instead of dense nuggs) I gave up an indoor growing until a friend pointed me in the right direction.

I gave the 'tron away to a friend, he tried one crop with the same results.
    This thing got passed around and last time I heard in was in the corner of someone's garage, gathering dust.

If you're serious about growing, get a REAL set-up.
    If you willing to settle for low yield low-potency buds, a 'tron is fine.

P.S. I've heard that 'ton's are good for rooting clones.

16. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

Well say what you want bout the Tron.I have heard all this B4 in other posts.So far I am having fun with my tron.2 of the 3 plants turned out to be male so I chopped them.The other has buds all over her and looks great.The ventelation in the tron is great if you just lift up one of the panels a few inches and put a small face fan outside of the open panel.Like I said so far I am having fun so thats all that matters,I'm not out to sell my weed.Just want some smoke for the head.

17. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

Growing in a closet is fun too, but the end results are sooo much better.

18. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

I'm sure it is but right now I don't have that option.The Tron produces no heat and the electric bill is much cheaper.So right now untill I have that option I will tronastone myself.

19. stewpadasso

stewpadasso Member

Well here we are about 4 weeks into 12/12 with my phototron sweetie.So far she looks pretty cool.Stacking buds.Any feedback would be cool.

20. smileyjohn

smileyjohn Member

Stewpadasso, your gal looks a little sparse, but healthy. Congrats! FYI, I have had great success with a liquid concentrated nutrient called Flora Nova Bloom from General Hydro. As of Tuesday, a plant I have will have been in 12/12 for 4 weeks and she is showing 3-4 times the buds as the 1 in your pics. I don't know if the difference is related to nutrients, grow climate (I've a closet set-up) or just genes.