do diuretics work?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by VooDooPirate, Apr 7, 2005.

1. VooDooPirate

VooDooPirate Member

sometimes, well, quite often i will wake up with a lot of water weight, i mostly notice it in my face and under my chin, one day i can make myself have a double chin, the next i cant even pull any skin off of my chin its so tight, well right now i am in my water wieght stage and i just took an herbal diuretic. i was just wondering if anyone has had them work before, and what exactly is the purpose of diuretics? is their sole purpose to help lose water wieght or is their more to it?

2. sonador_hermosa

sonador_hermosa Member

they kinda dehydrate you. if you choose to take one, you'll be really thirsty. you'll need to drink a lot of water, and you'll also pee a LOT. hope you don't have to work or anything like that, because every time you drink, it'll almost go straight to your bladder. i've tried them before and it SUCKED for me because i already pee a lot as it is...lol...but yeah, their sole purpose is to dehydrate you so you'll appear marginally thinner. so, you get to be extremely thirsty and pee a lot more than normal to not have a double chin...may i ask, what's the point?

3. sonador_hermosa

sonador_hermosa Member

P.S. if you're on your period, water weight is inevitable. if you're not, maybe you should try cutting down your sodium intake. too much sodium can contribute to having a lot of water weight...

4. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

They aren't necessarily bad for you, but they aren't good for you. You've already got something called ADH (antidiuretic hormone) that is natural in your body. It basically removes water from your waste once it gets into your small intestine so that your body can stay hydrated and function correctly. Taking a diuretic inhibits this hormone.

It's never good to take diuretics unless you are severely constipated or have some sort of anal/intestinal exam. My thought is that it may be something you are eating, or perhaps not eating, that is causing the water retention. You should just call the doctor, don't even waste money going in, just call and ask if he/she has any opinion or thoughts on the matter.

Good luck anyway.

5. VooDooPirate

VooDooPirate Member

ok thanks, i always load up on water so i am just going to keep doing that and not put anything into my body that doesnt need to be there. and my "Point" at trying them was to see if i would be less "puffy" but i think it has a lot to do with my sodium intake from a few days ago, i just dont feel like myself when i am like that, i dunno its wierd to explain it just makes me feel like i gained 10 lbs overnight, its wierd, but i def. dont need to get dehydrated just for the sake of beauty, thats horrible. so bring on the puffiness!

6. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Diuretics have absolutely NOTHING to do with constipation, your anus, or your intestines. Diuretics encourage your body to shed water. Caffiene and alcohol are both diuretics, thats why you pee alot when you drink liquor or coffee. Diuretics can alter your electorlytes, specifically potassium and sodium, so they should be used sparingly unless prescribed. I am not aware of an herbal diuretic, or of any benefit from taking an herbal one vs a pharmaceutical one. I would recommend using a product that has been proven to be both safe and effective, such as Diurex (OTC).

Diuretics are first line treatment for high blood pressure. If you are one of those people with chronically low blood pressure, you probably shouldn't use them without supervision of your doctor. Also, if you get dizzy when standing, while taking the diuretic, it is causing orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure), and you should discontinue using them unless prescribed.

7. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

True, also for congestive heart failure patients.

When taken, you basically keep water in your digestive track, as opposed to your body (the digestive track is external from your body). Since water follows salt, or vice versa, salt will be pissed away, sometimes at an unhealthy rate. Of course like photo said, you can also become low in potassium, which is more dangerous than low salt. They can cause vomiting, muscle cramps, and diarrhea among a plethera of other things. I still remain, I wouldn't take them, but meh, I'm not you. If you have water retention, and only on some days, chances are pretty high that you have too much salt in your body, which isn't anything that water can't fix.

...then again, what does my opinion count as? I don't think people should take medication for anything anyway, especially when they've been self diagnosed or are just "trying" something.

8. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

the more water you drink, the less your body holds onto.

drink up!