Would A Physical Disability Make A Difference To You?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by BrownTripleQQ, Apr 4, 2005.

1. BrownTripleQQ

BrownTripleQQ Member

Would you have a problem dating a male/female who had a physical disability???

2. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

yes. I would. It's awful that I do, I wish it didn't bother me, but I wouldn't date someone with a physical disability, unless it was a very minor one.

3. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I've dated a guy who was deaf...that didn't bother me. Being a parapalegic or quadrapalegic, I'm not sure...Probably not. It's sad to say, but I don't think I could handle the responsibility of that...

As far as being deaf or blind. I don't have a problem with that. I think those things are less of an issue anyway...

Maybe I'm wrong.

4. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

It would depend on the severity. I could date a blind, deaf, or someone in a wheel chair or something like that.

5. _see_

_see_ Member

6. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

No I wouldnt actually...

7. kier

kier I R Baboon

sadly, i quite possibly would...it depends what it was

8. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

It would depend on what was wrong... I think aslong as I didnt have to be a Care giver... I wouldnt mind helping them.. But to have to help them constantly would probably be where I draw the line... So as long as they were mostly self sufficent I would probably date them

9. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

No, if I were single and dating, it wouldn't matter to me. It's the person inside that counts. Love is for everyone. :)

10. Sabel

Sabel Member

yeah you're right.. love is for everyone.
    but would you seriously consider dating a guy in a wheelchair?
    that brings a lot of trouble along..

I don't think I could do that..
    yeah.. I know it's pretty sad..
    but I wanna live an easy life..
    and dating someone in a wheelchair would make everything more difficult

11. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

that sounds pretty selfish imo....

12. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I had a crush on a deaf guy in high school, and I necked with a guy in a wheelchair, ....his feet were paralized from a broken back. I would have dated him but he lived too far away. Weird injury though, as he could move his legs, but couldn't walk because of his feet.

So it doesn't bother me. I'm married now, and if anything happened to my man, like loss of a limb.....I'm not going anywhere. :D

13. Welsh Werecat

Welsh Werecat Member

I enjoy my single life too much to want to date.

But, if it came down to it, no physical disability would matter to me, love is love. Just because a person has a disability doesn't mean they are unworthy of love. And just think about what you could learn form a relationship like that. You would learn to be thankfull for what you DID have, that's for sure. So, no, I wouldn't have a problem dating someone with a disability.

14. Happy girl

Happy girl Member

I dont see how it would matter... one of my best friends is in a wheelchair... so I dont think dating someone in a wheelchair would be difficult... The person just doesnt get around the same way as I do... so its not really a big deal.

15. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

No, in fact there's something strangely appealing about the prospect. I think I'm just drawn to people who lead atypical lives.

16. ThinkPeace85

ThinkPeace85 Member

Well, I can honestly say that although it may bother me for selfish reasons sometimes, I know for a fact that it is not something that would keep me from spending the rest of my life with someone. As much as I wish I could take away their physical condition, I know that it's something we can work through, with love, anything is possible.

17. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

I'm not sure, really. You never know yourself until the moment of choice. And even then, I obviously won't think "Oh, she's a great girl in every way, but she's blind so I'll never date her" but just that I don't see a spark, and that I don't really love her. Or maybe I will love her despite her disability. You never know.

18. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

It wouldn't matter in the least. I actually liked a girl that had to use crutches for the rest of her life...something with her ankle.:& Gawd she was beautiful.

19. physical disibilitise would be utterly irrelevant, I grew up in a house with my father in a wheelchair, he has a colostomy now (if you don't know you don't want to) I can deal with utterly anything, stairs are nice and I would like someone who I could hike with but if those aren't options those aren't options case closed, that is how it is

20. lynsey

lynsey Banned

if i were single i wouldnt date someone with a disability because i like guys who are strong caretakers and i guess i would percieve someone with a disability as weaker then i and that wouldnt be comftrable for me. if something happened to my boyfriend now i wouldnt think of leaving his side and i would be okay with switching roles and learning to be loved differently because my love for him is stronger then my desire to be taken care of.